Missing my youth

I love all of the inspiration here! To those of you with health or injury restrictions, my heart goes out to you. I've been there in the past (broken wrist), so I know it's not fun.

As for aging.... I am finding that the older I get, the more time and energy I have to put into my working out and running. I just turned 59 and I can honestly say that I've never been in better shape or stronger in my life. I think it's a combination of actually having more time these days to devote to my fitness, and having more motivation.

I am very blessed that I don't have any physical limitations, but I can tell you that earlier this year I faced the worst emotional loss of my life. My dear husband of 37 years passed away in February. It has been a devastating and tumultuous year. I've been faced with the worst at this point... so I plan to count my blessings and move forward. I figure if I can go through such a loss and come out the other end healthy, I owe it to myself to continue in that direction.

My life will never be the same, but with the love and support of my son and my close friends, I know I can do it. I dedicate each and every day of fitness to my beloved husband. He can't be here to see it, but I plan to move forward into my later years being the fittest and strongest I can possibly be!

I am very blessed that I don't have any physical limitations, but I can tell you that earlier this year I faced the worst emotional loss of my life. My dear husband of 37 years passed away in February. It has been a devastating and tumultuous year. I've been faced with the worst at this point... so I plan to count my blessings and move forward. I figure if I can go through such a loss and come out the other end healthy, I owe it to myself to continue in that direction.

My life will never be the same, but with the love and support of my son and my close friends, I know I can do it. I dedicate each and every day of fitness to my beloved husband. He can't be here to see it, but I plan to move forward into my later years being the fittest and strongest I can possibly be!
@JeanneMarie, I just wanted to express my sincere condolences on your loss. May your sweet husband RIP. Good for you for marching on!

I'm so glad this post has inspired others too. I've loved reading everything - all the different views and approaches. It's like Clare said - adapting a different mindset ... compromise! And compromise means not so much settling for less, but accepting and adapting to something different. For example, I may not be able to find a way to do my killer cardio anymore, but I know I still have plenty of cardio options that will keep me healthy and fit, and still have tons of fun.

JeanneMarie - I am so very sorry for your loss. You've been a strong voice here for a long time, and your post shows an even deeper strength - something a workout DVD can't provide.

JeanneMarie, Big hugs to you! I lost my husband to suicide two years ago, so I know what a traumatic experience losing a loved one can be. Your outlook and strength is evident! We're so blessed to have fitness as a way of life. My workouts, and especially our beloved Cathe, got me through a very difficult time. Kudos to us!!!!

I just wanted to chime in to say that everyone's inspiring posts could not have come at a better time for me. I will turn 50 in a few months, and I keep having this thought of waking up one day shortly after that as one of my many fluffy over-50 co-workers. Of course, in my head, I know they don't work out like I do, so it won't happen if I keep doing what I'm doing, but then I think, what if I can't keep doing what I'm doing? It comes down to what every here has said - compromise, finding what works for you in whatever your situation is at the time. I'll never be one to sit and do nothing, I love moving and exercise too much. If I have health issues later in life, I will find a way to keep doing SOMETHING. It's too important to me to ever stop completely.

@JeanneMarie and @cher54 Your attitude and determination to handle such loss with courage is really admirable.
That said, you both have solid experience which IMO is a healthy investment to many more years coming. No doubt many women around
envy your ability to face daily tasks, to mention the least! Thanks for sharing. Your post has given me a lot to think about, in a good positive way of course:):)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and sympathy. <3

Cher, I did not know you had lost your husband too. I am so very sorry. It's a special club you and I belong in now, one we both probably never expected to be in so young. The word "widow" stops me cold every single time I have to use it. Blessings and good thoughts to you. <3

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and sympathy. <3

Cher, I did not know you had lost your husband too. I am so very sorry. It's a special club you and I belong in now, one we both probably never expected to be in so young. The word "widow" stops me cold every single time I have to use it. Blessings and good thoughts to you. <3

Thank you for your kind words, JeanneMarie. Yes, the term "widow" definitely sounds very odd. ((((Hugs)))) to you, especially during the holiday season.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.