Most sensible woman in fitness?

maddiesmum

Cathlete
Nia Shanks strikes me as possibly the most sensible, least neurotic, most down-to-earth and pragmatic individual working in the fitness industry (Cathe's present company excluded). Her philosophies regarding fitness are the most valuable and helpful to women. Her 10 Fitness and Health Commandments are in the link that follows. It's worth keeping forever as a reminder check list whenever an attitude adjustment is required! I need a few of these myself, but I'm not going to tell you which ones I'm working on!

http://www.niashanks.com/life-changing-mottoes/

Clare

I have to honest, I think it must be very challenging in a way to NOT become neurotic after working and living in that atmosphere. The 'industry' of fitness becomes less about the concept of fitness and health itself and more about diluted and/or trendy theories presented in catch phrases (sometimes with the best of intentions) plus seeming more about pure image and marketing.
I guess I am a cynic and you could even say, silly and naive as of course you have to SELL your stuff for people to actually use it. I just feel there is an appropriate and inappropriate vehicle of doing so. As much as I love fitness itself, I honestly have always thought the industry seems pretty gross to work in at times.

On a more direct note, I really, really like Nia. She is refreshingly sensible. I have not done her programs yet, although I am signed up to her email newsletters and such. I especially appreciate it when she talks about fear. Justine, I am not much of a podcast listening person, but you may have convinced me!! :)

Elsie, I totally agree with you :) It's all about $$ these day's :) Jenny Ford also strikes me as possibly the most sensible, least neurotic, most down-to-earth and pragmatic individual working in the fitness industry :) Now I need to check out Nia :) Not that I need more workout programs :p

I love Nia. If you email her with a question, she answers immediately. She seems to be real, down to earth and very personable. I printed, and gave a copy of Nia's mottoes, to a couple of co-workers. These ladies are always chasing the elusive "perfect." They loved it, and told me it gave them permission to relax. We will see what happens.

Last edited:
All right, you've finally got me interested in Nia. I don't spend a whole lot of time here, but I've seen other posts about her - just sort of skipped over them because she's just another trainer and I don't need more workouts. And I don't have much time to spend online. But I read those 10 mottoes, and they're spot-on. I've bookmarked her site and will peruse as I have time. Thanks, y'all!

Elsie, I totally agree with you :) It's all about $$ these day's :) Jenny Ford also strikes me as possibly the most sensible, least neurotic, most down-to-earth and pragmatic individual working in the fitness industry :) Now I need to check out Nia :) Not that I need more workout programs :p

Belinda:

I love your goals for 2016!!!!!

"Goal for Dec 2015 - Dec 2016 is to complete *200* workout dvd's from my own collection without buying or adding new ones"

I'm shopping my own DVD collection too for this next year. I've been shopping my closet already for the past two. You never know what you might find lurking there, still shrink-wrapped!

Good luck to both of us, and the members of your new check-in of this theme.

Clare

Belinda:

I love your goals for 2016!!!!!

"Goal for Dec 2015 - Dec 2016 is to complete *200* workout dvd's from my own collection without buying or adding new ones"

I'm shopping my own DVD collection too for this next year. I've been shopping my closet already for the past two. You never know what you might find lurking there, still shrink-wrapped!

Good luck to both of us, and the members of your new check-in of this theme.

Clare

Thanks Clare :D

Clare,

WOW, on shopping down your dvd collection. I think I will take me a few years to shop down my own DVD collection :oops: I really need to do this, I have way to many dvd's I have never used :( Good luck to you too. You are more than welcome to join us at the check in :D Everyone is welcome!!

Obviously I am late to this party, but I just want to echo what everybody has said. Nia is awesome. I love her no-nonsense sensibilities and honest approach. I also echo what others have said that she's amazing about responding to emails! I've really been enjoying her recent podcasts, and I'm amazed at the positive spin she's able to put on the trials she's been through as an individual.
Roz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.