My ego is a little bruised now, but motivated!!

geojill

Cathlete
Today was my first day doing Butts & Guts. I decided on the timesaver as I am not used to doing workouts over 1 hour at this point. I didn't realize how long it's been since I did a serious weights workout and it really put me in my place! I wasn't able to finish it and realized that I need to go back to the basics and rebuild my strength foundation before moving on to more advanced workouts. I am a bit shocked and a bit sad at the muscle strength that I've lost (I suffered a 4 month burnout where I worked out 3x a week at most, and none of it was weights).

I looked at Cathe's beginner rotation but as I am not really a beginner exerciser, I haven't considered it. I can do a total body weights video but I think this is the first time I did a more focused workout, and perhaps that's why I had such a hard time. If anyone has any advice for regaining my strength without overwhelming myself, I'd be greatly appreciative!

I'd start with the Push Pull/Supersets dvd and also add in some circuits like Cardio&Weights, or Low Impact Circuit. You could also start with the CTX series or the Timesaver dvd.

Jill
Don't let this bruise you to bad! I was doing 12 lb dumbells on leaner legs and tried butts and gutts for the first time last week lowered my weight due to new workout and could n't walk for 2 days and took a week off to heal. I plan on trying it again tomorrow (I love punishment) I hope that I cracked open those glutes and can do the workout and walk then I will know I have advanced just a little bit more. Small accomplishments mean the world to me! hang in there
duck

Thanks! I love a tough workout but I think it was a bit beyond my abilities right now. It does give me something to strive for, though! I'll have to try some of the workouts that Stacy suggested...I have PP/SS and I like them (haven't done SS in months, though!).

I'll have to look into Low Impact Circuit and I have Cardio & Weights, as it came with my Basic Step DVD. I had considered the intermediate rotation, but it calls for Body Fusion and I don't have that. I have Basic Step which came with an old step that I no longer have, and I have Basic Step/Cardio & Weights. In order to get Body Fusion, I'd need a third copy of Basic Step and I don't need that! lol

I think I've found a rotation I can do for August. I was looking at the Video/DVD rotations section and found Lainie's generic rotation ideas. I think I'm going to do the Total Body rotation that she posted. I can do Push Pull or Supersets for Total Body, Cardio & Weights or LIC (I think I'll buy that one!) for circuit, and I've got one or two step and kickboxing workouts.

So many of Cathe's rotations look so great but I know I need to build up to them!

You'll love LIC, Jill! And there's a really nice total body premix in there too, if you want to sub circuit day for a total strength day.

And since I know you love Billy too (I hover on those boards), I would suggest Drill Max, if you don't have it. That total body premix is one of my favorites, and the cardio in there is an awesome change from the norm with some tough agility drills!\

In fact, right now, I'm wishing I'd done that instead of TBFB Cardio this morning!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.