Minimal weight gain ok?

Winter

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am currently 16 weeks. My doctor wants me to count calories and keep them to 1800 a day as to gain the least amount of weight due to a prior back surgery. So far I have gained 3-4 lbs without counting calories. I think if do keep my calories to 1800 I won't gain any weight. The doctor said it was ok as long as the baby is growing? I totally trust him but it seems weird that my weight would stay the same and the baby getting bigger.

Anybody know how that works? It seems impossible??

Thanks,
Winter

It'll take off the further along you get. At this point, your baby isn't gaining weight at a rate that would significantly show on you. That won't happen until the end.

With both of my pregs, I put the most weight on in the last trimester. And with both pregs (I'm 37.5 weeks now with my second), I've gained on the low end of the scale. 27lbs with this one, 25 with my first.

If the baby's growing and your doc is not concerend, sit back and enjoy that you're not packing them on! The less you put on (staying healthy, of course) the less you'll have to take off afterwards!

1800 calories doesn't sound like enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy; especially if you are physically active. Are you seing an ob/gyn? Were you overweight prior to pregnancy? As far as I can remember 25-35lbs is the recommended weight gain (25lbs for overweight/35lbs for underweight).

With my last pregnancy I ate low calorie and low-fat and lost 20lbs. during my pregnancy. My baby was 7 lbs. 11 ozs. and completely healthy. I ate a lot of steamed vegetables, high-fiber foods, etc.
Kendra
mom to 7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.