need vacation ideas

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Hey everyone.

We are trying to plan a summer vacation and are stuck. We live outside of Chicago and are driving to keep drive time under 8 hours. So we are looking at a 300-400 mile radius. DS is 8, and doesn't much care as long as the hotel has a pool. (shoot, I can go across town for that - save some $$) DH likes outdoorsy stuff, gardens, etc. I'm open to pretty much anything, but nothing sounds fun to me. I think I'm just not in vacation planning mood. We are thinking of a week or so long trip. We've done Wisconsin Dells, Frakenmouth, Springfield, Peoria (just a wkend trip - not a whole lot there), day trips to Chicago. We haven't done St Louis, but DH was there every year when he was a kid, so we want something new. I was thinking Gatlinburg, but thats where we got married, and DH wants to do something new. We are also not wanting to spend a TON of money, either.

We are down to -

Mall of America - seems kinda boring, I've been to a million malls and amusement parks

Kentucky - caves seem fun, but can I spend a week in caves? We got their brochures, but doesn't seem like alot of 8 yr old activities

Branson - DH came down with a definitive NO on that one

Hershey, PA - its a long drive, but chocolate is good. But, its just another amusement park. We have a Great America an hour away.

I know somewhere I am missing the coolest spot ever, but I just don't know what it is. It all just seems like a big ol' pain the booty.

Hey Nan,

I am only 3 1/2 hours form Herhsey and love it....My son is 9 and my daughter is 13 and both would go back in blink. I had fun as well. You could also go to Gettysburg, PA which is about 40 minutes away and see a lot of historial things as well.

This would be my pick if none of you have ever been. You don't need to stay on Hershey either....there are many great hotels right there at Hershey.

Therese

What about Lake of the Ozarks?

It has boating, fishing, golfing, camping/cabins, shopping(lots of outlet malls), and amusement type activities like miniature golfing etc.

Hershey has the park, a nice rose garden, a musuem, a zoo (small) and Chocolate World. You are also within driving distance of Lancaster and Gettysburg.

What about Pittsburgh? It's closer than Hershey and has cool museums, a nice zoo, a baseball team...

Ooh Gettysburg is a great idea! Also, what about a state park? I live in Ohio and we have some gorgeous state parks with lodgings in various price ranges. They offer all sorts of outdoorsy activities -- horseback riding, canoeing, hiking, etc. Surely there must be something like that within the driving range you're looking for.

My son (who will be 8 in April) go to Hershey Park every summer. It is really nice but we only live a bit over an hour from it. You also don't need to stay in Hershey although I'd love to stay at the Hershey Hotel. They are supposed to be putting in an indoor ice-skating rink this summer and the spa is wonderful.

I like Michele's idea too. If you're doing a week vacation you could do Hershey 1-2 days, then Gettysburg, and I bet you could find a nice state park as well.

I don't post ever, but what about Michigan! I live in western MI close to the lake and it is beautiful in the summer. Grand Haven, Ludington, all the way up to Traverse City, SLeeping Bear Dunes, Petosky, Harbor Springs great beach towns and gorgeous beaches! Top it off in Mackinaw with a trip to the island! There is really so much to see and do! I've lived here my whole life and sometimes I forget how beautiful it is here in the summer! Truly spoiled to whip my kids in the car for an afternoon at the beach!

Have fun planning! STS should have you ready for all the sand dune climbing and running back down if you decide to head north!

Cheryl

I live in Michigan, too, and highly recommend the east coast of Lake Michigan. It truly is a spectacular place with accommodations in all price ranges. Petoskey and Harbor Springs are pricier, but you don't have to stay there the whole time.

Not in Michigan, but the Hocking Hills area of Ohio is magnificent. It's like a secret, though, nobody seems to know about it. I'm guessing that's not far from Michele. <wink>

Try the Michigan and Ohio travel sites. I know Michigan is offering some really great deals right now in order to bring people in. Our economy is even worse than most places and tourism is a huge industry in our state. With people canceling/not going on vacations this year, it's going to hit us hard. I just heard on the radio the other day that they're going to start a marketing campaign in surrounding states.

anne

I don't post ever, but what about Michigan! I live in western MI close to the lake and it is beautiful in the summer. Grand Haven, Ludington, all the way up to Traverse City, SLeeping Bear Dunes, Petosky, Harbor Springs great beach towns and gorgeous beaches! Top it off in Mackinaw with a trip to the island! There is really so much to see and do! I've lived here my whole life and sometimes I forget how beautiful it is here in the summer! Truly spoiled to whip my kids in the car for an afternoon at the beach!
Cheryl

I'll second this! The Traverse City area and the dunes offer a lot of variety and fun. We're hoping to get back up to Mackinac Island ourselves this year as it's been a few years and the boys were too young to even remember it. On the Island, Mission Pointe Resort is a great place for families. http://www.missionpoint.com/

Another Michigander here! I agree with Cheryl and Anne. We have lots of beautiful lakes and beaches. And in Muskegon there's an amusement park, Michigan Adventure, that is owned by the same group that owns Cedar Point in Ohio. We spent a week in Oscoda, MI last summer. It's on the sunrise side of Lake Huron. We rented a house with 100' of sandy beach. My three dds, 9,6, and 2 loved it! You can't go wrong choosing our state for a vacation:)

Okay, I have to agree that Michigan is an absolutely lovely place to vacation. My DH and I have been to Mackinac Island many times and it's an absolutley beautiful place with tons of stuff to do!! I haven't been to any of the other spots mentioned, but you can't go wrong with Mackinac Island!!

I live in Michigan, too, and highly recommend the east coast of Lake Michigan. It truly is a spectacular place with accommodations in all price ranges. Petoskey and Harbor Springs are pricier, but you don't have to stay there the whole time.

Not in Michigan, but the Hocking Hills area of Ohio is magnificent. It's like a secret, though, nobody seems to know about it. I'm guessing that's not far from Michele. <wink>

Try the Michigan and Ohio travel sites. I know Michigan is offering some really great deals right now in order to bring people in. Our economy is even worse than most places and tourism is a huge industry in our state. With people canceling/not going on vacations this year, it's going to hit us hard. I just heard on the radio the other day that they're going to start a marketing campaign in surrounding states.

anne

Hocking Hills is stunning!!! It's not that close to me, though, darn it, or I'd go more often!! According to the driving directions, it's a 7 hour drive from Chicago. Here's a link to the website: http://www.hockinghills.com/index.html

Last edited:
another michigander (or since im a girl i guess youd call me a michigoose!)

we take a week+ in traverse every year. we love it!
we get a condo on the bay and love it!!
we go canoeing, go to the dunes, and the shopping downtown tc is fantastic!

good luck deciding!!!!

I second Gettysburg and Hershey. We used to live in Paxtuxent River MD and I am a sucker for historical sites. :) Good luck!

St. Louis is out?

I know you said St. Louis is out, but there's so much fun stuff to do here (yes I'm partial because I live here)! The zoo is awesome and FREE, the art museum is awesome (real mummy for the kids) and FREE, brewery tours, baseball games (you can hit the minor league games which are fun and cheap), a great botanical garden, lots of great restaurants, an amazing children's attraction called the Magic House, etc, etc. I could go on and on. And we're only about 4-5 hours drive from you. Good luck and have fun wherever you decide to go.
Paula

I live in Ohio and have been to Western MI on vacation with my family and we had a wonderful time!

In Ohio, one of our favorite places is African Wildlife Safari Park. One of those places you can drive through and feed the animals out of your car. It's hilarious - we ended up with animal slobber all over our van. Giraffes, buffalo, deer, etc. It's close to Cedar Point amusement park, too, along with some of those indoor waterpark hotels. There's also Seneca Caverns where you explore an underground cave. In the Toledo area, there's a wonderful children's science museum called COSI - that was a whole day right there for my kids who have a big age span between them. I live outside of Cleveland and we did all of those things one year when we didn't want to travel far and had a great time exploring part of our state.

I'm not sure how far Niagara Falls would be for you, but that's a great place to visit - tons to do.

Good luck!

Erica

Black Hill of SD!

The Black Hills of SD are a awesome place to go on family vacation. The drive would be about 12-13 hours (so it might be out for this year based on your plans) but definitely something to consider in the future.

You can see Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, tons of caves and trails, museums, water parks, opportunities for camping, swimming, hiking, Deadwood & Keystone (Wild West Stuff), old mining towns, Bear Country USA (Drive - through wildlife part), Reptile Gardens - and plenty of other things - it is truly a place everyone should visit once in their lifetime.

I grew up in South Dakota :)

MN has is SO much more than the Mall of Ameica.

Biking, hiking, walking, golfing, fishing, camping, boating, riverboat cruises...You can get all of that in the Twin Cities area. Or you can travel up to North Central MN to the Brainerd Lakes area. and stay at a resort, hotel, or campground (depending on your budget).Tons to do-Paul Bunyon Trail, boating, golfing, putt-putt, go karts, unique gift shops, etc. It is warm here in the summer. :) And in Minnesota, the summer is not complete until you've gone to the Minnesota State Fair--so much to see, do, and EAT-lol!

Check out www.exploreminnesota.com

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.