Need Your Thoughts and Prayers

melagras

Cathlete
My sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer and today she had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. I haven't heard any news yet about how the surgery went.

I was told they won't know what stage she is in until they test the breasts. Why would they not know the stage before surgery? Is this normal?

When I talked to my brother last week, he seemed to be "lost." If anyone out there has been through this, can you tell me what she will be dealing with during recovery?

A co-worker of mine has just been through this. She was diagnosed with breast cancer about a year ago. She was told it was stage 3, I believe. She was given six months of weekly chemotherapy to shrink the tumor. In June she had a double mastectomy with reconstruction.(she chose mastectomy, said she didn't want to go through this again.) Went through six weekly sessions of radiation. She has been at work now, for about 21/2 months. Her hair is growing, and she looks great. She is young, (has a 3 year old daughter) we are all wishing and hoping for the best.

I wish your sister-in-law, and your family the best. Like Clare stated "hold each other close." Life is about friends and family. Sending positive vibes.

Awe I'm so sorry, hugs to you and your family. As for the staging, testing all the lymph nodes which were removed during surgery is part of the process, as well as testing the tissue for hormones (estrogen/ progesterone i believe) amongst other things. All the results put together will help dictate which treatment is best for her. So difficult :(

Very, very happy to hear that it has not spread to the lymphatic system. Been through similar situations with a couple of Aunts of mine and a good friend. I believe they have to test the biopsied tissue to determine stage, type of cancer etc as jamie has said to determine follow up treatments. Yes, it is so overwhelming isn't it?
Sending your SIL, brother & your entire family wishes of strength & good health.
((Hug)) to you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, SIL, brother, family & friends. This is a tough time for you all. Happy that the lymph nodes weren't involved, hope other tests come back in your favor as well.

SIL will need help with lifting while recuperating from surgery. Groceries, housework, cooking. If you have a church, synagogue, mosque, etc., they might have a group that helps in these situations. It's good to take advantage of outside help while the family deals with the emotional toll of a cancer diagnosis.

Your SIL will likely have scars from the surgery. Whatever can be done to make her feel beautiful, womanly will go a long way.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. I hope you'll be able to report back that she's cancer free in the future. :)

My thoughts and prayers are with you, SIL, brother, family & friends. This is a tough time for you all. Happy that the lymph nodes weren't involved, hope other tests come back in your favor as well.

SIL will need help with lifting while recuperating from surgery. Groceries, housework, cooking. If you have a church, synagogue, mosque, etc., they might have a group that helps in these situations. It's good to take advantage of outside help while the family deals with the emotional toll of a cancer diagnosis.

Your SIL will likely have scars from the surgery. Whatever can be done to make her feel beautiful, womanly will go a long way.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. I hope you'll be able to report back that she's cancer free in the future. :)

My mother and father and my SIL's mother and father are retired so they can help during the day. I also have two other sisters (one who is a nurse) who can help. She also has a brother and three sisters so I think she will be good to go as far as help is concerned.

Melagras, I'm sending positive vibes your way! Your brother and sister-in-law are lucky to have you and the rest of your family for support....LOVE one another!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.