Mystery pain--what is it?

H

Hazel

OK, this is a bit embarassing, but I'm hoping someone out there can identify this strange pain I've had over the past couple of days (I cannot get through to my OB's office, and don't have an appointment until next week).

For the last couple of days, I have had this achy pain in my, uh, labia (blushing, coughing). Not to put to fine a point on it, but it reminds me of how I felt when I fell straddling the monkey bars in the second grade. It does not bother me when I'm sitting or lying down, only when I'm moving around.

Is this just my pelvis starting to widen (I'm almost 32 weeks)? Something else, perhaps more serious? Is it safe to continue working out (I have been, and it doesn't seem to make the pain any worse, although it doesn't ease it either)? It doesn't seem like anything in particular brought it on, at least that I can recall.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with something like this, or any inkling of what it might be or anything I could do to help it feel better (I don't think Ben Gay is a workable solution for this one, ladies!), please let me know.

Many thanks,

Hazel

Pain in the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!

Hi Hazel,

Sorry you are having this pain now. I definitely think that you should talk to your doctor about it. I am not a doctor, but I will tell you what I think it might be based on your description--- round ligament pain or pubic symphysis pain.

There are three sets of ligaments that support the uterus in the pelvic cavity. They are the round ligaments, the broad ligaments and the uterosacral ligaments.

The two round ligaments (also referred to as “long ligaments”) attach from the wall of the uterus to the labia. During pregnancy, these ligaments stretch from approximately two to twelve inches at full term to support the uterus. Prior to pregnancy the round ligaments are less than ¼ inch thick. By the end of pregnancy these structures are thicker and much more taut. Sometimes these ligaments can spasm and cause pain that goes down into the labia. This may be what is causing your problem.

You could also be experiencing pubic symphysis pain. Your two pubic bones are joined by a band of cartilaginous tissue. The area where the two bones join is known as the pubic symphysis. During pregnancy, this connective tissue is affected by relaxin, the hormone responsible for "loosening" connective tissue. You could have some "play" in between your pubic bones which could account for your symptoms as well.

Let me know what your doc says. Remember, the advice you get on our forum is to no way take the place of your caregiver's.

Good luck. Let us hear from you.

Sheila

Got an answer from the doc--what to do now?

Thanks for the quick response, Sheila. What I was concerned about was the pubic symphis (sp?), although I didn't remember the name of it--I've read about female runners sometimes permanently injuring themselves in this area, and was concerned about that.

However, the truth is actually both better and worse. I finally got through to my doctor's office, and they think its varicose veins (sorry--I know that's kind of gross!). I had never heard you could get them there! They told me to wear my maternity support belt (thank goodness I already own one), and I guess we'll discuss it more at my appointment next week.

In the meantime, if anybody has had to deal with this, please let me know if anything else worked for you (feel free to e-mail me privately if you'd rather). The support belt does seem to relieve about 75-80% of the discomfort, allowing me to at least walk like a normal person instead of an ol' cowpoke, but I'm still aware of a bruised feeling that's pretty annoying. Am I stuck with these things until after delivery--or worse, forever? Does this make it more likely I will get varicose veins in my legs later in the pregnancy, or perhaps in a subsequent pregnancy? Will pushing the baby out make them worse? Can they rupture (eek!)?

Thanks for any further help or advice you all can give me. (My mantra now is . . . 8 more weeks, only 8 more weeks . . .) :)

Hi Hazel!

I don't have any advise for you but just wanted to wish you well. I hope all the precautions you take help you out SOON. Keep us posted!
happy.gif

OOOOH-

I was going to mention this- I had a friend who had this also, but actually thought Sheila's answer sounded more likely. Plus, I didn't want to add yet another thing to worry about.
Anyway, from what she said, they do go away between pregnancies, but come back the next time. She said it took a while for them to go away, and I guess that they never completely leave, since they come back the next time. I think also, that when all the extra maternal blood leaves, and you have 10 less pounds pushing down on the general area, you will feel better.
Sorry I don't have any day to day advice, she didn't mention that.

varicose veins

This is not really a pleasant thing, but it happens with all the fluid and pressure. With my first baby, I had a ruptured blood vessel in my-uh labia- which caused sporadic spottiing and panic till I found out what it was. This was at about 7 mo. It went away-stay off your feet when you feel the pain intensify. With second baby, I had the most painful experience of my life. Childbirth was nothing compared to it. I had thrombosed hemmorhoids- a blood clot had formed. Ordinarily, this would be surgically excised or lanced (YEEEOW) but since I was 8-9 mo pregnant, the bleeding might cause a hemmoraging (sp?) due to the pressure. I sat in hot water a whole lot but it was awful. Plus you suffer in silence because its EMBARRASSING!I was so relieved to go into labor I pushed baby out in 10 miinutes!!!No, I have not had a tendency to get varicose veins at all. I'm 44 now, and have a couple of veins you can sort of see, but no spider veins or big bulgy varicose ones. My mom really had vein problems, and I put my lack of varicose veins to exercise. The "roids" went away too, but you can bet I am a good girl and eat a Metamucil wafer every day for the rest of my life!;-}

I have heard of this, Hazel

It sounds like labial varices (varicose veins) to me. Actually, I've heard of this -- of course, I'm no expert on OB matters other than I've been pregnant.

Glad you got a diagnosis...

Well, after posting the answer and not reading the other replies, I realized that you already have a diagnosis. Best of luck, Hazel -- soon it will all be over for you. BTW, are you the Hazel Porter? I think I met you on a roadtrip.

Amy

You got me good on that one Hazel!

Hi Hazel,

I am so glad that you got an answer from your doctor. This is a prime example of why our answers on this forum cannot take the place of pure old-fashioned medical advice.

Keep us posted. Only ~7 more weeks to go for you. Hang in there Hazel. You've done so well...

Sheila

I have them too Hazel!

Hazel,

What a timely post!!! This past 2 weeks have been soooo sore in the groin and I was worried too because I never had this pain in the groin with my other pregnancies. I thought it was from doing plie squats or front lunges. I was scared. Even getting down on the ground for my beloved stretches hurt! Then I asked my doctor and she said it was varicose veins in the pubic area. She said she could see them. It hurts to sit or move sideways. I'm 32 weeks and can't imagine having to go through this for many more weeks. She gave me a number to call to get a support panty thing so I might do that. Either way, I have to suffer with it. It's hard to do inner and outer thigh work on the floor. I was using a 15lb body bar like Cathe uses in the PS floor tape and thought that I might have pulled something but that wasn't the case. I think I will just either use no weights or a light ankle weight. I also have developed a small varicose vein in my leg too. Ugh! The sacrifice! The sacrifice! Take care and know that you aren't the only one groaning as you sit and stand:)

Amy

THE Hazel Porter? :) I guess I am! (Have I acquired some sort of reputation I should know about--or maybe not! :)

I went and looked at my T-shirt from the second Cathe roadtrip in October 1998 and didn't see your name and picture there, so we must have met at the FIRM trip in April 1998, because I'm sure I remember you (was it you that helped me by contacting friends in Columbia to ask about good restaurants? I was the one who brought my husband and needed a romantic restaurant because we were celebrating an anniversary (our first date--not the big anniversary!)--and missed the big video viewing party). Those are the only two trips I've been able to make (so far!).

Anyway, I can't imagine there are more than five or six Hazel Porters in the entire world, so it's probably me. Thanks for remembering me (unless there's something about that reputation thing, in which case, I'm sure it was some OTHER Hazel Porter!).

I'm so sorry, Mandy!

I definitely feel your pain! We are due just about the same time, I think (I'm also 32 weeks).

Please try a support belt--it has helped reduce my pain a lot, although it hasn't disappeared completely. I got a product called the maternity support belt from www.fitmaternity.com (hope it's OK to publish other websites here--I don't work for this company or anything, I just am a very satisfied customer!). It was only $22 (plus shipping, which they will deduct for repeat customers), which was a much less costly alternative than some of the other belly support systems I'd found (some were nearly $100!) and it's much less awkward than many others too (it's just a belt--many are either a panty--which I guess you'd have to wash out every night if you wanted to wear it every day--or a panty plus some suspender-like things that look like a real pain to mess with, especially for someone who has to use the restroom every half hour!)

I go back to my doctor on Tuesday, so if she gives me any other ideas of things that might help this pain, I'll post them! Otherwise, feel free to use my mantra (see above . . . 8 more weeks, only 8 more weeks . . .). :)

I wish...

my mantra was the same as yours. I have to say only 11 weeks to go! I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties. Can't help to think of ALL the body changes and things we take on/give up to be a part of the miracle of life. I have vericose veins on my legs from having jobs that kept me on my feet through all of my preg. Support hose did not help me and were incredibly hot. I have heard those belts work wonders. Especially for women who have had several preg and your belly tends to be lower. I have found myself extremely lacking in energy and having a hard time finding the motivation to work out.I can barely make myself teach my one class a week and exercise 2 or 3 more times. Any one else having this prob as they near the home stretch. Normally I am so pumped at this point I actually have to carefully monitor myself so I don't overdo! Oh well, only 11 more weeks, 11 more weeks, 11 more weeks!!!!

THE Hazel Porter

Oh Lord, I didn't mean you had some type of notorious reputation
happy.gif
Aren't you an attorney? I just recall your name because I love the name Hazel -- it's so sophisticated.

I went on Spring 1999 Cathe roadtrip, so it must have been at the Columbia Firm trip. I've been on a lot of Firm trips, but unfortunately only one Cathe trip --- can you tell I want to go back to Cathe's?

Hang in there!

Hello there,

I'm not in the homestretch of pregnancy but I just wanted to send you a message to "hang in there." You are an inspiration to us all. I do remember with my last pregnancy having to drag myself to teach my classes around 30-32 weeks. Then for some reason, my energy came back and I was fine up until the day I delivered. Hopefully this will happen for you too.

Keep us posted.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.