My shaky triceps

Elyse

Hi Cathe!
I have a question regarding the tricep section of C/S/T. I have been faithfully working out with this tape (and the other two in this series) once a week for about 5 months now, seeing excellent results, especially in my shoulders. In the Chest section, I start out with the heaviest weight that I can handle, which is about 35lbs (40 on a good day!), and I also use 15lb and 10lb dumbells for the flys. In the Shoulder section, I stay with the 10lb weights, and use an 8lb dumbell for the "lighter" weight. I have noticed a significant increase in the weight that I can handle in the 1st 2 sections.
The thing is, when I get to the tricep section, I can barely even lift the 10lb weight when I'm lying on my board, and for the French presses I struggle with the 8lb, usually I need to use my 6lb dumbells if I want to finish the whole thing. I tremble a lot throughout the tricep work which is done lying down. The amount of weight I can handle in this section has not changed for me since I started.
However, when I get to the tricep dips, I can finish both sets with my 35lb barbell on my lap. The noticeable trembling usually continues for a little over an hour after my workout, and I usually feel "shaky" for a good part of the morning afterwards. (You can tell when I've done this tape because my eyeliner is a mess!)
Is this normal? Is there another way that you know that I could handle a heavier weight on my triceps? I try to include more protein in my diet the night before I do this tape and through the day after I finish. This seems to have helped with the trembling. I know you don't give advice about nutrition, I'm not really looking for any, just wanted to know if you can help with the trembling and/or my inability to handle a heavier weight during that section.
Thanks for all your help!
Elyse

Lighter weights for some triceps exercises

I'm REAL strong, but I have to use lighter weights for some of those tricep exercises, especially for the ones during which you are lying on your bench on your back, like the french press and the across the face one.

So, it's natural, chick. Don't let it get you into a lather.
happy.gif

Me too...

Not that I am real strong
wink.gif
, but those triceps have been kicking my butt. Especially the first set of presses straight up over the belly button....yeoowwzza.
Come to think of it...the shoulders are still burning with that one and adding to the fatigue for me...but I am pretty whipped out by the end as well. It will be fun to see what weights we use with the new sixpack... when we can focus more on single muscles
happy.gif

Hey..they are filming today
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

nancy:O)

Shaky triceps :)

I hear you on those cross body kickbacks. There's something about the angle of them that gets me every time.

It's perfectly normal to have to go lighter on the exercises you've named, which isolate the triceps pretty effectively. On the shaking, in addition to the protein you've mentioned, please be sure you're drinking enough fluids before, during and after your workout. Shakiness is often a sign of dehydration.

Shoulders are my weak area and when I posted some questions to Cathe about my weak shoulders many, many months ago, she suggested that I give them priority in my workout for a while. For example, work them first and then do the rest of the body parts. Or do an extra day of just shoulders.

I think you could apply the same principle to your tricep workout. If you want to try working them first, for example, just do the PS CST warm-up, then go ahead and do the two sets of decline push-ups and then FF to do the triceps section. When you're done, rewind and go back to chest section, starting up with the first set of barbell chest presses. Do the chest section and the shoulder section, then FF to the stretch at the end. (I only suggest that you do the push-ups before the tricep section, because it seems like a good warm-up set for that whole group of muscles.)

This worked well with my shoulders. It allowed me to build a bit more strength, because they weren't as fatigued. Although I have to add that my shoulders increase in strength veerrrrrrrry slowly. It seems as if I went a year with only tiny increases and then one day I shot up a HUGE increment all at once. You may find the same pattern for your triceps.

I deserve a medal for keeping my train of thought as I typed. My 5-year old is in the next room and from some one, somewhere, he learned to say "WHAZZUP." 100 times. His 3-year old sister is trying to copy him. Is it too early for Happy Hour?

Whazupp?

Hey Daphne. I have a 52-year-old who has just decided that it's his favorite word!!! Give me strength !!!

troubled triceps

I also had trouble with my triceps being the week point of my workout. I started doing some tricep work on days when I didn't do the C/S/T video. After my workout for that day I would take the heaveiest weight I could handle safely and do 3 sets of 10 reps of the French presses and cross-body kick-backs. If I felt I could do more, next time I would add more reps or use a heavier weight. This worked out well for me bacause it didn't take that much time to do and I started noticing that when I did the video, I was able to hadle more weight with my triceps. Now my triceps are one of my stronger muscle groups. Good Luck and Happy Lifting!
Crystal

my wussy little triceps

Elyse, I made a 12 week strength commitment about 8 weeks ago. I'm beginning to notice an improvement in how my legs, shoulders & biceps look, but my wussy little triceps? no difference! :(

And yes, I have days when I feel like a gummy bear after my strength routine! All shaky & weak.

Perseverence is the key! Stick with it & you will improve!

ps - got a kick out of your eyeliner comment!

One more piece of advice

Hi Elyse,
I found that my triceps tend to cramp up a little bit..try doing some additional stretches between the sets.
Good luck!!!

asking again

Hi Cathe--
Leave it to me to ask a question on the 1st day of taping. I'm just asking again so I can bring this up to the top--
Sorry if you've already read this and said "no way man"
thanks
Elyse

Daphne???

Huh?
I thought you were still on vacation?!?!?

Do they have computers on the beach?? Do tell.

Suzanne M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.