My new sneakers... so disappointing!

delfin

Cathlete
I bought new sneakers for step, and I'm so disappointed. They're Nike's, don't know exactly which style, but are supposedly "cross trainers." They are now delegated as my official walking shoes, because they make me feel so clumsy when I do step. I know there are tons of you Ryka fans out there. What exactly is it about the Rykas that you love? Are they really great for step? I'm so tempted to go back to my old shoes, but know they're shot.

For the Ryka Enlight, do you usually order up a size, or a half size, from your regular shoe size? Thanks for any input!:)

I love my Ryka and although I believe there are a lot of good shoes out there, I will never go back. I like them because they are roomy enough in the toe and snug in the heel and the lateral support is great not only for stepping but for all aerobics. But the biggest plus for me is the cushion for the high impact stuff. I order my usual size.

I think the Enlight are no longer available. I tried to get them recently, but no luck. I got the N-Gage cross trainer instead, and it is working well for me. I did have to order a half size up. Ordering and returning (if nec) from Zappos is very convenient. Good luck!

My husband had the same complaint about Nikes. We walk frequently but for some reason these shoes hurt his feet in the toe area.

I love Ryka because they have a nice toe box that accompanies aerobic socks. I recycle them in to walking shoes after I feel there might be a slight breakdown after about six months of aerobics.

I Have yet to buy a pair of sneakers that are cross trainers that i like... It must be a worn out thing. No one makes a good one.
I have 10 Pair of 80 buck shoes that i hate. I am ready to give up...
It is either too tight, too loose, not enough lateral support, too heavy or not enough shock ability. I give . Some day i will find the right ones and buy 10 pair. LOL...

I have everything from Asics-120 bucks to New Balance . I have tried Ryka, Nikie, Saucony. I am i guess really picky.
Find one, let me know..

I have Ryka N Gauge and LOVE them. I also have Ryka Enlight II's but I am not crazy about them. Previously I wore New Balance crosstrainers for years and they always worked well for me.

I love my Ryka N Gage too. At first they took a little getting used to because they fit higher--a little past the ankle--than my other Rykas, but once I broke them in they were very comfortable. I hope Ryka continues this line because this is the first sneaker that hasn't given me problems.

I tried Ryka's once.....think it was the N-Gage style. Hated them. They slipped on my feet.

I've been using Saucony Cross Trainers and Saucony Racing Shoes in Tangent Grid's - simply the BEST shoes I've ever used. I have already purchased 3 pairs of them and that's all I'll wear. The Tangent Grid's have generous cushioning under the forefoot and they fit like a glove. They are perfect for running, step aerobics, plyometrics, etc.

The crosstrainers have great lateral support and come up mid ankle for good support there, but they don't have the same degree of cushioning.

I get my shoes at www.zappos.com and they have free shipping and free returns.

I have Ryka N-Gage and absolutely love them. I have two pairs an alternate them everyday. I did go up a half size, I'm usually an 8 1/2 but take a 9 in the Rykas.
Jen

I also have the tangent grid by saucony and like them as well for step and floor aerobics, but do not like them for kckboxing.

Asics makes pretty good shoes, and they are okay priced. I order from Zappos online, they are fabulous!
I got the black, higher top type of cross trainers, love them. The allow that room in the toe area.
I actually work out in my MBT's though. Especially during the higher impact workouts, they offer such great cushioning. But are clumsier for step, because they are a little heavier than a normal shoe.
But Nike has always disappointed me, their shoes are so cute, but performance wise--horrible!

I have several versions of Rykas and like them more than anything else I've tried so far. I've always ordered my regular shoe size - there's plenty of toe space which is nice when you wear the more cushioned socks for shock absorbancy. I like the higher tops for ankle support although I sometimes get "rubbing" there that causes some discomfort in the ankle area. The Rykas are kind of pricey but I figure if they help my feet withstand the beating I'm willing to pay it.

Nikes can definitely be a crap shoot. I've found their cross trainers to be really uncomfortable, but I love their running shoes.

Also a second for Asics--they are without a doubt the most comfy workout shoes I own. :)

I have the Ryka N Gage and I love them!!! They support me around the ankles and they are so comfortable. Best shoe I have ever worn. I too tried a Nike crosstrainer and felt like I was stepping with 10 pound weights on my feet. I took them back immediately. Never looked back since going with Ryka. Shoesontheweb has them for $39.99 with no tax and free shipping!!!! Teresa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.