Need treadmill recommendations

sophiem

Cathlete
My husband and I would like to buy a treadmill for home, but there are so many out there, I'm not sure how to narrow it down. It should be good quality (in the sense that I don't want it to wear out or fall apart) but it can be basic and doesn't have to have a million bells and whistles. We're watching our pennies, so I'm thinking maybe I should be checking Play It Again Sports for used. I've never bought anything mechanical used, however, so not sure whether that's wise. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I just purchased a treadmill after doing a lot of research online. There were a few things that were important to me ~

~ I don't have a lot of room so it had to fold
~ Had to be rated high on the consumer reviews
~ Had to be quiet
~ Under $1500
~ Good warranty

Those were the key things I was looking for so I went to treadmilldoctor.com and looked around. I narrowed the brand down to the smooth or the sole based on everything I was reading. I then figured I didn't want the base models but didn't need the super high end either, so that narrowed it from the sole f80 to the smooth 6.25. Both have lifetime warranties on their motors. I ended up going with the f80 because for the same price you get a few more bells and whistles.

I don't know if that helps you but both smooth and sole do have a model that is about $1000 and have free shipping and both were rated very high.

I looked at Play it Again sports and they had a horizon T81 for about $600 that was a folding model. I'm sure it would have been fine but the reviews didn't rate it very well and the warranty was only 3 years.

If you are going more for the economy route, a lot of people like the proforms from sears. There are gals on another board I visit (yayas) that have had their sears proforms for 10+ years. Yes you need to do a bit more maintenance on them but they seem to last.

>Love the 15% incline!

You are freakin' mad! :p ;)

I have a Horizon Elite treadmill that I LOVE. Consumer Reports rated it as a Best Buy (this was 2 years ago, of course), and we got a super deal on it because the store was trying to clear out their inventory to make room for the next year's models. As a side note, in case anyone considers purchasing a Horizon treadmill, Horizon Elite treadmills are NOT the same as the Horizon treadmills that are sold at Dick's. The ones at Dick's are of a lower quality, with shorter warranties.

If I had to do it all over again, I wish I had known about the Treadmill Doctor website when I bought mine - I might have made a different choice. Maybe.... or maybe not. I'm pretty happy with the treadmill we got, and we've had it for 2 years, no problems.

I'd do some "window" shopping at your local stores but ultimately would do some online research as far as reviews and purchase from an online wholesaler where you can get a much cheaper model. Also be aware that if you have it delivered either from either an online store or a local sporting goods store, they sometimes charge to a) deliver actually INTO your house rather than leaving it in the driveway and b) there is sometimes a charge from them to put it together, which I think is worth it b/c ours came with many bits and pieces!

I'd definitely look for the warranty on the belt/motor and if the belt is shock absorbing and quiet.

6 months ago i bought a horizon fitness treadmill. I LOVE IT. off hand i don't know the model name but can get it for you if you want. it goes to 12% incline and 12mph. it has super shock absorbing springs to reduce inpact and it is super quiet which is great for my 5a.m. workouts.

I would go and try some first. Big difference in quality especially if you are going to be jogging or running on it. I don't think you can buy Sole in stores but I was told that Spirit and Sole are made by the same people. I was also told that Treadmill doctor used to work for Spirit (just hearsay). I relly liked the feel of the Nautilus but they were just to much money. Anyway I picked out one (a Quantum) and had it delivered. It was ugly and just could not see the buttons good and was to shaky when jogging. I went back and looked at the Nautilus and fell in love. The one I wanted with the pretty blue LED screen was just to much money but after drooling over it for awhile the salesman knocked $600.00 off the price. I traded back for it and it is sleek and sturdy and I love it. I figured I might as well get what I wanted and looked good sitting in the great room with the TV. Hubby still does not know how much I paid for it and I make sure and throw out the bowflex catalog they send before he gets a chance to look through it and see the prices.

Susan

I bought a Smooth 9.25HR almost two years ago. I researched and researched and decided to buy either a Smooth or a Sole. We needed something in our price range but one that my 280lb 6'2" fiance could run on and not break. (He's now at 220 - yeah for him!) I searched Craigslist and Ebay for almost two months and found our barely used treadmill for $1300...way under 1/2 of retail.

As for buying used...get details about how it was used. Try it out and rev it up to it's highest speed & incline and see if it makes any weird noises. Ask to see the receipt so you can verify how long they've had it. We bought ours from a retiring teacher who was selling all of her fitness stuff which she obviously didn't use. :)

I love it and would recommend the Smooth line anytime. I am hoping to add one of their elipticals to my future workout room!

I'll add my two cents. My hubby and I bought a Precor treadmill a year ago as our dual Christmas present, and so far, so good. I believe we spent somewhere between $1500 - $1800, I think we could have gotten a cheaper model, but the more expensive models had programs which we thought we would use. Actually, I found that I usually just get on it and go, and my hubby does more of the programs, but it's nice to have the options.

My main recommendation is to make sure you are getting a sturdy machine. I would definitely suggest going to a store and trying out different models. I used to run pretty heavy and like to run fast intervals, so at the stores I kicked that baby up as fast as I could handle, and put the incline really high to make sure it wasn't shaky. The salesmen didn't think anything of it.

Also, even though I know many people who bought online and and at general sporting stores and have been happy, the specialty stores seem to offer much better service/warranties. You want to know that if something breaks down, it will be taken care of and you won't be paying $$$$ for repairs. Also, the specialty stores are more willing to negotiate price with you. They want your business, and pretty much all of those sticker prices are starting points.

Everyone seems to have made some great suggestions and I know we really like our Precor, but in the end it's what works for you. I think a treadmill is a great investment and you will get a lot of use out of it.

Stay away from Keys! We bought one several years ago. The first year, I bet the repair man came to our house at least four times to fix it, everything from the belt to the computer. They finally sent us another one, and though we didn't have computer issues with it, the bearings went out, the platform wasn't stable and it still cut off spontaneously. My husband took it apart and decided there were flaws in the design. I'm not sure what he took off (there was quite a bit) but it's been running fine since. However, that darn treadmill costs over $1000, and for all the hassle we've had with it, it most definitely isn't worth it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.