Morton's Neuroma shoes

gratefuldog

Cathlete
I had knee surgery 3 months ago. Since I can no longer do impact, I have been spining for my cardio. Now I have developed a lovely neuroma in my left foot.
HELP! None of my shoes feel comfortable! sneakers, boots, clogs etc.
Has anybody else ever had this condition? I had it years ago when i first started running. It went away on its own...or so I thought. I guess I started running strangely to compensate for the pain. All of my running shoes have a hole on the top of the big toe. I must have been lifting my toes to reduce the pain in the balls of my feet. thus screwing up my gait and my knee!:rolleyes:
Any hoo....too much info!:eek: I just need to find a comfortable shoe for both exercise and every day. think..wide toe box...
Any suggestions??? please oh please!
Thanks,
Carolyn

I've had holes in my past sneakers where my bunions are (or were since I had one removed). I've had to be super picky on comfortable shoes to accomodate feet problems and issues. My recommendations:

The "RYKA Women's K1094 Crosstraining Shoe" has a very roomy toebox. This was the first shoe I could get my foot into while recovering from bunion surgery (accomodated a bandage loosely tied) due to the roomy toebox. Size up half size from your normal size with Ryka. Before my surgery, I've worn this model for about 6 years for cross training including high impact step, treadmill jogging, elliptical and weight work. I only use them indoors.

For outdoor activities, such as hill climbing, walking, running, I use Asics Kayano's. Also roomy toebox and great arch support. These run true to size.

I have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot, too. I have had great success wearing Keens and Danskos for everyday shoes. Workout shoes--right now I'm wearing Ryka, but New Balance have been okay at times, too.

Good luck. Zappos is great for trying on lots of different sizes and styles. Free shipping both ways.

Wendy

I have it in my right foot. I went through a series of cortisone shots. I wear
a specially made orthotics. I wear them in my workout shoes religiously.
I wear Asics and wear a half a size bigger.
Hope that helps.

The orthotics where customers made at my district's office. They take the pressure off the nerve by straightening my hammer toes. They also have an
arch support. Well worth the price.

I think my neuroma is from a combination of things. I use to wear Ryka sneakers, I think the toe box was not wide enough for my toes, a lot of
high impact, and the elliptical put a lot of pressure on the ball of my foot.

When my neuroma was at it's worse I felt like I was standing on large marble.
I did a few things to relieve the pain but the best thing was seeing a podiatrist.

To relieve the pain :

1. I bought this gel toe separator in the foot area of a pharmacy store.
I would put it on and ice my foot at the same time.

2. I also wore Vibram five toe shoes around the house. The shoes separated my toes.

3. I avoided the elliptical and still do.

4. I changed shoe brands to Asics

It took time for the swelling of the nerve to go down.

The cortisone shots the podiatrist gave is what ultimately did the trick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.