My son was lost in the wilderness (but he's okay)

Kathy, I am so glad everything is OK. I know the feeling of thinking something terrible happened to your child because they're missing. I truly empathize with you. It'll take another day or two to feel somewhat normal. Isn't it weird how you feel like you're dying one minute and then incredibly proud of his resourcefulness the next? Take it easy my friend. Big hugs - Alexis

Oh, Kathy, what an experience! I can't imagine what that was like for you, but I'm so thankful that Alex is safe and that you're safely home again. My little guys are 5 and 10, and I was scared to death when my youngest got ahead of me Sunday evening on the boardwalk at Ocean City, MD, and I couldn't see him for all of about 30-45 seconds! I can't imagine how I'd feel to KNOW that my son was lost and not be able to help. Anyway, thank God it turned out the way it did.

Kathy - what a terrifying story. I am so glad that he is safe. You have raised quite an amazing and strong young man!

Liz

Hi Kathy! I just saw your note now & there are no words except my heartfelt relief that everything worked out! Your son is truly an amazing young man! God answered both you & your husband's prayers. Hugs & Kisses, Kathy:*

What a happy ending! What an amazing boy! I was in tears reading this. I was offline yesterday, so this is the first chance I've had to read this. I hope you enjoyed your workout yesterday and I hope Alex enjoys the rest of his adventure.

Thanks so much, everyone!

I'm back on this *&!%# dial-up connection for the first time since posting about our ordeal, and I am just blown away by your responses, everyone! One of my first impulses upon getting home was to tell all of you and Cathe what had happened -- it's not entirely rational since I've never "met" any of you, but this community has seen so many of us through so many things that it feels like the best kind of support group and I knew you'd all understand the "low lows" and "high highs" we've just been through. Old friends and new friends here, Kenny and I thank you all for your warmth and support and the lovely things you've said about our intrepid Alex and about us as parents. I think I can objectively say that you are right that he's proven himself to be an uncommon young man, and we're immensely proud of him.

So we're feeling, gradually, more recovered (you are so right about the time it takes, Lexy my pal). My sense of humor is returning and I'm ordering my son some dog tags that say "Hi, my name is Alex. If I'm lost, please return me to the Eagle's Nest Foundation Hante School." And when I pick him up at the airport next week I'm carrying a huge sign that says "Are you Alex??" :) Y'all let me know if you have any other ideas for me -- this should be a very special homecoming! ;-)

Thanks again, everybody -- you folks are the best!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

Kathy,

Thank God your boy is safe! What a terrible experience for all of you.

Your story had tears coming to my eyes when you heard he was safe. I'm also in awe of how level-headed and resourceful your son was! You should be EXTREMELY proud!

Your story also brings back a faith in humanity that with all the news lately has been hard to remember. All the people caring and helping you, from the people who do that for a living, to the security guard and the car guy who don't know you from Adam! God bless you, your family, and everyone who had a part in your experience!

Nadine

~~Happiness is an Attitude~~

RE: Thanks so much, everyone!

How about a global positioning compass? How about a HUGE ball of string? Or a bag of breadcrumbs? I know, I'm sick. Re-read this in 3 days and maybe you'll smile then :p . Just for the record, by tomorrow you'll probably start feeling "almost" normal again. Still shell-shocked but definitely on the mend. Hugs again - Lexy

Kathy-
This is a stunning report. I don't want to call it a "story." Thank God your son is unharmed. And what a blessing to have all those people organize and find him. I don't know what to say; I was crying the whole time I read your account. It makes me want to go and wake my children and see that they are home.

I am so sorry your family had to live through this, but am relieved to read the outcome. Sharing this was hopefully a healing activity for you, while it makes me (& others I imagine) more appreciative of our families at the same time.

God Bless you and your family

Kathy, I am sorry I am so late in responding. I was a huge goosebump the whole time we talked on the phone for an hour & a half. I had the biggest lump in my throat and fought back tears as you told me everything. I still say it is you and Kenney who taught Alex his calming, coping and sensible nature. I KNOW how proud you are of him. I am so very thankful all turned out well and glad to hear you are recovering. This place would not be the same without your humor! :7 A BIG, BIG hug to you. {{{KATHY}}} (Have you thought about picking up a dog collar and leash??? Tee-Hee!) All kidding aside, give Alex a big hug for us all on the 16th.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Kathy,

When I told my husband your ordeal, he mentioned that a GPS unit would have come in handy. As long as you know the coordinents of where you started, you should be able to get back there.

Maybe when the price comes down, they will be standard equipment for all boy scouts. :)

Nadine

~~Happiness is an Attitude~~

Kathy,

My heart went out to you and your family while I read your message. I am soo glad that Alex is okay. What a scary experience! I'm thrilled to see all of the kindness you and Ken experienced while you were going through such a stressful time.

Lorrayne

A second thank-you!

Debbie, Lorrayne, Nadine and everybody else who responded since my last thank you ----- THANKS to all of you, my friends! My husband has copied the link to this thread and sent it to a bunch of people who are just blown away by the supportiveness of this group. And the humor. :) I would buy that kid of mine a GPS tracking bracelet in a heartbeat now -- the camp is actually investigating subscribing to the service in future summers. For the moment I like Lexy's idea of a HUGE ball of string. ;-)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

RE: A second thank-you!

Kathy,

I'm just now reading about your ordeal. I have a 17 year old son as well, and my heart just goes out to you with what you've been through. I can honestly say I can't imagine anything in this world more horrifying.

I am so very thankful he is okay. You have all been through so much. Hug each other close each and every day. God Bless You!

Jeanne

Oh Kathy! This is the first I have heard of your family's ordeal. My heart was pounding the whole time I read your retelling of the event but so thankful that all is well.

I will remember to give my son a huge hug tonite.

Hugs,
Hedy

Kathy,
I just finished reading your post. I teared up and have goose bumps ALL OVER! The people you met and the encouragement along the way of this awful ordeal just touched my heart so much. I'm so glad your son was found! I just finished praising the Lord! Wow! One never knows what a day holds! I'm just so happy for you and yours!
Angela:7

Kathy-
I just got back from vacation and read your story. I am so happy to hear that Alex is safe!!! What a wonderful teenager he is. Sending all of you lots of big hugs!!!! ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.