More just stretching with the new science behind it

cocob1

Cathlete
As I get older I find I need to have more stretching but I don't mean after a cool down and a lengthening of the muscles and release of Lactic Acid. I don't have a physical fitness background and don't know what to call it ... but something to add on at the end or do a 40 to 60min on a recovery day. Posture, lengthen and strengthen the "facia" and posture correction stuff. At soon to be ... yikes .. 62 I need to add this stuff in. And nobody cues like Cathe. Nobody. I was struck with an autoimmune disease over night at age 39 and Cathe keeps me strong, limber and motivated to do my best! I mean it!!!

I LOVE this idea! cocob1, have you tried Stretch Max? Stretch max is one of my most used dvds. Unfortunately am not a big fan of yoga so the two yoga workouts have been gathering dust. I'd love an updated version of stretch max - it would go so well with the the new set of ICE workouts.

I bought Stretch Max when it first came out. It's excellent and Cathe's Yoga Max and Yogo Relax. I've done them tons and tons of times. I need something new and no one does at home Fitness DVD's like Cathe. And I find with my flare ups and my ... ah, hem, age, I need to add in more postural/stretch stuff.

As I get older I find I need to have more stretching but I don't mean after a cool down and a lengthening of the muscles and release of Lactic Acid. I don't have a physical fitness background and don't know what to call it ... but something to add on at the end or do a 40 to 60min on a recovery day. Posture, lengthen and strengthen the "facia" and posture correction stuff. At soon to be ... yikes .. 62 I need to add this stuff in. And nobody cues like Cathe. Nobody. I was struck with an autoimmune disease over night at age 39 and Cathe keeps me strong, limber and motivated to do my best! I mean it!!!

I know it's been months since you posted this, and if it's not too personal, can you share what your autoimmune disease is and what symptoms led to the diagnosis? Thank you. Just wondering if I have an undiagnosed condition.

I would buy this in a heartbeat. Fascia stretching or something similar to Donna Flagg's Lastics. A stretch workout that feels like a muscle/joint workout/PT - not something for relaxation (there are enough of those IMO.)

Also, something taking into account how I scrunch at the computer all day every day - I want upward movements and twisting movements to open me back up.

I realize I'm a bit late adding to this discussion - but I only just joined the forum.
still I also feel that such a workout would be really great. I've resorted to buying a few such DVD's from other instructiors(like the Lastics)but the video's are much too slow, repetitive or poorly cuued. Because of that I invariably don't do them as much as I feel I ought to in order to get the health benefits. I am sure that any such video done by Cathe, however, would be PERFECT!

Just found out I have facet arthritis in my lumbar spine ... :( I have to do only low/no impact cardio etc.
Something new from Cathe on stretching/body balance/posture would be great. I've worn out the stretch dvd's I have from Cathe. I have recently bought some other instructors and some have good stuff on them but I'm disappointed at the quality and the teaching. I always come back to Cathe. NO ONE cues or teaches as well as she does. NO ONE.

I agree that this is a great idea! I'm terrible when it comes to stretching and although I love the one Cathe does in the STS series a longer video would be wonderful! :)

Just found out I have facet arthritis in my lumbar spine ... :( I have to do only low/no impact cardio etc.
cocob1, as a fellow member of the recently diagnosed lumbar facet arthritis club, just wondering what other advice you've been given about workouts (apart from keeping it all low impact). I'm getting so frustrated with all the conflicting advice I've been given by various health care professionals!

It's been a nightmare! I'm getting a 2nd opinion this coming Wed from my Rheumatologist and a 3rd opinion Aug. 11th from a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Dr.
I have to travel next week for a week then home one week and then I'm gone visiting family for two weeks so I will make a minimal equipment workout while on the road.
The best person so far hasn't been the Rheumy or the PT person or the Physical Med & Rehab Dr but a very good Massage Therapist who specializes in deep tissue work. She has taught me so much! How to bend over to pick things up, which muscles to tighten for core work and a few really good exercises that are for people with herniated disks ( I have 3 ) .
She herself is an athlete so she knows how important it is to me to exercise. She's not condescending like the Medical Professional's have been to me. They see my age of 62 on the chart and treat me like I'm in my dotage!
I started the 90 day Cathe Xtrain/Low Impact rotation knowing I'm gone for a bit but I'll take some Cathe minimal equipment DVD's (some are downloads already) and the new Tracie Long Traing Core/Flexibility DVD and the Mark Lauren Mobility Rx DVD.
After August 11th I'll be back to a regular schedule with all my dumbells, stability balls, bar bell, step etc.
I'm extra careful picking up and putting away my weights (often I have to go slower than Cathe does so I don't accidentally bend and turn while carrying heavy dumbbells. That's been a huge challenge so far. I have to be really careful picking up and putting down weights.
The massage therapists had some herniated disks herself that's she's healed and although I have the facet stuff and she doesn't, I have incorporated her guidance. I never bend over at the waist to pick things up now. I pivot from the hip on one leg. One leg has the weight in front of me and the other leg is extended behind and/or I do a deep plie and then pick up things with my legs taking all the weight. I've also added extra hip opening and low back stretches on top of Cathe's stretches.
We are on a new journey ... again ... we will prevail ... with humility. :)
Happy 4th of July.

I'd love to see a dynamic stretching workout, one that promotes movement and fluid stretches, along with plyo moves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.