Music

Olivia

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I just wanted to make a suggestion regarding the choosing of the music for your workouts. The music that you chose for Body Blast series or Pyramid workouts was really good, but the music that you chose for your new DVD "Low Impact Step" I'm sorry to say was awful. Please, please consider more "up beat" music, that one would expect to hear on a workout DVD and not some type of "funky country western ho down" music.

Not meaning to be unkind, but it does make a difference when working out.

Thank you for your interest in what we think.

I agree that music is a BIG motivation factor in a workout. I love the music in KPC, Step Blast, Cardio and Weights, and several others,
and I realized it's because the music is not just instrumental, it
has fun lyrics. Instrumental music just does not get me excited
about a workout. It may be okay for core work or stretching, or
even some weight lifting, but I can't get into instrumental songs
for cardio. I think that's why I haven't warmed up to Kick Max yet--
the songs don't have lyrics. On the other hand, I love doing
KPC because of the upbeat, catchy songs. Thanks!!

I absolutely HATED the first song on LIS when I first heard it, and it made me actually avoid the workout (which otherwise looked really good to me) for a long time. I don't think I've ever disliked workout music so much. I can tolerate it now, but barely, and it's not really something that makes me want to move (which a first song should). The rest of the music is just "okay," IMO.

It helps a bit if you can make fun of it: someone described it as theme music from Benny Hill (a British comedian in the 70's), and I kind of think of it as circus music. Not what I want to work out to, but thinking of it that way makes it funny rather than annoying.

I realize budget was probably a factor on these Step Co. workouts, but I've heard better low-budget music. The synthesizer was very overdone on this soundtrack.

I realized it's because the music is not just
>instrumental, it
>has fun lyrics. Instrumental music just does not get me
>excited
>about a workout.

YMMV: I prefer non-vocal, or music with very little vocals (not top 40 hits, but music that almost becomes my "workout theme song" and not something I'm going to hear a lot of other places). I like the choices Reebok makes for music, and in Cathe workouts, the music for the first set of push-ups in BC, the music for the end of the chest work in Slow and Heavy, and the music in CK and KPC (in spite of some vocals) are what make me want to move and push and work! I guess I can tolerate more vocals in cardio, but prefer weight workouts with NO lyrics.

The music in the body blast series is my favorite

Have a nice day

Deb

Music really does effect how you get into the workout. One of my favorites is the music on Low Max. It just gets me all pumped up. I really think Cathe has the best music out there.

I thought the Body Blasts were the best, too, but I have to admit her CTX series has my favorite music. I don't mind working so darn hard as long as I can enjoy the music!!!!!

Music is a huge factor for me as well. Working out alone can be boring in itself, so having motivating music really helps set the pace for a person's workout.

TinaT
Faith ~ Family ~ Fitness

I agree. Music is a huge motivator for me. I miss the music from the Body Blast Series and also the music in the Intensity Series used with the cardio workouts. Don't we need more folks in the world singing 'Buttercup' all day after their workout? So fun!

Please, more of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :*

Oh, and while I'm here, PP2 and SS2 would really brown my biscuits. :)

I like top 40 type music for workouts. The kind of songs they kill on radio and I used to dance along to at clubs but never listen to on my own - they're usually silly catchy dancy sort of songs so are well suited for working out. That's my favourite thing about body pump - the soundtracks.

I really enjoy music with lyrics for cardio, but think you should avoid top 40 since you can bore of it quickly. The songs with really good beats are best. How about some Gwen Stafani or some of the really old classics like Dancing in the Streets, B52's, Love Shack?

I really like the music in the Step Blast, Step Jump & Pump, Cardio & Weights and Imax 2. It seems like Cathe is enjoying the workouts more also because of the fun music. IMO she seems extra happy in these workouts.

I love LowMax because its a great workout but I didn't like most of the choice of music there.

Sometimes when I feel like stoping and taking a brief break and I hear a really good song coming up I don't want to stop. It puts a smile on my face and I get back to the workout.

I think it would be really neat if for future "Blasts" the music would be either louder or choreographed to a chorus of an upbeat song (something like Imax 2-love love love this workout). Also some of the step challenges like in Step Blast or Rhythmic Step - it would be neat if different songs were used for those segments to give us that extra push.

My understanding is that Cathe's choice of songs is limited due to costs and other things .........but one can dream right?
:)

Anyway, just my random thoughts. I love Cathe's workouts and they are the best out there.

Kathy

I don't have as many of Cathe's DVDs as many of you, but IMAX 2 the first 3-4 songs definitely motivate me to push hard. I really like driving drum beats with dancing techno music. The updated versions of recognizable songs on that dvd are pretty good too.

Cathe,

Yet another vote for better music for upcoming videos. Your music in the Body Blast series was the highest quality and is GREAT! Step Blast has a perfect combination of nice, bouncy music and motivational song changes at just the right time. The volume is perfect - perfectly matched with the volume of your voice. Not too loud or too quiet. IMAX 2 is another example of great volume and motivational songs.

Now for the dogs - IMAX 3 and Low Max. The volume is too low. It sounds more like background noise and is the aerobic-class-equivalent of hearing a pin drop. The songs themselves aren't motivating either. When I hear the songs from Low Max (and Rythmic Step) I feel like I am banging my head against the wall because the beat is so repetitive. Was the audio guy getting ready for vacation and needed to hurry up and create some songs from the 99 cents bargain bin? Did he just get a new synthesizer and was testing out the same beat over and over to create these songs? Hee hee!

Sorry for the harsh criticism. But music is so vital to the workout - as important as choreography - that bad music ruins a video for me. I am sorry to say I sold my IMAX 3 and will soon be selling my Low Max and Rythmic Step videos because of the music. (I don't even like dance or re-mix music to listen to regularly. I love hard rock and hate the remix of "You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi in IMAX 3 - it's a depressing beat for a workout but great for a concert!)

Love your videos, but sure wish the music was more even. Your choreography, lighting, and sets are so professional and consistent, so the music seems to be the last thing that would improve them. Then, Cathe's videos will be untouchably perfect!

It's very hard for Cathe (I'm sure) to choose music as it's a daunting task trying to please everyone. I LOVED the instrumental music from the CTX series - but I also loved the vocal music from KP&C, Imax 2 and 3, and some of Cathe's 'older' step tapes (i.e.: "Wild Thing!" from Power Max!)

I guess I'd prefer non vocal music for weight lifting and vocal music for cardio - but that's just me.

Boy oh boy, the first time I did Step Blast - I was amazed to hear not one but TWO songs by my beloved Prince on the soundtrack. Now THAT rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another one here who loves the music from

Body Blast

and

Intensity Series.

THE BEST!!!!!!!

Do more of that kind, please!

"She's living in sin with a cowboy, and hell--he can hardly even walk!" --J.R. Ewing, "Dallas"

I actually LOVE the music from LowMax and IMAX3 AND LIC!! Of course there are a few songs here and there that I could do without in other videos (buttercup, pina colata, and that Elvis song for starters), but overall, I think her music choices are great!! I did BM2 today and was LOVING the 80's remixes! So fun!!

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.