need help

KarenL

Cathlete
Hi Everyone!

About a month ago I injured my knee and have not been able to do any cardio. My doctor says that it is safe to exercise (yoga, weights) but no jumping or step for another month.

My question......is there a weight or yoga dvd that has a cardio effect without the cardio? I hope that makes sense. Before this injury I was having a blast doing Insanity and Cathe's cardio. I just really miss the feeling of getting my heart pumping.

I would appreciate any ideas!

Thank you!

Karen

I'm not sure if you have ever done kettlebells, but that is definitely a weighted exercise that creates a cardio effect too without any jumping.

You could take a look at Kelly coffey-Meyers Boxing DVD, called TLC. This almost entirely upper body punching, but come to think of it, not sure if the movements to twist your body while punching are good for your knee.

I would think the upper body sections of any endurance weight dvd might work too, it may not be all out cardio, but since the exercises move fast, that at least will get you sweating. I believe there is an upper body workout on High reps and STS total body, and likely any other Cathe weight dvd.

Oh one more, but it's also boxing, I just bought michael olajide original Aerobox dvds, it's basically all punching with a very short squat segment at the end of each punching routine. I skip the leg part anyway, something about it I don't like, but the boxing alone, I was sweating heavy and the next day my arms and back FELT it.

Swimming or powerwalking. Either of these will get your whole body working and both are low impact, low stress on the knee.

I powerwalk a lot and it keeps me in the sort of shape that allows me to pump out Imax 2 or a 5 mile run with no rehearsal/training for either.

Try Squeeze type workouts too. Anything that requires concentration, high effort and multiple reps under tension will also have a cardio effect and you will be amazed at how well these workouts keep you in shape until you can run or do step again.

Clare

Hi Karen,

I feel your pain- literally!! I started PT about six months ago for very bad arthritis of my right hip & knee. Like you, I was addicted to Insanity and Cathe's toughest Step workouts. I had to back WAY off and switch to very low impact workouts. I've since become addicted to swimming for both the exercise/cardio benefits & to help my hip rehabilitate. I also do the eliptical (which may not be great for your knee- so check with your doc first). Are you seeing a PT? If not, you might want to seriously look into it.

Mine has changed my life and she gives me tons of modifications for my workouts. I let her watch one of Cathe's DVD's ... Terminator I think since it has some great diversity of Cathe's tougher workouts. I just have to take it easy- not use any risers (that took me about four months before I could do Step at all). And above all listen to your body! You'll be glad you did- TRUST ME!! I kept reinjuring myself due to stubborness and ended up inuring myself pretty badly.

Hang in there!

Pam

ps- the Kettleball idea sounds like fun! Gonna check it out!

Try Power Yoga from Brian Kest. It has three routines of various levels, but it gets your blood going - it's a challenging workout. I wouldn't call it "cardio" however. It also depends on what your knee injury is and whether you can tolerate some of the positions. But you can always make subsitutions for those.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.