Mirror Image

Mar

Cathlete
Why do some mirrors make you look heavier and/or shorter. I have a mirror in my basement where I workout vertical 6ft. and I swear I look leaner and muscles in arms and legs more defined as opposed to the mirrors in my bathroom and living room which are horizontal and wide.

Is there any mirror that shows a tru image. This is probably a ridiculous question, but I thought I'd ask.

Mar:)

Hi Mar!

I saw a mirror guy on Oprah one time; he said they deliberately make mirrors with certain "appearance" factors, though he was specifically talking about department store/changing room mirrors. So, I don't know about the true image but I imagine they could if they wanted to, if they can manipulate mirrors to make customers look bigger/smaller in stores.

Sparrow

I always look skinny in the mirrors in The Gap. I like them. I want to take them home with me. I look like a whale in the mirrors at my house. For some reason, I love mirrors though. I have them all over my house. My therapist asked me if I was torturing myself (part of my ED is a completely distorted self-image):p

Lights have a lot to do with this as well. Most bathrooms have these bright white overhead lights, were as your basement might have a soft white and not directly over the mirror. Play around put a light right up against your mirror like it is in your bath room and see if you can still say it makes you look better. But lightening for the most part is what really makes you look good or bad.

Take the discusson of Cathe videos that was in ask Cathe a few months ago. For those who missed it I'll summerize it quickly, one of the questions asked was Cathe recovering from having a child and she didn't look so buff during one of the videos. The reply was the lightening.

But this happens to all of us all day long, in certain lights we look really good in others, we look not so good, which is way a lot of times you look at your friend and think she's changed her hair or must have found a really good make-up as she's looking really good today, and then you go somewhere else and her make up seems a little off. Also in certain lights people will catch your eye more then others, and that's usually because the light complements everyone.

Now if we could just fix it so that we had nice light everywhere we went, then we'd all look good no matter where we went. ;-)

Kit

I have a love hate relationship with mirrors as I am sure many do. I look at them to see how I look because I really want to know but some are not so flattering. I have thought I was at an all time low bodyfat level and had really worked hard to get there and saw myself in a mirror at a store and though wow I look kind of chubby and loose as a better word for it. At this time I had to really re think where my body image was going. It can not be a good thing. Knowledge of your measurements and bodyfat levels may be the best way to tell over store mirrors.
Diane Sue

http://wd.1ww.us

Good grief, Diane Sue! If you think you're looking "chubby and loose" there's not hope at all for the rest of us!;)

I wonder why they don't use those mirrors in the bathing suit stores! Actually, I'm glad they don't - that's ONE place I want a true representation of how I look!

Lighting is a very important factor in how you look in a mirror. In my workout mirror, I often look more defined and leaner, because the lighting is from a lamp over in the corner (indirect lighting is the way to go!). In my bathroom mirror, more cellulite shows, and I don't look as lean, because the light comes from a bright overhead light. (peach-tinted lighting, or candlelight is the most flattering!).

I think it's interesting that mirrors don't really reflect how we look to others. There is a special mirror in a small physics display at the U. of Wisconsin-Madison that shows you the way you look to others (rather than "flipped" right-to-left). It really does change how you look.

Wouldn't you think that stores would want to put the most flattering mirrors and lighting in their dressing rooms to encourage you to buy? I was in the local Penney's once, and the lighting in those dressing rooms (and maybe also the small space so you are too close to the mirror) was aweful! But, as Donna suggests, that might be fore the better.

Shelley I am talking about the store mirrors. They are not a good meassurement of where you are at. My BF has went the gamut trying to find out what it is through different measures. I think the mirror is the best measure. I can tell how cut I am with a mirror. No it does not give me a bodyfat % to give others but I know what I look like. Scales are also not a reliable device. And yes I do feel intimidated by what society has set up for measurements etc. and have to stop and regroup and say that is rediculous.
Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

Mirrors in stores (i think) make you look smaller then what you are.Its a wonderful way to sell lots of clothes.
But I have a mirror in my room and I call it the fat mirror, if it shows my true image, I shouldn't be going out in public wearing the things I wear.Then when I come to work, the mirrors in the bathrooms here are awesome, makes me want to hang out in the bathroom all day.
Lori:)

Penneys was awful for me this weekend. Then I went to Marshall's and left feeling pretty good about the way I looked. I'm glad I shopped in that order, LOL! :D

There is a mirror in BF's daughter's room (in my house) that I *LOVE*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p This is the most flattering mirror there ever was & it is just a little cheapie that we bought in a little craft shop somewhere. BF teases me that it is warped ;)

Just a wee science lecture coming up.

It's a lens effect. If you curve the mirror just slightly outward, it makes you look fatter (imagine yourself reflected in the side of a car). If you curve the other way, it makes you look taller and longer. Extreme versions of this are the funhouse mirrors. This makes sense if you think about the way light hits the curved surface. But even if you don't want to think about that, this is how the difference in mirrors "works".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.