Needle Biopsy

heidi36

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering has anyone ever had this procedure performed and if so was it in a hospital or doctor's office and was it painful.

Hi,
I assume you are talking about a needle biopsy to detect cancer in the breast tissue. Yes I had this procedure done. I was really scared as is everyone I think. It turned out to be benign thankfully. I was told that the vast majority of these turn out to be benign. It did not hurt really. They first gave me a mild sedative/tranquilizer and then I was given a local -- the local stung a bit when given. I hardly felt the needle go in, just a sensation of pressure. He took half of the tumor so it was like a partial lumpectomy (sp?) but it was done with a long needle. It did not hurt afterwards until days later when I rolled over in my sleep on to the area and by doing so it pulled at the tissue and ouch!. This procedure was done in an out-patient surgical suite that was associated with a hospital. I felt that I had received the best of care in this setting. I hope your experience will be as easy as mine.

Prepare yourself though. When they do a needle or partial lumpectomy, they leave the original benign tumor behind. The insertion of the needle can cause some scaring which will change the appearance of your mammogram. Be sure that the place that does your mammograms has your x-rays before you go in for next year's mammogram. Sometimes they end up being stored at the hospital which was where mine were. They will need them for comparative purposes. Do not assume that the surgeon will return them to the radiology place, or that he will have them. When all is well, it would be a good idea to find out where they are and take them to the place where you will have your next mammogram. I spent a very frantic week trying to locate them because no one could find them. I finally tracked them down to the hospital which was blocks from where I had the procedure done. When you go back for mammograms in the future, they might very well require you to go back for more views and/or ultrasound -- because they will be seeing a change in the tissue as a result of the biopsy and they have to make sure of what they are seeing. For the next three years in a row, after this initial procedure, I had to have follow-ups. Each time I was scared to death. This last time I decided to take the attitude that until they tell me otherwise, I would not worry and just assume this is routine. This last time I did not go in a bundle of nerves and I just let the gal do it. I didn't ask questions, went home, and assumed all was fine until I was informed otherwise. It worked, this was the first time I did not scare myself. And this year was the first year I did not have to go back for further views.

Wishing you the best. McC

Thanks mcC,

The surgeon is doing this procedure in his office. But he is not giving me a sedative, he told me that's up to my general practitioner. He will, of course, numb the area, but I have a huge phobia regarding needles.

The surgeon feels my mass is not malignant but says just to be sure, he will take a sample.

Take care

My mother in law had one done about 2 weeks ago.She seemed to be a little sore the day after but in a couple of days she was back to herself.
The scary thing for her was the report that followed last week.She has two lumps in her breast,both being cancer.We all took it very hard the first day.She went back to the Dr. today and got a good report.The lumps or the breast can be removed,the cancer isn't anywhere else and she may not have to have radiation done either.
Lori:)

Lori,

Although I'm sorry for the diagnosis, I'm glad that your MIL won't need to go through the rigors of radiation or chemo.

They do say that 80% of all breast lumps are beneign.

Good luck to you and your family.:)

Hi again,

Indeed, it is better to be safe than sorry. Each surgeon has their own set-up. So for me to say I had it in an out-patient surgical facility is not to say that what your doctor is doing isn't as good. I assume he was recommended to you. Chances are, as in my case, this doctor specializes in this sort of thing and knows all the latest procedures on how best to do it. It was not like an operating room at all, but they had special equipment for this task. Chances are your doctor has similar equipment. Many years ago I had skin cancer which resulted in me losing part of my face -- I had extensive reconstructive surgery and it was done in the surgeon's office which is not that unusual when it comes to reconstructive and plastic surgeons. So surgery in a doctor's office is not that unusual.

Regarding the sedative, I found it to be totally useless when I had the breast biopsy, those things tend to make me jittery rather than calm me down. But that was the way this particular surgeon did it. You could always ask your GP about it, tell him how fearful you are of needles.

In terms of the needles, the way he did it, I could not see the needles. I would suggest closing your eyes and try thinking about something else. Perhaps you could use this time to devise an entirely new Cathe rotation. On Mondays, you will do PUB followed by......... Do your best to distract yourself. You might tell the nurse of your fears and ask her to engage you in conversation -- ask her if she has children, the history of her education whatever, anything so as not to think about what is going on. Hang in there and take care. Again, wishing you the best. Let us know how it goes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.