Nancy C. here us your recipe for my fabulous cookies...

H

honeybunch

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-00 AT 08:12PM (EST)</font></center>

Chocolate Cookies

1-1/4 C. Soft margarine
2 C. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
Chopped nuts and chocolate chips (your choice as to how much)

Cream margarine & sugar. Add eggs & vanilla. Blend well. Combine flour, cocoa, soda & salt...blend into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes. Leave on cookie sheet at least one minute before removing. Makes about 4 dozen.

Note: I used a LOT of nuts and chocolate chips. I thought about using milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet, but I'll try that next time.

Hope you don't mind

but I copied your reciepe. I couldn't help myself!! They sound sooo good!! MY husband asked if these were "good for you" cookies. Once he found out it was a "regular" reciepe, he handed me a pen and paper and told me to write it down. See what I put up with? LOL!!!

You best plan...

...to give some to friends and neighbors because if there is 4 dozen of those cookies sitting in your house, TRUST ME, they won't be around LONG! Either that or do~BodyMax, Imax, Mis, MegaStepBlast and about 10 other Cathe's this week! The cookies will be worth all the PAIN!! Just kidding Cathe!
wink.gif

DebbieH

And I made a double batch....

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-00 AT 04:38AM (EST)</font></center>

...so I had eight dozen laying around. I have a BIG freezer, so I stash them away. Out of sight, out of mind, until next Saturday!! This week I'm making an Apple Cobbler Cake, a Bakeoff winner from 1998. I do a lot of recipe surfing.
happy.gif
happy.gif

? For Honeybunch

Hi,

Since you like to cook and check out new recipes, I was wondering if you could help me? I absolutely adore Russian Teacakes, the kind Arabica and Hungarian bakeries sell: a rolled scone type batter, chock full of walnuts, golden raisins, and raspberry jam. I've tried to do searches on recipe data bases and always come up with those white, ball shaped cookies that are also known as Mexican Wedding cakes. I wanted to find a recipe and try to make it lowfat. Any suggestions?

Helen Z

Did you say Apple Cobbler Cake?

Honeybunch, you are killing me!! I've never had or heard of Apple Cobbler Cake, but just the name sounds delicious!! I have a vision in my head of enjoying it on an autumn Sunday afternoon while curled up with a good book or an old movie. OH my mouth is starting to water!!

Russian Tea Cakes

6 oz (1-1/2 c.) peacans, toasted
6 tble. granulated sugar
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 min. or until lightly brown and you can smell the nuts. Cool.

Reduce temp of oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with a non-stick vegetable spray.

Put the cooled pecans and 2 tble. sugar into a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Finely grind the pecans and set them aside.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream the butter and remaning 4 tble sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. Combine the flour and salt and stir into the butter mixture. Add the nuts.

From the dough into 3/4 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes, or until light brown in color. Cool cookies on baking sheet for a few minutes and while cookies are still warm, sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

Store in an airtight container. Makes 3 dozen.

Is this what you meant??????
wink.gif

Apple Cobbler Cake, YUM!!!!

Since you are sharing recipes would you also share the one for Apple Cobbler Cake?

Thanks,
SusanR

Darn Again!

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe, but thats all I seem to get when I mention Russian Teacakes. No, I mean the kind Arabica sells: a rolled scone type batter with golden raisins, walnuts, and raspberry jam. How can a recipe be so elusive? Are they called anything else?

Helen Z

Helen, have you tried...

searching recipe sites by ingredient rather than title? It would take longer to wade through the results, I'm sure -- but if you searched by "raspberry jam," for example, shouldn't your cookie turn up?

THANK YOU!!!

Oh Honeybunch...what a treat! This was my first post to stumble on today and I have been sidelined with VF and "life" and have missed this site the last day or two!

It looks wonderful and I usually add LOTS of nuts to my cookies
happy.gif
...oh and chips too LOL

nancy:O)

My new cookbook is $19.95 & S/H...

...Make checks payable to HB Enterprises. I WISH!!!
wink.gif

Apple Cobbler Cake

2- 21 oz cans apple pie filling
1 pkg. Butter recipe or Yellow Cake Mix
3/4 c. margarine, softened
2/3 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. milk
Heat oven to 375 degree. In large saucepan, heat pie filling over medium heat until very hot, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine cake mix and margarine; blend at low speed for 35 to 60 seconds or until crumbly. Place 1-1/2 c. cake mixture in medium bowl; stir in walnuts and cinnamon until well mixed. Add milk to cake mixture in large bowl; stir until dry particles are moistened.

Spoon hot pie filling into ungreased 13X9-inch pan. Top with heaping spoonfuls of cake batter. Sprinkle with walnut mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and cracks appear dry. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm with ICE CREAM!!!!!

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I even just tried...

... looking in a Russian cookbook for you. No luck. But once I'm done working out, I will glance through a few more books and see if I can find anything close. Or at least another name to try searching under. They sound really good.

Karen, who has even more cookbooks than she has videos, which is saying a LOT

This will be heaven!!

I just copied your apple cobbler cake down and now my husband wants me to make both this weekend! They both sound so delicious that I agreed to it. How can I resist? Oh Honeybunch, I am going to be a baking fool this weekend. I know it will all be worth it when I bite into those cokies and that warm cake with ice cream!! If you have any other reciepes you want to share let us know!!

Russian Teacake Conspiracy?

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-00 AT 05:37AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi,

I think that they are so yummmy (yes, they deserve 3 m's)that a counter intelligence conspiracy has developed to cloak the recipe from discovery. How come they are called Russian Teacakes, but I see them all the time in Hungarian bakeries? How come the name Russian Teacake always brings up a totally different cookie--yet Everyone calls them Russian Teacakes! Yeah, its a good idea to try the ingredient route, but I wonder if "they" have thrown misdirection procedures under the ingredients as well! Who would have thought that Arabica had such an insidious assignment?

Helen Z

rugalah?

I can't picture the cookie from your description. The jam & nuts sounds like rugalah, but they're made with a rich cookie dough which I wouldn't describe as scone like. But the Hungarian connection makes it a possibility.

Does your paper's food section have a "ask the chef" service. Sort of like Bon Appetit & Gourmet, you ask them to obtain a favorite recipe. Often restaurants/bakeries/etc will share the recipe with the newspaper even if they wouldn't share it with a customer.

This is now a full scale treasure hunt!
Debra

Helen, I think I know what you want....

......and that is a recipe for "KIFLI!!!!!" If that sounds like what you're after I can get the recipe. My grandmother used to make them, so I think we're on the same page finally.

Let me know!!!
happy.gif

kifli

Hmm. Does this stuff vary by name alot? I just did a search for kifli (yes, I am obsessed with finding Helen the answer to this) and kept getting some cream cheese and nut kind of thing either with or without chocolate chips. No raspberry jam, no raisins.

I had hopes when in my Russian TimeLife cookbook (mostly a "history of food" book) they vaguely described something as being a jam, fruit and nut filled confection, but I couldn't find any recipes on a search and now I can't remember the name. It was something like rohalsky, I think, but it was late and I'm now suffering a severe headache, so I could be way off. Anyway, it was a Ukrainian something or other.

Your cookies?

Hi Helen
I am most definitely not an expert, but I was intrigued by this search and others' quests to help you find your recipie. I think whomever suggested "rugalah" may well be right. Check out: http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/baked-goods/desserts/cookies/index68.html and click on the many (some are spelled slightly different) recipies for rugalah. It looks as if it can be made several different ways, so maybe just take any recipie that is somewhat similar and then add in your own specific ingredients. Good luck!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.