My Cathe Chrono Mission

SteppnStrong

Cathlete
I had a big set back a few years ago - broke my shoulder and ruptured my ACL + other damage. Two separate incidents done whilst roller skating (180 spin jumps) & to get back into workouts, started with beginner, doing EVERY workout & premix... I'm a very systematic kind of person. ;) But that was taking too long - every premix?! I'll not get past intermediate before I'm 70!

Change of plan.

ENTER: My Cathe Chrono Mission.
I've been doing every one of Cathe's workouts I have, in chronological order - aiming to complete them all by my 60th birthday. I'm up to having done 56 of them.
Need a bit of oomph to my motivation so thought this forum may find it kind of interesting to follow along.

Chronological - just based on the year it was released.
For sets that came out at the same time, have put them into a sensible rotation kind of order.
It is my intention to continually edit this top post, shifting 'to-do', to 'done', but post comments on the workouts & my progress down-thread. To complete the mission by my 60th birthday, I need to do one workout roughly every 2nd day, but could possibly tighten that by doing a stretch or core on the same day as something else. Alternate days can be recovery, someone else (so I don't burn out on the one instructor), something lighter, or just room for "life gets in the way".

Please feel free to comment, follow along, offer encouragement, JOIN IN ??? - or ignore me completely. ;)
Completed:
redone 29/5/22 Step N Motion 1
redone 30/5/22 Mega Step Blast
redone 31/5/22 Step Heat (incl. abs)
redone 1/6/22 Step Max
redone 2/6/22 Power Max
redone 3/6/22 Step Jam
redone 4/6/22 Step Fit
redone 5/6/22 Maximum Intensity Cardio
redone 6/6/22 Maximum Intensity Strength
redone 7/6/22 Step Works
redone 8/6/22 Interval Max
redone 9 to 11/6/22 Pure Strength
redone 12/6/22 Cardio Kicks
redone 13/6/22 Circuit Max
redone 19 to 25/6/22 Cross Train Express
redone 25/6/22 Rhythmic Step
redone 26 to 28/6/22 Slow & Heavy
redone 29/6/22 Body Max
redone 30/6/22 Power Hour
redone 7 to 16/7/22 Intensity Series (Boot Camp, Muscle Endurance, Cardio & Weights, Interval _____________________Max 2, Pyramid Upper Body, Pyramid Lower Body, Pyramid Bonus Combo, _____________________Terminator: Imax Extreme, Gauntlet,
Intensity - Viper
Body Blast Series

- Step, Jump, & Pump, - Kick, Punch, & Crunch, - Step Blast, - Legs & Glutes, - Supersets, - Push Pull,
- Timesaver: Workout 1 Step, Chest, & Triceps, - Timesaver: Workout 2 Step, Hi/Lo, Back, & Core,
- Timesaver: Workout 3 Step, Biceps, & Core, - Timesaver: Workout 4 Kickbox & Shoulders, - Timesaver: Workout 5 Legs & Core
Basic Step
Body Fusion - Main Workout
High Step Circuit + Bonus S-Ball Abs
Basic Step + Body Fusion - All Addons Mix (Fusion's w/u & stretch)
High Step Training
Hardcore Series

- Low Max, - Core Max: Workout 1 (no equipment),

Yet to be done:
Hardcore Series
- Muscle Max, - Stretch Max: Routine 1 (no equipment), - High Step Challenge, - Core Max : Workout 2 (S-ball), - Interval Max 3,
- Core Max: Complete Core Mix, - Hardcore Extreme: Hilo Intervals, - Stretch Max: Routine 2 (S-Ball), - Kick Max,
- Core Max: Tough Core Mix, - Gym Style: Legs, - Stretch Max: Routine 3 (Flat Band), - Hardcore Extreme: Interval Circuit,
- Gym Style: Chest & Triceps
Low Impact Step
Total Body Sculpting
Total Body Stretching

Body Max 2
Butts & Guts + Bonus S-Ball Abs
Cardio Fusion
Drill Max
Low Impact Circuit
4 Day Split

Shock Training System (STS), with Shock Cardio & Ab Circuits mixed in amongst
High Reps
Intensity
Low Impact Series - ....
Cross Fire + Core Mix
To The Max
XTrain Series

Greatest Hits - Main Workout
Greatest Hits - Bonus Circuit Workout
Party Rockin' Step 1
Lean Legs & Abs + Bonus Barre
Great Glutes
Flex Train
X10

Rockout Knockout
Party Rockin' Step 2
Ripped With HiiT (RWH)

Intermediate Conditioning Extreme (ICE)
Strong & Sweaty
Low Impact Training Extreme (LITE)
Fit Tower
Fit Split
Step Boss
Perfect 30
Boss Loops & Bands
----------------------------
STS 2.0 (probably AFTER my 60th birthday) - ....

Last edited:
Tuesday, 26th April, 2022
High Step Circuit + Bonus S-Ball Abs

Checked my log and have done this several times at a 10" step height for the cardio sections but without an ACL, every workout I do for the first time since it broke is done matching the video - safety!

The crew had 3lb (1.5kg weights), I used 5kg (11lb) throughout, & tubing was 13lb Bodylastics. Pushups are still on my knees though. :(
Definitely felt very comfortable the whole time.
Notes for next time: 8" step for cardio, 5.5kg (12lb) weights next time, 13lb tubing was good.

Last edited:
Congratulations on all the Cathe workouts! Great job! I am over at the daily check-in with Annette (and Geoff sometimes). Feel free to say hi!

Over a year ago, I went through all the ones I owned at the time chronologically as released and it was fun!
I own more now and keep plugging them in until I can ( hopefully) do them, including any fave premix, at least once.
I probably could have done them all if I didn't keep buying more :D

Have fun in your Cathe time travel!!

Thanks! It has been fun & the longer I go on, the more I'm enjoying it. I'm all bonded up with Cedie, Brenda, Jai, & Lorraine. :)

Thursday, 28th April
Basic Step + Body Fusion - All Addons Mix, with Fusion's w/u & stretch

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been a runner, duathlete and Spartan racer the past few years and just screwed up my medial meniscus last months. Having been sidelined from running, I pulled out old workout DVDs and found I could do lateral motion cardio and step painlessly if I wear my knee brace. I did a few Cathe workouts this past week and thought: "Wow, why don't I just do all of Cathe's workouts in order as my next athletic project?" I did a Google search for such a list and found this. I am SO going to plug this in on my rotation calendar! Maybe not in exact order (because I like to alternate cardio one day with weights the next day) but I sure will add my progress to this thread if you don't mind. :)

Saturday, 30th April
High Step Training

This was hard. No, not ALL of it... the cardio was (because I was jumping up & down holding 10kg more weight than I did last time - it's called a built-in weighted vest/pants) and the repeated sets of 15 low-end hover squats were hard; starting each round after cardio with leg presses AGAIN was mentally hard - just didn't WANT to do the last set, nor the 2nd last come to think of it.

Notes for next time:
Used 8" step for cardio apart from the one with fast side taps (6" for that) - concerned about my knee (no ACL).
12" plyo box for leg presses, sit 'n' stands, 1-arm tricep dips (oh, THEY were REALLY hard too), & tricep pushups.
30.9 lb barbell (mine is metric) for all barbell exercises - could have gone heavier on deadlifts/rows, maybe a tad heavier for the leg work, was just right for biceps
5kg for the 'grab a heavy weight' bits, could have gone heavier for flys
3.5kg for 'pick up your light weights', and noted to try 4kg to start with next time for all of those.

Saturday, 30th April
High Step Training

This was hard. No, not ALL of it... the cardio was (because I was jumping up & down holding 10kg more weight than I did last time - it's called a built-in weighted vest/pants) and the repeated sets of 15 low-end hover squats were hard; starting each round after cardio with leg presses AGAIN was mentally hard - just didn't WANT to do the last set, nor the 2nd last come to think of it.

Notes for next time:
Used 8" step for cardio apart from the one with fast side taps (6" for that) - concerned about my knee (no ACL).
12" plyo box for leg presses, sit 'n' stands, 1-arm tricep dips (oh, THEY were REALLY hard too), & tricep pushups.
30.9 lb barbell (mine is metric) for all barbell exercises - could have gone heavier on deadlifts/rows, maybe a tad heavier for the leg work, was just right for biceps
5kg for the 'grab a heavy weight' bits, could have gone heavier for flys
3.5kg for 'pick up your light weights', and noted to try 4kg to start with next time for all of those.
HOVER SQUATS! Satan laughs as I cry. But they're so good for you.

Would be delighted to have you join in!
THANKS! I'm off work today and have been going through the chrono list from the 2018 Cathe Compendium that's posted here in the forum so I can start the rotation on Monday. I still have Pyramid Lower Body to finish up my last plan and will do that in the morning, then begin anew. This is going to be SO MUCH FUN! :)

I'm looking forward to having someone join in. :) Was happy to see a new post in the thread this morning.

I start in on the Hardcore Series today (1st of May) but since I did one yesterday, I can "officially" stave off until Monday. Not sure what I'll start with - they're all so long.

Monday, 2nd May
Hardcore - Low Max

Did this last in 2013 - 9 years and & ruptured ACL ago - did it on 8" step as in video.
Played cautious & went with 6". First 3 intervals - ALMOST bumped it up to the 8", but didn't. By the 5th I was glad I didn't. The final blast, essentially skipped it - just too tired; but pushed hard, REALLY hard, up to that point.

DAY 1 of Cathe Time Travel Rotation
Monday 5/2/22
Cross Train Express Upper Body

This was a lot more fun than the last time I did it, which was probably about 7 years ago. I remember being exhausted trying to match Cathe's weights and feeling like it was a major feat. Since then, I've gone through STS as couple of times and I guess I'm stronger. Plus I paused the TV to give myself at least 30 seconds between sets and a minute of rest between each body part segment. I also started with the 5:00 Power Circuit warmup since there was none in this workout.

I used 65% of my 1 rep max for weight and did between 10-12 reps per set, no matter what Cathe was doing, and I skipped a lot of the little extra pulses etc. and just did straight sets. It ended up being 8-9 sets per body part with 10-12 each, so still pretty intense. And I really enjoyed the workout!

ROTATION NOTE:
My weekly plan for this project is to do:
(1) a 2 or 3 day split each week for weights with
(2) a boot camp or circuits workout as well. That way I can have a heavier day plus a lighter day and still hit all body parts twice weekly.
I will fill in the other days with a step and a kickbox/floor cardio, at minimum, and a HiiT/tabata once in a while when I have time.
I'll be working out 5 days a week then resting or doing yoga on the other two.
I've also scheduled an easier week every third week where lifting intensity and workout time are both lessened a bit.
I'm 66 years old and still working 30 hours a week so I have not only the "older body" to deal with but also the lack of time that an 8am start brings on some of my work days. The cardios might end up getting shortened, but I never ever want to skimp on the strength workouts so I've calendared most of those on my days off.

I smiled when I saw that you'd posted Lianne. :)

Ahhh - CTX was the first set I bought, so it has fond memories for me. Did all of those workouts many times, especially All Step, because step cardio is my go-to favourite.

My plan isn't as well mapped out as yours - I'm just doing them in chronological order if they're not from a set, and only need one every 2nd day to finish by my 60th birthday - and that also means just one workout from Core Max on one day, and one workout from Stretch Max on another day. So it should be very manageable. The days in between I can do anything else I want to - but have target minutes of cardio/muscle/flexibility each week to aim for - and just pick what I need to achieve that if lacking in any area. Also, if an easier/shorter one is scheduled next, I might do it without the day between - to give me wiggle room later on when (ugh) dread factor creeps in and I want to stall (or recover) for an extra day or two.

Within a series, they are ordered like a sensible rotation. For example - pretty sure inserted the Stretch Max routines after the Hardcore Extremes for additional recovery time, and those Extremes are spread evenly throughout the series.

Speaking of your 1RM, I need to start getting them done ready for July when STS is scheduled to start.

Tuesday, 3rd May
21min, Hardcore - Core Max - Workout 1 (no equipment) for chrono
Can NOT do levitation holds, even when using pushups handles to extend my arms. :(
45min Cathe - Step Heat - Finished Product x1 Mix
chapter menu for w/u, [C1 FP + C2 FP]x3, c/d, stretch
just 6", but added all jumps as given. Bit of a recovery day from Low Max, but wanted lots of steps.

Last edited:
I smiled when I saw that you'd posted Lianne. :)

Ahhh - CTX was the first set I bought, so it has fond memories for me. Did all of those workouts many times, especially All Step, because step cardio is my go-to favourite.

My plan isn't as well mapped out as yours - I'm just doing them in chronological order if they're not from a set, and only need one every 2nd day to finish by my 60th birthday - and that also means just one workout from Core Max on one day, and one workout from Stretch Max on another day. So it should be very manageable. The days in between I can do anything else I want to - but have target minutes of cardio/muscle/flexibility each week to aim for - and just pick what I need to achieve that if lacking in any area. Also, if an easier/shorter one is scheduled next, I might do it without the day between - to give me wiggle room later on when (ugh) dread factor creeps in and I want to stall (or recover) for an extra day or two.

Within a series, they are ordered like a sensible rotation. For example - pretty sure inserted the Stretch Max routines after the Hardcore Extremes for additional recovery time, and those Extremes are spread evenly throughout the series.

Speaking of your 1RM, I need to start getting them done ready for July when STS is scheduled to start.
Doing them every other day and arranging other stuff in between is a great way to do a rotation too! That makes a lot of sense.

And I do know the dread factor! Some of those super long ones I've done only once since they first came out because its really hard to make myself work out for much more than an hour at a time. In fact, I'm already planning to break some into a two-day split just to get through them. I stopped buying Cathe's DVDs a few years ago and started subscribing to the Workout Blender so it should be pretty easy to chop a workout in half.

And thanks for the welcome. :)

Last edited:
DAY 2 of Cathe Time Travel Rotation
Tuesday 5/3/22
Step N Motion

Ah, young Cathe! She looked like a teenager in this one. I probably did this one last about 5 years ago maybe? I have a hard time keeping up with Cathe's choreography and, as much as I like step, I haven't done hers very much because the later ones are so complex (for me anyway). However this was pretty easy to follow and I'd forgotten that. I modified the plyo because of my knee problem and shelved the upper body section for a later day (I'm going to do that part with CTX Power Circuit since it doesn't really have any), but I truly enjoyed it. Hopefully doing these in order will be like a progressive lesson in The Cathe Method of Step Aerobics and I'll gain more skill along the way.

DAY 3 of Cathe Time Travel Rotation
Wednesday 5/4/22
CTX Leaner Legs/Abs

I think I've only done this one once before. I can't remember what it was that kept me from doing it again, but I sure did like it today. With my knee just barely 6 weeks past the meniscus injury, I had to modify a bit but I was still able to do a couple of squat sets with 65% 1RM, all the plie squats and deadlifts as well as two sets of the step ups. The others I did without weights. I also lowered the step to just 3 risers. Weighted lunges are not something I can do any more so I do them unweighted with the sliding disks; those have bothered my knees for a couple of years.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day so I will go through the list and find a stretch/yoga from the Hardcore series and plug it in. I'm off work this entire week but I don't want to overdo and make the knee worse, so I'll honor the intent of an actual "rest" day (especially since this is the first day this week it isn't raining and I'll probably get lots of steps doing garden work later and will definitely need the rest).

DAY 4 of Cathe Time Travel Rotation
Thursday 5/5/22

A rest day. I was going to do a yoga/stretch but the day got away from me.

DAY 5 of Cathe Time Travel Rotation
Friday 5/6/22
Circuit Max

My first Cathe VHS tape at least 20 years ago--what a nice trip down memory lane! I still couldn't keep up with Cathe and had to modify the cardios, but I have the bad knee as an excuse this time. Previously I just couldn't keep up, period. LOL I did this one so many times for a while. I would do grapevines and basic stepping when her choreography got away from me, and could never do the high impact without feeling like I was going to throw up. But I sure did love it. And I still do
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.