Moving to NY (from Athens, Greece... yes, a big step I know!!!)

christosz

Cathlete
Hi all!

I have finally made the big decision to apply for a second M.A. in Cinema Studies at Tisch. Age doesn't matter when you feel the urge to further your education, right?

Anyways, I know the process is going to be long with all the paperwork I need to collect. That is one part of the Golgotha I would eventually need to climb.
The other part is gathering details about living and, most importantly, surviving in NY... ;)

So, any New Yorkers who can offer advice (or even anyone who's been to Tisch School of the Arts), please HELP!!! :D:D:D

TIA,

Chris.

Congrats - NY and NYU grad here! Let me know what questions you have. I'm happy to help. NY is a great and exciting place to live! Congrats on your decision.

Congrats - NY and NYU grad here! Let me know what questions you have. I'm happy to help. NY is a great and exciting place to live! Congrats on your decision.

Thanks! I still can't believe the wheels are turning towards this direction! It's exciting AND scary!!! Athens, the part I'm living in anyways, is so laid back and relaxed, that the hectic life of NY will sure make a difference... And going back to school... phew!!!

Got to gather all my academic records and transcripts first, which will be the first step... and rewriting my CV... excited and terrified!!! LOLOLOL

I hope that by the time I move, I will be able to bring my Frenchie with me... I sure will miss her if I don't... :(

You're not going to be too far from Cathe's studio in New Jersey! That's cool. You could go on the Roadtrips, too eventually!

I agree that NY is a great place to live! I love it! There is so much to do and so little time to get it all done! NY is a great place for the arts. I also use to teach at NYU!

Linda, yes, I will definitely visit Cathe's studio - although I really wanted to go to the Florida road trip... oh, well...

Regina, that's cool! I heard the best things about Tisch... hope they accept me! One thing I learned while travelling abroad (and spending months studying in Leeds, UK) is that one should never approach a foreign city like a tourist, but more like a native... that way you acclimate yourself quicker and really enjoy being there. Especially in NY where nothing stops...

I don't live in New York but have moved around. You'll probably want to get online if you haven't already and check out the living area around where you want to go to school so you don't have a huge commute. I'm sure they have a good transportation system if you need it.
It sounds like there is an Arts Rep at Tisch that can orient you to New York City? I bet they would be the biggest help on resources and the good areas to live in :) Good luck.

I don't live in New York but have moved around. You'll probably want to get online if you haven't already and check out the living area around where you want to go to school so you don't have a huge commute. I'm sure they have a good transportation system if you need it.
It sounds like there is an Arts Rep at Tisch that can orient you to New York City? I bet they would be the biggest help on resources and the good areas to live in :) Good luck.

Thanks for your advice! I just checked online for apartments around Broadway and found a few (starting at $1200 which is quite reasonable).

It's a bit soon but I like to keep things under control early on.

Chris.

Change of plans... Wish me luck!!!

Great news! I was just hired to work for the Special Olympics Organizing Commitee here in Athens for the next 4 months. And on top of that I applied for a job for the London 2012 Olympic Games. I'm waiting for a positive response from London, and here's where I need your positive thoughts! I would love to work for the Olympic Games for the next 15 months or so. The rush is amazing!!! So... NY has to wait for a while, but it's definitely worth it!
Thanks again, guys, for your help and input!

It's official...

I'm moving to London at the end of August, starting work for the London 2012 Olympic Games Organizing Committee in the Accreditation Department. I am really excited even with all the fuss of relocating! Greece is going through a really steep financial decline right now and I am very lucky to be landing such a great job!
Any Londoners in here to suggest a good gym or health club? The Committee is paying part (hopefully a big part) of all employees' memberships! Unfortunately I will have to leave all my Cathe DVDs back (even the new ones) and make do with what I can find there.

Chris.

I'll have to rent a flat share... So no workout room I'm afraid... Also I can't afford taking all those weights with me or buy new ones. Besides I'll be coming home once a month or so, so I'll be able to catch up with Cathe.

Congratulations! You you join a gym and use the downloads? You can google the gyms in the area you are moving too. Good luck!

I'll have to rent a flat share... So no workout room I'm afraid... Also I can't afford taking all those weights with me or buy new ones. Besides I'll be coming home once a month or so, so I'll be able to catch up with Cathe.

Right, I forgot about lugging those weights along for the move ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.