Need diet advice for long call shifts

sleepingmom

Cathlete
Dear All,

My work requires me to take 17 hour and 24 hour call shifts at the hospital. I usually am pretty faithful to my eating plan at home and during my regular 12-14 hour days at work, but during the overnight/ weekend call shifts when I am literally working 17-24 hours straight, my eating plan falls apart. Even though I bring enough food for the shift, I end up eating other trash that is around (usually chocolate, anything sweet). I think I feel a bit sorry for myself when doing these shifts, and I get sluggish, and the sugar helps perk me up. Has anyone else had this challenge, and how did you overcome it? Any advice as to how to make the call shifts more manageable for me would be very much appreciated.

Are you up and around for the duration of your call shift or can you sleep at all? If possible I would try to maintain regular eating habits, but when you need a little something to get you through how about some kind of protein and carb combination like peanut butter or cheese with fruit, or something along those lines? You can also snack on a healthy, whole grain cereal with skim milk or yogurt.

I'm a nurse and when I worked 11 - 7 shift in a busy hospital I took a thermos of flavored coffee. If I had it to do again , I guess I would take green tea instead.

Good luck. It's really tough, I know;)

Michele

Dear Michele,

Thanks so much for your advice. I usually try to grab some supine time by 3am or so. I work in a trauma hospital, so all h____ can break lose at any time. At least when that happens, I cannot eat!

I think I will try bringing more protein and good carb snacks. I usually bring meals and not many snack options. So, maybe having a few good snacks will keep me away from the donuts/ twinkies etc.

BTW: I love your pictures.

All the best,

I'm with you - I work tough hours, too. I have to remind myself to prepare - like, it's easier to just grab something from the diner, (in lieu of grocery shopping and preparing even more), but truthfully, you're saving $money$ to take the time to shop and prepare for yourself. Make sure you're taking tasty (healthy) snacks/meals so you're not tempted all the time.

So, moral of the story: Remember you're worth the time to take care of YOU.

*I also find that after work, I need some TLC at home -- good music, candles, stretching...again, don't hesitate to make it a habit to treat yourself well. (that's what I'm working on...you teach what you need to learn, right!)

Hi SMOM,

I think it's important to plan healthy snacks and I believe it will make a difference in your energy level as well. Good luck with it and I hope you'll give us an update to let us know how it's going!

Thank you for the compliment, too:)

Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.