morton's neuroma

fitdeb

Cathlete
Good Morning,

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with Morton's Neuroma (self diagnosed) and perhaps have some suggestions on inserts, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

I had a dx from a podiatrist in 2006. He tried various iterations of inserts, they only helped some. What helped the most was switching my brand of shoes. I now wear mostly Birkenstock, Keen's, and Stegman's clogs (for indoor shoes in the winter). I no longer use inserts and haven't since the first year of dx. I have to be careful with some Keen's as not all styles accommodate my bunions, but they usually provide enough support. House slippers never provided the needed support so I only wear in the evening when I'm winding down for bed.

Good luck - that Morton Neuroma pain can be an issue that limits activity!

Oh, forgot to add - I only wear shoes with no heel (or minimal lift) as that puts more pressure on the Neuroma area. I look for athletic shoes with zero heel lift too.

No more heels for me for years now!
Yes, I was warned off them in my first bout of Plantar fasciitis way back in the early 90's. I went to low heels, but not zero heel until the Morton Neuroma dx. Actually I went to negative heel (Earth shoes) for a couple of years after the Morton Neuroma dx).

Several years ago i developed Morton's neuroma from running and using an elliptical. My podiatrist gave me three cortisone injections which alleviated the pain. He also proscribed prescription orthotics. I still wear the orthotics and have them remade every so many years. I don’t wear heeled shoes or shoes without support.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with Morton's Neuroma (self diagnosed) and perhaps have some suggestions on inserts, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie
Good morning Debbie,

Ironically I came here for a different foot problem and noticed your post. I'm 56 and have been dealing with Morton's Neuroma since I was 25. They make inserts specifically for MN and are extremely helpful. It takes some getting used to a first but I found the ones in the specialty foot store were better than the $$ custom made orthotics. I never go barefoot otherwise it will flare up. I've had to get cortisol injections if it's been really painful but only a couple/few times all these years. Hope that helps.

I had this when I was in college. I had it removed via surgery. Downtime was minimal. I never had another problem. Just don't wear hard-soled shoes on a hard surface for too long. That is what caused mine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.