necessities for half marathon training?

hey again,

i thought i'd ask this question too since i got so much help with my last one.

for a half marathon, to really train properly, what do i need to have?

i assume a good new pair of shoes for my foot/gait type (i overpronate)

do i need a heart rate monitor?

should i buy one of those water belt things? how important is that?

is there anything else anyone who runs a lot would recommend?

also, who does walking breaks? i have read a lot about them on a couple of the websites that were recommended in the last thread. i never heard of that before. does it really work?

thanks in advance,
angie

Hi again!

For my long runs I take a water bottle although I have a 10 mile out and back that runs past the pier where there is a water fountain. I stop on my way out and again on my way back and that seems to be enough for me. If there's nothing like that along the way then I definately take a water bottle belt. I like diluted gatorade in mine.

Although I very rarely use it when I'm running 10 miles or less, I take an energy gel just in case.

Of course you're right on about the shoes. I actually wear a size bigger in running shoes than normal shoes. I found out I needed this by losing a toenail when training for a marathon.

For me socks are also a VERY important factor. I think I have sensitive feet as they blister easily unless I wear a certain kind of sock. I like Feetures medium weight.

I have Jeff Galloway's book Marathon! You Can Do It where he lays out a run/walk training plan. I've been told that people have improved their marathon times using it. I've not tried it but it is an excellent book.

Hope this helps.

Elaine

running 3K and walking 1 minute helped me a lot when I came back from being injured (three times). And I actually once ran a 12K faster with walkbreaks then without ;-)
Dutchie

you ran faster WITH walk breaks? wow, that's interesting but i guess if i think about it, it really does make sense. you give your muscles a break and then return to running more efficiently and maybe at a quicker pace. thanks for the info.

ange

You really need to have the desire to run the marathon, anything else is extra if you ask me.

A good stability shoe is what you need for running if you overpronate- ask for motion control. You can go to roadrunnersports.com and try their "shoe dog" for recommendations. Go to a real shoe store, late in the day when your feet are swollen, and try some on. Any time I ordern shoes online I regret it.

If your shoes are too small, your toenails will hit the top/end of the shoe with each step and that causes blood blisters beneath the nails and that's black toenails. Ick.

You probably don't need a heart rate monitor, unless you're interested. I like the time function on mine, it's a low-end Polar.

HYDRATION is what's important. Very important. I don't run without a bottle in my hand. I always used just water, then one day tried a half Gatorade half water. WOW. I ran 8 miles and felt like I could run 8 more! Anything more than about 5 miles I'd always mix in Gatorade. (Gatorade also has sodium in it which helps prevent hyponatremia or whatever it's called that is too little sodium in your body- that's a killer.)

Walking breaks are a great idea, but I couldn't ever get myself to do them. I see how they work, I just couldn't deal with walking some of the runs.

Okay, for my last advice in the longest-ever post, and it's a doozy: ice baths. My husband's favorite part of the training because he could sit on the toilet and laugh as I sat in a bathtub half full of cold water and ice after my long runs. It's one of the hardest things I ever did, BUT definitely the most useful. As soon as possible after your long runs, hop into the tub and toss in a tray or two of ice. (You'll need to remind yourself to breathe, like lamaze I guess.) Stay in for at least 10 minutes. Yes, ten. The cooold water stops the inflammation your muscles and joints are enduring, which means you really don't get sore. I started doing them after 10 milers. I did them each long run, not thinking the bath did anything, but then I skipped it once and felt like I couldn't walk for 3 days.

Sorry again for the longest post ever!!!

Great thread! I have never been a runner, hate it in fact, but lately I have been thinking of trying to run at least a few miles. I would love to be able to at least do that. I figure if I can get up to 3-5 miles a few times a week that would round me out a bit.

I guess I will do a thread search on beginner running:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.