moving to Arizona!

bethj

Cathlete
My husband I decided to move to Arizona recently kind of out of the blue! I have some questions-we are looking at NW area around Arrowhead Ranch- I have driven around the area some but not seen the actual inside of all the developments. My husband will work in Surprise and I'll be in a state office bldg at 3300 N. 19th ave. So we've picked that NW corner of the 101. Does this sound like a good plan? We want to live on a golf course...Is it nice? Any other ideas? Any other survival tips besides sunscreen and moisturizer? I love hot weather!!!! Should we have a pool or just a spa? I would just want to dip in it, not swim laps. I don't think I can afford a golf course lot in Scottsdale or I would move there! Any "red flags" to look for when we are buying a home?
Beth

I live in North Phoenix. Arrowhead Ranch is very nice, I just love looking at the homes when I am over there. As far as good/bad neighborhoods, I would have to consult my hubby who is a police officer for the City of Glendale. Maybe he'll know. But, odds are the houses are upper end and in a decent neighborhood.

Spa?????????!!!!!!!!!! Uggghhh. No, the other way around. Get a little play pool and forget the spa. You would be suprised how much you will like swimming when you have a pool. When I get another house it will either have no pool, or a big one. But, it is nice to have even a playpool. I drive home from work and purposely leave my air conditioner off in my truck so I can get home all sweaty and hot. Then, I just jump into my pool in my birthday suit!! That is the fun of having a pool!LOL!

You will love it here. It's a dry heat.:) My hubby misses the midwest and actually wants to move to Quincy, IL. I am praying against it. I have lived here all my life, but sadly, know very little about Phoenix. There are a few others on this forum that may be able to help you out there. If you do a search, someone recently asked about AZ....

Welcome and bring your sunscreen!!105 degrees today!

Janice

Hah! I'm sure the golfers would have a heart attack if I hopped in my pool stark naked.
The midwest has its nice features-spring and fall are great. Trees and green and flowers. Everything is very open compared to the block walls around so much in Arizona. Try to think positive if you end up there!
105 sounds just great to me! Yes, we need a playpool or something for that...
Beth

Hi Beth J,
Welcome to Arizona!!! I live in Avondale which is a little further west than where you will be. We bought a brand-new home out here on the west side after we realized our condo in Chandler (southeast side) was too small for us. The prices of houses on that side of town 3 years ago were too expensive for what you got, so we decided to head out west. We like it so far. The west valley is really growing rapidly with the new coyotes arena and soon the cardinals stadium which will bring lots of new business and entertainment out here.

There is alot to do in the valley. Verrrrry spread out. You can actually fit the whole state of Conn. in the Phoenix area!! I've lived in the valley for 11 years now and still haven't seen all of it. So do be prepared to drive alot.

The weather is good for the most part. I don't particularly care for the monsoon that rolls in in July. It brings some high dew points which makes 110 degrees very uncomfortable. But most love the monsoon and the humidity that comes with it...so I will say I am in the minority. There are lots and lots of great escapes from the heat within a 2 hour drive such as Sedona,Flagstaff, Prescott, and many others. Arizona offers such a wide varity of things to do and places to see, you'll love it!

I don't know where you are living now, but crime is a bit higher in the valley. I came from Colorado Springs, so this is quite a change from what I am used to. Not trying to frighten you, it's just a good idea to be aware.

Enjoy your new home here, and welcome!

:)

Thanks you guys for all your comments! I come from the Kansas City metro area which has the highest crime rate per capita in the nation believe it or not. So I am used to that. Just got to pick the right subdivision to live in!
We've already sold our house before we had a chance to even list it! and i"m going out to look at some promising Arizona homes.. I can't wait!
Beth

Boy, who likes the monsoon?? NOT ME! But, Beth, it will make you a little homesick for Kansas....:)

Janice

Janice,

Just curious---is your husband from Quincy Ill. I was born and raised in a VERY small town near there-Pittsfield, IL. We used to drive to Quincy to go to the mall and dentist etc. Quincy had everything out little town did not at the time. That was over 20 years ago. I now live in Chesterfield, MO (suburb of St Louis)and haven't been back to Quincy since then.

Janice I am glad to hear there is someone else out there who doesn't like the monsoon! Everyone thinks I'm crazy.:) I just don't enjoy the extra humidity at all. Granted, it's not as bad as back east or the midwest, but when it's 110-115 outside, any moisture is too much moisture!!

Sarah..
My hubby is from a town in Missouri called Shelbyville, population 157.:eek: His mother runs a business in Quincy and it is the "big city" for them (te-he).

Hubby just loves the country...deer hunting, turkey hunting....he is just a good ol' boy at heart. I think he wants to raise kids there. We have yet to have a serious conversation about moving, I just know one day it will be coming. I am in school right this minute, so for now, I am safe. I have lived here all my life. He would probably know of the town you grew up in!!

Why would native Arizonans enjoy the monsoon? It is so nasty. We love it here for the DRY weather. I don't like the wicked storms either. I get all phaklempt when I have to drive in a drizzle. Don't know how to do it!!:) (average rainfall in Quincy, IL is 38 in/yr)!!

Janice

Well Janice, get used to rain if you move here to the midwest. Its rained almost every day here since May 1. I am SOO depressed. Can't wait to get out to all the sunshine. I will NOT like monsoon season!
Beth

Hi Beth,

Welcome to Arizona! The Northwest side of town is booming right now! You will be close to all kinds of shopping and restaurants. It won't take long to get around town if you plan on living near the 101 loop. Interstate 17 though is the slowest which runs North/South. Because things are so spread out here, it can take a while if you have to drive to the East (Mesa, Tempe, Chandler area.) Most areas in Phoenix are nice but there are a few exceptions. Downtown Phoenix can be a bit scary (South Central) as can anything too far Southwest (like Maryvale area.) You'd probably be wise to stay clear of where Christown Mall used to be (19th Ave & Bethany Home Rd.) Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are nice but would cost you more to live there!

Phoenix has some of the best Mexican food around! The weather is too hot for my taste, but I guess it beats shoveling snow! Yes, you'll definitely appreciate having a swimming pool, for sure! :)

It's a sunny day in the neighborhood! :) :) :)

Pam

PS. Monsoons are nice because rain is so rare here (even though it's mostly a DUST STORM!) The lightening storms are beautiful to watch, IMO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.