Need help from the educated crowd!!!

mimi003

I have been doing Cathe's workouts for about 4 months now after doing the FIRM for over a year. Here is my problem and I do not know how to fix it or what I am doing wrong. I posted a question to Cathe back in December about being a taller person with long arms and trying to get definition in my arms. She said for me to work my arms hard every other day and go light on the cardio. That is what I have done and I have had amazing results getting definition in my arms! Hooray!!! Now my problem! I have always had more of an hour glass figure. I did have a tendency for my weight to accumalate around my waist, but usaually gained weight all over. Now I am at goal weight, 137 at 5'7" and wear a size 4/6. My entire body is firm and looks great except for my upper abs. My lower abs used to be my problem. I had the pouch below the waist line if you know what I mean. The lower abs have gone down tremendously and I am very happy with them, but it seems they have moved up to my upper abs. My waist is getting bigger and thicker!!!!! If I buy pants or skirts that fit at the natural waist line I have to go a size larger to be comfortable, but if I get them that sit below the waist they fit great. My diet is about 80-90% clean and I have not changed my diet at all in this time. I have not gained weight, but I am getting larger in the upper ab and waist region. Can we say spare tire????? What am I doing wrong or what can I do to get rid of this??? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Oh, I also forgot to mention that this all seemed to happen after I started using the Hardcore Core Max. Could I be doing to much oblique work?????? I used to have a waist, but now I am about the same from my waist to my hips!
Thanks
Kathy
Kathy

OK I'll take a stab at this.

First, have you actually measured your waist? Like, before & after measurements? Because it sounds like it might just appear larger to you since your belly has shrunk.

Bear in mind your abs are really two muscles running from chest to hip. There is no such thing as "upper" and "lower" abs. While I might concede that certain exercises may focus on upper or lower, whatever you're doing will work the entire ab muscle.

With that said, yes, oblique work with weight can make your waist bigger. I have the same problem--I have a really small butt & a large waist, so I have trouble finding clothes that fit too. Oftentimes I go one size up & get the hips altered. It's a total PIA! So I do go very light & easy on the oblique work.

Also, your weight & size sound fine, so I think you should stop worrying about that! :)

Thanks for the reply Maximus. You were one the ones that I hoped would respond! To answer your question, no I have not measured. I really looked slimmer since my the lower part of my stomach is smaller. The reason I really noticed it is that I got out my pants and shorts from last summer and tried them on and they were all to snug in the waist, but huge in the hips and thighs. They all fit well last year. I am not concerned about my weight, I am where I want to be, but this waist thing has thrown me for a loop. I do alot of oblique work in Cathe's Core Max. I really think that may be what is doing it, but I would rather be thick in the waist than have the pouch below the waist!
Thanks for you input. Anyone else like to share their opinion, I would really love to hear it.
Thanks
Kathy

Yup, agreeing with Maximus. I also have a large waist. I have cut out a lot of the oblique exercises. I will usually just do one oblique exercise per ab workout, and forget the rest. I have to admit that I don't know for sure that this will be effective, but it just seems to make sense, and the last thing I need is a bigger waistline. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.