More Definition Less Bulk?

BIF

This is my first post, but I have been reading the forum for a while. I am a long time exerciser, but I discovered Cathe about 4 months ago. Since I have been doing Cathe's workouts I have noticed strength, muscle mass, and endurance gains.

My problem is in my arms I have a lot of big muscle without the definition that I am looking for. My coworker described my arms as being thick and dense and she is also a Catheite. I am very fortuate that I gain muscle very easily, but it is not the look that I want. My legs are very muscular and defined, but not bulky. I don't have to work hard to get them that way. (I know, I'm sorry. I am the opposite of most women, though I tend to accumulate fat around my gut and my bum is flat and wide, if that makes you feel better.) My 6 year old son told me he wouldn't marry me because I was nasty and had "MAN" muscles. OUCH!!

Someone PLEASE help. I don't know what I should do differently. I am 5' 8 1/2 and weigh 143. My body fat 19.5%. I have been alternating the gym styles and the pyramids. I usually do 30 minutes of cardio before the weights. I also do a day of straight cardio(Imax2, lowmax, kickmax or cardiokicks) and a day of boot camp, high step advanced or muscle endurance.

So what can I do to get rid of the bulk and get more definition?

Janet

Welcome to the forum!

"Bulk" can be due to several things: primarily excess fat over the muscle (to work on that, it takes cardio, a clean diet, and weight training---lower weights and higher reps, as Maximus stated); fluid retention (body builders do several things to get rid of water retention before a contest...none of which is good for you long-term, as they cause dehydration); genetics (not much you can do there! If you've ever seen Tony Little--selling his glider thing on TV--there is a man who has the genetics to have a bulkier looking body. Compare him to Frank Zane--a bodybuilder from the 70s, who is long and lean and could probably never look bulky).

I think what is confusing me is that 19% body fat for my age is considered "Lean". So do I need to considerable cut my body fat % to see definition? My husband said that taller people have more difficulty getting definition becausse they have longer muscles. Any thought on that? I have not been able to find any research on that theory.

What kind of rotation would be best for me? Should I continue using the gym style and pyramids, since they use heavy weights? I have so many questions. The more I try to figure this out the more confused I get!!!

I know this sounds crazy, but try adding Brian Kest Yoga 1,2,3 (trust me they are difficult and you will feel your muscles working!!!) and maybe only do Cathe's ME/PH workouts for awhile for your weight work.............higher rep and lighter weights....IMHO

Yoga is fantastic for stretching those muscles and getting that lean look - I have that same sort of problem and a combination of weights/power yoga/and gentle stretching pilates has really helped me tone my upper body..........

I have my mothers arms - - they tend to be a bit on the thicker side around the upper arm and shoulder...........its a battle I intend to win }( }( }( }(

Janet,

Sorry I could not give you any advice since I am quite new to this forum.:) But the rotation you mentioned here is very interesting. Could you give me the detail of you rotation?

My fat% is around 26%, a lot need to be burnedx( Currently I use PUB/PLB incorporated with running. It works well with me. I am close to the end of 4th week of my rotation. I would like to try yours. Thanks.

WantFit

I agree with the other ladies. Try a rotation that is more "endurance" and cardio. Try Muscle Endurance, Power Hour, Muscle Max. Gauntlet is an awesome circuit. I'd also "up" the cardio some.

While your bf% is withing extremely healthy range, often muscle do not "pop" until the bf% is lower.

So, clean diet, more cardio, and high reps/lower weights. Goal: burn fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.