Need new shoes, any referrels???

Heidisue

Cathlete
My shoes have had it but I am not sure where to start. I don't want to go too... expensive but I need good ones. Probably in between $50-$100. My feet are in between flat and low arch (if that's possible!!!). What do you think? What shoes do you have? Oh, and I usually do cross training and a little bit of running.

I actually posted a similar topic a few days ago, but didn't get a response. The brand that Cathe and most people on the forums seem to prefer, though, is Ryka. I just ordered a new pair (that haven't arrived yet) on Ebay from WalkingSue7 that several forum members recommended. I ended up ordering a pair of studio shoes since they are supposed to be good for step, kickboxing, and general training.

You might try searching the forums under "shoes" for more ideas.

Good luck!
Leanne

Heidisue,

I would recommend getting a pair of running shoes AND cross-trainers. If you run regularly, you need shoes specific to running. And since every foot is different, it's impossible to make a recommendation. Your best bet is to go to a running specialty store like Fleet Feet where you will get personalized attention from knowledgeable staff to find the shoe that's right for you.

As far as the cross-trainers, I have noticed that they aren't as easy to find near me anymore. Most of the shoes out there are geared to running, it seems. I just went to the store and tried on a bunch. I know a lot of folks here wear Rykas and I checked them out, but I didn't like the ones I tried and wound up going with an Asics model. IMO, our feet are so unique, we're better off NOT putting too much stock in the recommendations from others.

Good luck!

Leanne,
Sorry your post didn't get any responses. I had a busy back-to-school week and probably blitzed right past it b/c I don't wear or know much about the Rykas. I do hear positive things about them, but they just didn't work out for me this time.

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

>
>Leanne,
>Sorry your post didn't get any responses. I had a busy
>back-to-school week and probably blitzed right past it b/c I
>don't wear or know much about the Rykas. I do hear positive
>things about them, but they just didn't work out for me this
>time.
>
>[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy
>[/font face]
>http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
>"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and
>the persons we were destined to be."
-George Sheehan

Hi Cathy,

No worries! Thanks for getting back to me today! Now I'm a bit nervous about having ordered the Rykas, but figure that they're worth a shot. I appreciate the help!
Leanne

Thanks Cathy & Diane Sue! I have been searching for new shoes too... it is more difficult than last time, I've ordered about 4 pairs from zappos & shoes.com due to the free shipping- so nice! Still no avail though, I book marked that website and will be checking it out this afternoon for sure!! :)

I recommend going to the New Balance store and talking to the salespeople there. They're trained in knowing what you need, and I'm always happy with what I get there. I love New Balance. I've tried lots of other brands, and always come back to New Balance.

I personally love Asics- for running and step shoes. The cross trainer ones are perfect for the Imax and Drill Max drills/intervals. Great support.

To me, the Rykas fit strange. Too old school, high top feeling for me. It rubbed my ankle bone.

I personally love Asics- for running and step shoes. The cross trainer ones are perfect for the Imax and Drill Max drills/intervals. Great support.

To me, the Rykas fit strange. Too old school, high top feeling for me. It rubbed my ankle bone.

Ryka N-gage studio are wonderful, make sure they are the studio, I get all my Rykas from a seller on ebay, Walkin something Sue, can't remember right now
If you want me to look it up, email me at [email protected]

Karen:7

My advice... please don't buy a brand of shoes for your feet based on what works well for someone else's feet!! I can't stress enough that everyone is different. You won't know what works for you unless you go somewhere that has multiple brands, plus knowledgeable sales people. This will allow you to get their expert advice, try out several different brands and then purchase accordingly. Someone above mentioned Fleet Feet. This is where I buy all my workout/running shoes. They are good at what they do, and not only that, they stand behind what they sell. If you're not satisfied, you can return your shoes even if you've worn them.

i just ordered new asics. they supply the cushioning for running but they also added support for lateral movements. it is a cross training shoe. they were 103 bucks.

I wear the Asics gel fx after years of looking for the "perfect" shoe. I love them (for my foot). They are perfect for kickboxing, step, weight training.... My foot used to go numb in my other cross trainers, but not these. That being said, everyone feet are different.
Good luck!

I just wanted to second some of what Jean Marie says. Everyone has different feet. I need a large toe box and shoes for a pronater. I check reviews of all different brands. The website I posted gave me some that helps me make my choices. I have been wearing Saucony's for a long time now. I just ordered some Mizuno Wave Renegade. I did go to New Balance once which is what Nacy recommends. I heard wonderful things but I think since it was a new store the guy that measured me etc. was not a lot of help. I did find that I had two different foot sizes so buy and 8 for both feet. I had been buying a size 7 1/2 for years. So it was worthwhile. Take care of those feet. They do a lot for us:D

http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

Hi

I second that. I also need a large toe box and I actually found Asics Gel FX to work well for me. I bought the shoes from the Fitness magazine recommendation. I usually get a lot of cramps and pain in my feet during and after the workouts, but no more. GEL FX is great. It does run 1/2 size smaller (for me). I usually wear 8-1/2 but had to take a 9 with Gel FX. I ordered from Zappos.com for $84.

Good luck.

Penny

I just bought a pair of Ryka Gym Trainers and I like them.

Also Ryka is a women run company, make only women shoes, and donates to women's sports. That pretty much sold me right there!

Wow! I guess I let the thread get away from me!

Thanks for all the help and advice. It sounds like I need to get into a store and have a knowledgeable person help me out on what type of foot I have and what will work best. I am also going to check out some of the websites you listed. I really appreciate your support and replying. There is a couple of different sport stores here in Grand Junction so that's where I am headed. I will post with what I come up with. Can't wait to get shoes that don't give me blisters!

Thank you. Heidi:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.