Need help with dress for a wedding!

LeanneM

Cathlete
Calling all fashionistas! I need help!:)

One of my work colleagues is having a wedding reception on Sunday, July 6, at 3:30 in the afternoon, and I have no idea what to wear! The reception is going to be at a restaurant with some lovely, covered outdoor patios, so we might be outdoors for part of the afternoon.

I wouldn't mind showing off my arms a bit since I've been working out hard lately, but I can't wear anything that looks too Hoochie Mama ;-) since my entire work department has been invited to the reception.

Any ideas??? Thanks!:)

I am not, in any way a fashonista. I have no eye for style. But I just wanted to say that you'll look great in whatever you decide to wear, Leanne!!!

Leanne, what about a halter dress? I think you would look lovely in that style, and you could accessorize with some bracelets and dangly earrings.

Leanne, I'm with Michele, a halter dress would be really cute and cool, or maybe a sleeveless wrap dress? Have fun and thanks for the giggle on the Hoochie Mama comment. :p

Nance, I LOVE that suit!!

Leanne, scratch my advice. Run out and get a suit like that as quick as you can! It's PERFECT!!

Leanne, oh no, not you too!:p Can you wear sheath dresses? If so, look for one that curves in at the waist...let me see if I can post one. I have a picture in my head, they are usually sleeveless. Love the suit Nancy posted...so elegant!

http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGallery/store/product/MediumLarge/14/_5559814.jpg

OK, maybe not this color, but something simple, sleeveless like this would be perfect, as would a baby doll/halter/modest type top with a pair of wide leg slacks and wedges. Its afternoon right on a Sunday, so it calls for a more casual feel I would assume? Or maybe not?

Ooooh, thanks for the wonderful ideas, ladies!:)

Nancy, where did you find that beautiful suit? It's stunning!

Edited to add: Tneah, I knew you'd find something lovely!;-) That sheath dress is just gorgeous, but I usually can't do high necks like that or I end up looking chubby. :-(

Now if I end up doing a halter dress, what kind of print do you think would be good for a 3:30 Sunday wedding? Since I imagine the reception will run into the evening, I'm not sure if I should go with bright colors or something dark/muted . . . . I'm so bad at dressing for events like this!:)

Bright colors for sure!! Do a fun flowery print on a halter style dress, thats right, you are a busty girl too...sheath dresses require much tailoring on busty types. Never wear dark colors at a wedding like I was going to do!:eek: I read Timm Gunns guide to style, and that is a big ole no-no unless its black tie and evening. Wear some pretty colors for sure.

Thanks, Tneah, sweetie! Well, I'm not as busty as some other ladies I know,;-) but I have a little bit on top so I need a little dip of some sort in the front. I'll look for something fun and flowery! That sounds like a fun idea!:)

Oh, gosh! Those are both so gorgeous! Thanks for posting, Laura and fit44!

Laura, I'm thinking of swinging by a few stores before we meet for lunch on Saturday, so these will give me some great ideas. (Of course, to fit into either of those dresses, I will definitely have to pass on the cheesecake!;-) )

tneah, a high neck like that is a no-no on people like you and me. Maybe Leanne can pull it off though.

Fashionista I am not. But I like the idea of a halter dress. Perhaps in orange. It would be a nice color for an early summer warm day outside wedding. With some gold sandals and jewelry. Perhaps a an off white or even another bright color wrap if it gets chilly. As long as you're not showing thighs/boobs all at the same time, you'll be ok around work people. Only one part gets to be out so you don't look the aforementioned hoochy mama!!

Nan

Sigh, so true Nancy, so true.;) I just love to see the right woman in a Audrey Hepburn type sheath,so I can live vicariously through them!

This is so funny, when I saw that suit you posted I thought to myself, "I wonder if she found that at Barrie Place?":7

BTW, that blue dress especially is fabulous!

>Fashionista I am not. But I like the idea of a halter dress.
> Perhaps in orange. It would be a nice color for an early
>summer warm day outside wedding. With some gold sandals and
>jewelry. Perhaps a an off white or even another bright color
>wrap if it gets chilly. As long as you're not showing
>thighs/boobs all at the same time, you'll be ok around work
>people. Only one part gets to be out so you don't look the
>aforementioned hoochy mama!!
>
>Nan

Thanks, Nan! :) I love the idea of something in orange -- that would be perfect for that time of day. I also really like your idea of "one part being out"! I'd never thought of that before!;-)

Thanks for all your help, everyone! I'm hoping to go shopping tomorrow, so I'll let you know if I find anything!:) Wish me luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.