Need to increase my potassium

wgilchrist

Cathlete
Help!
My Internist called me to let me know that my potassium is very low and suggested that I start drinking 8 oz low sodium v8 twice a day. I have been extrememly sluggish lately and have been reaching for sugar as a pick-me-up. (sigh) :mad:
I am 36 and have been on HBP meds for the past 7yrs since having my first of three kids. My BP is great now but only since I am taking two pills to control it!:confused:
Any suggestions for natural sources of potassium.
Everyday I eat...
apple, bluberries, oatmeal, spinach, red bell peppers, cucumbers, almond butter, whole grain bread, quinoa, rice milk, chicken or hummus...just to name a few foods.

NutritionData.com has a search feature which will allow you to search by nutrient.
under tools is the nutrient search tool.
It will let you select up to 3 nutrients to search by, the result can then be limited by food type.

according to the site the following fruits are high in potassium:
apricots, bananas, lychee, prunes, raisins, dates, figs.

Vegetables high in potassium:
sun-dried tomatoes, hearts of palm, beet greens, potatoes, spinach, parsley, Swiss chard, bamboo shoots, cilantro, grilled portabello mushrooms, purslane, sweet potato, kale, squash.

Nuts & Seeds:
Pistachios, chestnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, almonds

Those are just the highlights, tons of stuff have potassium, even cream of tartar.

Have fun!

Thank you So much for this info it is really helpful. :) I would rather increase my potassium through healthy foods than rely solely on supplements and this will help me accomplish that.

NutritionData.com has a search feature which will allow you to search by nutrient.
under tools is the nutrient search tool.
It will let you select up to 3 nutrients to search by, the result can then be limited by food type.

according to the site the following fruits are high in potassium:
apricots, bananas, lychee, prunes, raisins, dates, figs.

Vegetables high in potassium:
sun-dried tomatoes, hearts of palm, beet greens, potatoes, spinach, parsley, Swiss chard, bamboo shoots, cilantro, grilled portabello mushrooms, purslane, sweet potato, kale, squash.

Nuts & Seeds:
Pistachios, chestnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, almonds

Those are just the highlights, tons of stuff have potassium, even cream of tartar.

Have fun!

Coconut Water has loads of potassium. I use it instead of water in my protein shakes. Whole Foods has it in their produce section. Some refer to it as the "natural Gatorade" because it is so hydrating.

Coconut Water has loads of potassium. I use it instead of water in my protein shakes. Whole Foods has it in their produce section. Some refer to it as the "natural Gatorade" because it is so hydrating.

Thank you! Wow, It has a lot more potassium than V8 (which my Dr suggested). The taste is not bad either.:p I truly appreciate the help.
Sincerely,

IMO, coconut water is also much more healthful all around than V-8. A better "V-8" would be a homemade version.

Cacao (raw chocolate) and carob are also high in potassium.

I'm thinkig a 'high-potassium smoothie" as follows: 10-12 oz coconut water, 1 frozen banana (size depends on how sweet you want it), 1 T each carob powder and cacao powder, dash of vanilla (you could also add a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.

Coconut Water has loads of potassium. ... Some refer to it as the "natural Gatorade" because it is so hydrating.
Some more fascinating coconut water facts (in case that sort of thing interests you, as it does me): It's also used as a sports drink (instead of Gatorade) by Brazilian soccer teams (and some other South American sports teams), and coconut water straight from the coconut has been used in war time for transfusions, since its electrolyte content is very similar to that of human blood.

I've tried a couple of different brands, and like "One" the best (I buy it by the case from Amazon.com).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.