Missing mineral makeup... brand recommendations?

Rose11

Cathlete
A couple of months ago I stopped using Bare Escentuals because it was giving me blackheads and some acne and I went back to Clinique. I like the way I look with Clinique, but I have to spend tons of time applying and blending my makeup so it looks extremely natural when with BE I had my basic makeup done in a few minutes. Another thing that really bothered me about BE was the pricing. I paid about $25 for mineral veil and the amount was really small compared to Clinique's and Prescriptives' loose powders so that really bothered me. To get the amount of loose powder in Clinique I had to buy about 3 or 4 mineral veils x(. Most BE products are too expensive; when you compare the prices of high end makeup brands and the amount BE actually offers, BE comes out as more expensive than the most popular high end makeup brands.

I'm searching for alternative mineral makeup brands. I know that Philosophy has mineral loose powders, but they are in my opinion overpriced so I'm not even going to bother trying them. I saw the brand Everyday Minerals at www.everydayminerals.com and they have reasonable prices, but I'm really weirded out when I see that they are using the same names BE uses for their products. They have mineral veil, the foundation colors and numbers are exactly the same as BE, etc. It just seems strange. I wonder if anyone has tried these products. I would also like to know if anybody is using other mineral makeup brands besides BE and how are those brands in terms of quality, ease of application, natural looking, and price. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rose11! I use Shaklee's Minerelles makeup. This is the product blurb for their makeup:
"Beautiful, light-reflective color and protection from the enivironment's harmful effects. All Minerelles proudcts are talc-free, dermatologist-tested, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, not tested on animlas, and formulated not to clog pores. They also cotain Vital Repair+ complex so you can extend the benefits of your skin care regimen into your beauty reigmen."

I don't know price-wise how this compares, but here is a sample of how much some things cost: (these are member prices)
Blush, $14.40
Eye shadow, $14.40
lipstick, $14.40
Pressed Powder, $19.50
Foundation, $23.75 (which is really not a foundation, the liquid part evaporates, and leaves a fine powder on your face, it is really neat!)

Shaklee is having free membership for the month of July (with a minimum amount purchased), so if it is something you want to give a try you could, and like I've said in other posts, Shaklee carries a 100% satisfaction guarentee, so you can always get a refund if it does not work for you!

Here is a link to a page about Minerelles:
http://www.shaklee.net/robin_walker/prodPer

You could check out Glominerals. I haven't tried this but plan to. It is sold by a medi-spa here for about $28. You can search on the internet for more info and somewhere near you that carries this.

www.glominerals.com

I use Aromaleigh mineral cosmetics and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I switched to Aromaleigh after getting frustrated with Mineral Essence (another line of mineral makeups by the same people who make Bare Escentuals). Aromaleigh products are like heaven - so light and airy, and don't leave you looking shiny like some other mineral foundations do. They also cost quite a bit less than other mineral makeups because it is a small, privately-owned business. They do excellent work, their shipping is super-fast, and they have sample sizes of everything so you can try it out before you buy a whole jarful. Their products are all natural, and not tested on animals.

http://www.aromaleigh.com

Highly recommend! :)

Thank you all for the recommendations. Of all those, Aromaleigh has the best prices but they don't ship to my address x( .

I have to be careful with my search for mineral makeup. Apparently it's the newest business idea. In the last couple of months about 20 new mineral makeup companies started their business and they are doing anything to attract new customers.

I have very oily/acne prone skin STILL at almost 35 years of age and I love BE makeup. I have used it for maybe 3 years and that is the longest I have stuck with anything. I tried Aromaleigh and I love their colors(eyes, lips, cheeks) but I was surprised that I did not like their base. I tried several samples and had a lot of difficulty finding the right color and I did not like the flatness of it even though I'm oily. Also, even with oily skin the mineral veil lasts me a long time...you don't need to use a lot of it. I use Clinique skin care and I use the acne day shield as the last thing right before I put on my makeup. It is supposed to keep oil, dirt, makeup from getting into the pores and clogging them. Also, do you think it could be due to dirty brushes...those things are so hard to keep clean and bacteria free. Anyway, good luck. I think it is try until you find what works for you unfortunately.
Angela:7

No, I can't say I didn't clean my brushes well because I did and I used antibacterial soap to clean them. It was either the BE foundation, the mineral veil or both (I still use the eyeshadows, liner shadows, glimmers, and lip products and I've never had any problem with those). I've used loose powders ever since I started using makeup and I never had breakouts until I started using BE. I'm not the only one either. There are some people that have had reactions to BE products. It is definitely not for everybody.

I know. I think it's a good product if you don't have any reactions to it, but I also think it's a little bit overpriced at least the foundation and mineral veil are because comparing the amount of product you get with other brands it is very small.

I am always looking for a good foundation and I have wanted to try Bare Minerals, but the price has turned me off. As soon as other companies start competing, the price will come down and you can go back to it. Just continue to use your other foundation and before long you will see Bare Minerals prices come down. That is what I am waiting for.

Love,
Madonna

Either the prices will go down a bit or they will start offering more amount of the products at the same price. The day I noticed I was pretty much getting ripped off I was mad. I mean if 0.33oz of mineral veil cost about $25 and a container of Clinique's loose powder has about 1.2 oz at around $20 I'm basically paying $100 for the same amount of powder I get from Clinique at a lower price and to top it off my skin is reacting to the product!!! That was the day I needed to go back to my usual makeup brands (Clinique and Prescriptives), but I miss how fast I applied my mineral makeup so I'll keep on searching.

Have you tried these:

www.melangecosmetics.com

www.jlynnecosmetics.com

Melange is having a 20% off sale and they also have samples as does J. Lynne. I have lupus so I have to be VERY carful with my skin. I started out years & years ago with BE - when they even had pressed mineral powders. Then, they became "famous," and I was also put off by their prices.

I have tried Aromaleigh too, and they love my skin, but the colors seem to fade very quickly on me.

I was turned onto both Melange & J. Lynne by another woman with lupus. I have used both and prefer Melange for some things and J.Lynnne for others. Just my .02

Good Luck!

Shelly

I went to everyday minerals yesterday and they will send you the equivalent of their product(I'm guessing sample sizes) if you send in your empty comtainers of BE and they listed a couple other brands. It's worth a shot...I like to try befoe I buy. I'm going to send in my empty containers(I almost threw them away when I was cleaning this week). I love BE but if everyday minerals are comparable, they are WAY cheaper for more product.
Angela:7

I could never part with my BE! :) I love it!

I have skin that never breaks out. Even as a teen, I never had problem skin, YET the BE Mineral Veil did make me breakout overnight. I've retested it a few times. Each result was the same. Once I eliminated the MV, my skin was back to normal.

Maybe you should give BE another chance, but just leave out the MV?

>I went to everyday minerals yesterday and they will send you
>the equivalent of their product(I'm guessing sample sizes) if
>you send in your empty comtainers of BE and they listed a
>couple other brands. It's worth a shot...I like to try befoe
>I buy. I'm going to send in my empty containers(I almost
>threw them away when I was cleaning this week). I love BE but
>if everyday minerals are comparable, they are WAY cheaper for
>more product.
>Angela:7

BEWARE-a ton of people on the mineral make-up mania forum on Delphi are having problems with this company-it seems they will take your money and not send you your make-up! And if you request samples it can take a few months to get them, if at all! I received my samples, but they were way to orange for my coloring -and I tried the lightest ones!

Itlangeli - thank you for the links. I will check them out.

beachgerrrl - what do you use instead of the mineral veil? I would say that is the BE product I miss the most and yes it was the one I used the most.

Angela - you don't have anything to lose if you send the empty containers and no money. They might ask for a couple of bucks for shipping and handling though, but don't send more than that. I think quest4fitness gave you a great warning though. I read that there are tens of new mineral makeup companies being created every month so we have to be careful.

I think at the moment Aromaleigh is the most appealing brand to me so I'm going to contact them to see if they're planning to ship to my address in the future.

Thanks for the warnings guys....I guess for me I shouldn't try to change something I'm already happy with. Plus, I found a lady at the salon where I get my hair cut who actually sells BE. I'm not even sending those containers in. I don't want a company like that having my credit card number and such.

Rose - let me know what you think of Aromaleigh. Hopefully they will start shipping to your area...they ship quickly and I love being able to purchase samples before buying full size. I have several eye/cheek sample's from them and they last a long time. I bought two lipsticks and got a free glimmer that can be mixed into colors to give a sheer glimmer. Aromaleigh always include free samples in your order.
Angela

I used to use Bare Escentials, but it dried my skin really really bad. I now use Sheer Cover and I really like it. I have no idea what the difference is, but Sheer Cover doesn't dry me out like Bare Escentials, and I think Sheer Cover provides better coverage.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.