My steel cut oats exploded!

mrsmel

Cathlete
So, I've been wanting to try steel cut oatmeal, but do not have the time/patience/inclination to make them myself, even in the crock pot. I found the frozen ones at Trader Joe's this weekend and decided to try them that way.

I brought a serving to work this morning and put in the micro for 2 minutes. Took it out, stirred it, put it back in for another 1 1/2 minutes. Opened the door and there they were....all over the side of the bowl and the bottom of the microwave. :eek:

Do I just need a bigger bowl? It doesn't seem like covering them will help. Has anybody else had this happen? Thanks!

anne

OATMEAL

I HEARD ABOUT THE KIND OF OATMEAL THAT YOU ARE TRYING AND I WAS GOING TO TRY IT MYSELF. NOW I'M NOT SO SURE. NOW I EAT INSTANT OATMEAL. MAYBE I'LL TRY THE STEEL AND I LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT. IN MAKING IT I MEAN. GOOD LUCK. TTFN

I use Trader Joe's frozen oats. I microwave 2 minutes, stir and it's ready to eat. I use a small bowl and it never overflows.
Maybe reduce the cook time to 2.5 minutes?

I found these steel cut oats (refridgerated) in Target over the weekend. They are called Kozy Shack. They come 2 in a pack and they are great. I think it was like $2.79. I likedthem so much I went back the next day and bought 4 more. They come in 3 flavors maple syrup, apple cinnonmon and original. There are yummy especially the maple syrup. You put them in the microwave for 30 sec the stir then 30 sec again.

Anne, maybe try a lower power setting if you can. I know my nukes at work are ridiculously over powered so I babysit my food and do it in short time segments with lots of checking and stirring.

Sorry for your lost breakfast!

TJ's steel cut frozen oats are pricey, but I buy it for days I forget to set up my slow cooker.
I can't get steel cut oats to cook right unless it's done slowly. So the TJ's are great in a pinch;)

Like Cynthia and Suzanne said, try a lower power setting and less cooking time.

If you want some fast and easy steel cut oats, the Coach's Oats brand is really good -- and cooks on the stove top in just five minutes. (You can also microwave them, but they're much better cooked on the stove.) Here's the link for their website:

http://www.coachsoats.com/

I've been buying them at Costco . . . and I load up on them when I'm there since they're so tasty! :)

I found these steel cut oats (refridgerated) in Target over the weekend. They are called Kozy Shack. They come 2 in a pack and they are great. I think it was like $2.79. I likedthem so much I went back the next day and bought 4 more. They come in 3 flavors maple syrup, apple cinnonmon and original. There are yummy especially the maple syrup. You put them in the microwave for 30 sec the stir then 30 sec again.

Can you share what are the nutritional stats?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.