Need advice on workout

littlechrissy

I am in need of advice from Cathe and all you experienced exercisers. I am not happy with the progress I am making, so I need some objective eyes to see what I am missing. First, some background: 5'6 1/2", 119 lbs, small boned, don't build muscle easily. I overtrained for many years (mostly cardio) and about 2 months ago took a week off and then started back with more moderate intensity cardio (4" step or low impact) and a greater emphasis on weights. I have the MIS, CTX, and PS tapes as well as several of the cardio tapes (many of which are to intense for me). I will usually do the MIS 3 times a week + 3 cardio days OR the CTX series OR cardio + the PS series once a week.

Thanks to Cathe's tapes I have much more definition in my arms, but I am still not seeing the more total body muscular definition that I am looking for. So, I see several potential areas I may need to address. Please let me know what you think.

1. Increase the number of days I lift weights.
2. Increase the weight I am lifting (I have tried this, but too much weight increases my heart rate to much and then I am gasping for air and are exhaused the rest of the day.)
3. Eat more protein
4. Eat more calories (I don't have a large appetite, so I could possibly not be eating enough to support muscle growth??)

I would appreciate any suggestions that you have. Thanks so much for your time!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-02 AT 12:34PM (Est)[/font][p]Hm. I'm not Cathe, and there are many more experienced people here than me, but I'm no slouch either ;), and I recognise your problem because I have trouble building muscle, too (although I am not small boned). Numbers 3 and 4, to me, stick out. I always need to keep on myself- making sure my calories and protein are enough to support all of the Cathe workouts I'm doing as well as building muscle! It's tricky, I know :). You're doing 3 weight days a week. That's enough IMHO. Any more and you might encounter 'the law of diminishing returns'. But...how about mixing up your workouts a little, like do MIS once, CTX upper once, LL and a circuit workout (i.e. Circuit Max) within a week? Maybe this will help with muscle confusion, which might be part of your problem.
Hope this helps somewhat.
:)
Kathy

Only one suggestion from me:
Increase the number of years you work with weights. Guaranteed to work.:7

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-02 AT 02:48PM (Est)[/font][p]I have no educated advice to offer but I can empathise. I'm pretty small and find it hard to build muscle. If I work out too much or lift too heavy, I just burn out or lose weight in all the wrong places. I am also prone to undereating and I think that contributes to my problems of fatigue. One thing that I have learnt is that my body sprouts more muscle when I give it rest. So even though I will sometimes work body parts 2 times a week (and sometimes even 3), I also regularly resort to a gentler rotation where I work a body part just once a week with weights. I normally use PS or S&H for this and go as heavy as I can. This is the only method that has given me some bulk so far. I also find that I generally feel great (more energy and stamina) while following these rotations. Less is definitely more for me. I also follow this approach as it balances out my eating habits - I don't burn off far more than I am taking in. I like to push my body but I like to do it gently. As far as protein goes, I think you will need a little extra if you are trying to promote muscle growth but I think I read that you do need to eat enough total calories so that the extra protein is spared for muscle building. I find that as long as I eat well, it doesn't really take all that much protein to build muscle. Just a serving of it at every meal works for me. Good luck and I am sure you will get some great advice for the wonderful people on this board.

I would say up your calories, up your protein and lift heavty. I am not really sure about what you mean exactly when you say your heart rate gets high and you are exhausted. Unless you have some kind of medical problem, I am assuming you experience the same effects as the rest of us after lifting heavy. I too am tired, and I too find my HR creeping up as my wt increases. Expose your body to this poundage more often and maybe you would not have such uncomfortable side effects, or they would be less noticeable to you.

To give us an idea, before I preach to you about heavy weights :), can you tell us what poundages you are using now. You may be lifting way too light.....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.