Need Direction

Billsma

Hi Cathe or anyone who can help me out.

I will be 49 in March. For the past year I have done very little exercise due to a medical problem. Because of this, I have lost a lot of muscle....but I do gain muscle easily. For 2015, I have a goal to concentrate more on heavier strength training. I am also in need of losing 50 lbs. I try to avoid high impact, and any complex choreography. I have just about all of Cathe's dvds, Kelly Coffey Meyer's dvds, and numerous others. Cathe and Kelly are hands down my two favorite instructors!

Is there a rotation, or can someone help me devise a long term rotation that includes all of Cathe's strength workouts? I know I will need to mix things up, but I would love to hit the lower body 2x a week.

I'm planning to log all my food intake into mfp, and eat clean.

As mentioned up thread, I do have every single one of Cathe's strength dvds, and cardio, though I am fussy with cardio.

Thx for any help!

I don't have a rotation in mind but just some tips. I returned to exercise after about a 3 year hiatus because of back surgery and complications. I found one of the most important things was strengthening the core. I always knew this was important, but didn't understand fully until I lost my core from not working out. It affects EVERYTHING. Also stretching. I started doing low impact stuff on my stationary bike and elliptical. I did weight workouts with very light or even no weight to start and gradually increased what I was lifting. I would do things like squats and lunges with no weights and even use a balancing bar for lunges ( just a broom handle). Don't get frustrated. It takes time to rebuild. But you will be surprised what you can do as time goes by. I wish you the best!!

There is an official beginner rotation if you want to take a look under that section? You can substitute any cardio you like if that helps. When I first started out I focused more on total body and circuits myself as it was "more bang your buck" so to speak and at the time I could only workout maybe 3-4 times/ week.
Good luck and stay positive - it takes a few weeks to get into a routine so try not to get frustrated,
Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I'm looking for a strength rotation long term. I've been working out since I was 15, but had a bad year. I'll figure this out on my own. :)

[QUOTE="Billsma, post: 2273673, member: 121903"
I will be 49 in March. For the past year I have done very little exercise due to a medical problem. Because of this, I have lost a lot of muscle....but I do gain muscle easily. For 2015, I have a goal to concentrate more on heavier strength training. I am also in need of losing 50 lbs. I try to avoid high impact, and any complex choreography. I have just about all of Cathe's dvds, Kelly Coffey Meyer's dvds, and numerous others. Cathe and Kelly are hands down my two favorite instructors!

Is there a rotation, or can someone help me devise a long term rotation that includes all of Cathe's strength workouts? I know I will need to mix things up, but I would love to hit the lower body 2x a week

Thx for any help![/QUOTE]

Hi,

Here are my suggestions:

• Considering you can gain muscle quickly, a total body weight program should help for a 6 months kick off.
  • Please do not focus on the scale...Approach the weight loss aiming for an improvement of body composition rather than a fast
decrease in the number shown by the scale. while we are discussing number shown on the scale, let's bare in mind that a pound of muscle = a pound of fat. muscles takes less volume/is dense compared fat. To have an idea 1kg gold takes less space/volume than 1kg of feathers!
  • Choose your cardio smartly. Hiit is the way to go. Long steady cardio still need to be done. Once per week is enough.
Why, because excessive long steady increases cortisol and cause catabolism. You could loose muscles you currently have.
http://cathe.com/science-behind-hiit-training-effective
http://cathe.com/resistance-training-vs-aerobic-exercise-belly-fat-effective
  • Last but not least, any cathe rotation aiming to loose fat and/or gain strength purpose is fat would help!
check out the rotation index as from 2010.
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/index-of-cathe-rotations-june-10-cathenation-links.280676/
All the best,

Last edited:
There is an STS/LIS rotation you may want to look at. I'm thinking it may have been a Jan 2012 rotation. I think LIS offers great low impact options and I saw great results from doing it. I'm in week 3 of the RWH/XTRAIN rotation, but there is also a RWH/LIS rotation - it's next on my to do list!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.