My disappointing 10K race! :(

My 10K in May was great, I finished in the upper half of my age group. I didn't stick out as being flabby and out of shape. Of course that 10K had 8,000 runners in it.

Fast forward to 3 months later, Saturday July 14. I bet you have the impression that Kansas is a flat state, it is, except the town I ran my 10K in. I used to live there about 13 years ago and the hills had vanished from my mind (I didn't run back then) I haven't run hills like that since I ran cross country in the late 70's in High School.

There were about 70 of us. They all seemed to be hard core runners. They had on their cute very short running shorts with tank tops. I had on my red bike shorts and a tee shirt from a previous run. I was the only one in bike shorts. If I didn't wear the bike shorts I am afraid my thighs would rub together too much and cause chaffing. My legs are not fat, they are just big. Some runners have big legs, some have sticks.

After the first mile (BTW no calling out mile splits at each mile, only mile 3 and mile 5) I got a hard cramp in my stomach (after a huge hill). At the mile point people began to kick it into high gear, and I ate everyones dust. I had no one to pace. I was alone. My Walkman did not pick up my usual Wichita stations. When I could get music, it sucked.

The hills got the best of me, and I had to walk a few times.

I did not beat my previous time of 58:00 I crossed the finish line at 62:00 this time. A nine year old girl crossed the finish line right before me. I came in 10th to last place.

As I crossed the finish line a woman with a medal in her hand said "How old are you?" "38", I said. "Oh" she said "no medal for you." And I am thinking to myself, I just ran 6.2 miles and you are standing there all clean, pretty, and over weight and out of shape, and you just said that to me?" "B_T_H!" Did she think I was in the 40+ age group?

Well atleast I got a nice tee-shirt. I get home and my beautiful boys (ages 6 and 8)had made a banner that said "Mom is the Number 1 Runner". Took a shower, put on the new shirt, only to have it tear on a nail sticking out of a chair.

Every Race is as individual as the person running it! And don't forget that.... What you have to do is not judge the 10k by the previous 10k you ran 3 mos. ago, but rather, run it NEXT year and see how well you do against yourself on the SAME course! So much plays into running, the course, the weather, your mood, EVERYTHING.

I talk big (tee-hee!!!) I only ran one 5k in my entire life. It was an eye-opening experience. I came in 182nd out of 212 or something like that. I was informed later that it was a "fast" race, which made me feel better.

I still wear the t-shirt, cuz let's face it, I FINISHED the race.

You did what you set out to do. You wanted to run a 10k, you ran a 10k and you finished!!! Not to be belittled by ANYONE! Take pride in the fact that you CAN run, you DID run and you are in great shape at age 38. NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.

And there it is....
Long winded as usual!
I think you did great.
Cleda

Your story made me laugh, in a good way. I applaude your effort, your participation and your fitness commitment. But the tragic aspects were very comical also. I like how you ended it with the shirt getting torn. :) Thanks for the story.

Ditto what Cleda said!

I think you should be really proud of yourself for running and finishing the race. I ran a 5K a couple of years ago and it was an eye-opening experience for me. Running a race is so different (at least for me) than just going out and running on your own.

That's too bad about your t-shirt...guess you'll just have to run next year in order to get another one! ;-) To be honest, *that's* what would've really disappointed me. I loved getting the t-shirt when I ran my race!

Your story reminded me of the time some kid who looked to be about 13 or 14 years old passed me on the final half mile of a 21 mile mountain bike race. I also had the pleasure of being passed on the final mile of a 10k race by a guy pushing a baby stroller. And I certainly dont consider myself to be some hack who just does the weekend warrior thing. Anyone who has done competitive sports events has suffered from bad days so dont sweat it. And anyway, I'd rather have my kids think I am number 1 because I am their dad than to have some prize given to me for winning. Your boys sound like they were the ones giving the only prize that matters. :)
As for the overweight volunteer with no class......I wouldnt give her a second thought. Not worth it!!
Great job Natalie!
Trevor

Hi Natalie,
I just had to add my congratulations for running the race in the first place, & especially for finishing it!
I'm nowhere near you in that...would be thrilled to finish a 5K, let alone a 10K!
Your story was written with wit & humor, & that says a lot about you right there.
I agree that your children's thoughts were the only that counted...you did great.
Ruth :)

Don't despair!! Yippee for you! I dislike running but decided once to challenge myself and run a 10K to prove that I could do it. A friend of mine, who was coming back from having a baby, and I prepared all spring. Come the day of the race, she didn't come b/c she "knew" she wouldn't be able to beat her old time. Ha! She ran way faster than me. Well, I went and did it but I was passed by EVERYONE! I was one of the last people who was actually running to cross the finish line for a final time of 1 hour and 4 minutes. I wasn't embarrassed b/c I met with my goal and so did you! Be proud!! You did it! That is much more than most people can say! BTW, haven't run since. Gimme Cathe anyday!!

YOU GO GIRL!! :-wow

Marcia, mosquito-bitten in northern Sweden

Your Accomplishment!

Natalie, congratulations on your 10-K. While you may have been disappointed, I'm impressed that you stuck with it even though you found yourself with a hardcore group. Good for your boys who recognized that their Mom is a champ & a heck of a role model.

RE: Debra's right!

Natalie:

I 2nd what everyone else here said. So you had an off-day? Who doesn't sometimes? What's really great is how your kids welcomed you back home with that banner and everything. What a great family! I hope to have kids as great as yours someday.

Best wishes,

Maxy :)

Putting things into perspective

Hi,
When I saw you did 6.2 miles in 62 minutes I was quite impressed. I'm only a few years younger (32) and I'm lucky to do a 13 minute mile for a 2.6 mile stretch. I can only walk/jog. No straight jogging or running for me. But you know what....I know that 13 minutes is good for ME and that as I continue I will get better.

So let me give you the applause you deserve.

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/party/luxhello.gif

Dawn W

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.