Midsection Myth??

Juliebeth

Cathlete
Hey folks,

I would sure like to hear your opinions on this one. On page 77 of the December issue of OXYGEN magazine, it says:

"5 midsection myths debunked:

#2. Suck in your stomach. Holding in your stomach (when performing ab exercises) actually prevents a complete contraction."

Do you agree, disagree, and how have you achieved the best results? Personally, I always suck it in and down during the concentric portion, breathing out, and relax just a tad while inhaling during the eccentric portion. Am I wrong? It also says not to work abs everyday, but I have done that, too, but I don't usually use weighted resistance on consecutive days.

Thanks for any opinions/ideas...

Julie

I have no idea about the article, but it seems that I do my abs totally opposite of you. With the downward movement, I inhale and pull my abs in as tight as possible. On the upward movement, I exhale and relax maybe a tad, but not much at all. I was taught many years ago, could have been taught wrong, that the flatter you gets those abs when you inhale, the flatter your abs will be. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that I have always had flat abs. Even now that I'm about 10 pounds overweight, they are still flat. They are not pretty as I have a layer of fat over them and stretch marks around my belly button, but I definitely do not have a tummy pooch like a lot of women complain about. And I've had 2 C-sections. I do not work my abs every day, probably 3-4 times per week.

I think I do them the same way as Kelley. Also, I push my obliques down as in trying to make my waist look smaller. In fact, I think of squeezing everything together like trying to make everything more compact. I don't just push my navel toward the back, because my waist feels wide when I do that without squeezing the obliques too. Instead of opening my rib cage to suck in my stomach, I think of closing it. But, that is just me. I don't know if that is the correct way or not.

A while ago I received an article, from Cristian Finn, talking about this very same issue. Unfortunately, I don't remember and can't find the link. You have to be a member to search trough old articles, I think. Anyway, the website is www.thefactsaboutfitness.com .

When I do abs the only thing I focus on is contracting the muscles, & keeping them contracted during the entire workout. I'd never really thought about sucking in my stomach during my regular ab routine, although when I take pilates that's one of the things they make you do--the instructor walks around with this pole & pokes you in the stomach if it's sticking out too far. :eek:

Oh boy Laura~She'd be poking at mine then even though I am TRYING to suck it in!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Ok, now that I'm a certified Pilates instructor I understand why they want you to not let your ab muscles "pooch" out when doing the exercises. If your rectus abdominis is pooching then your are not engaging the transverse abdominis or the deep muscle of the abs. In pilates, working the superficial muscles of the abs really does nothing for core stability and overall strength. I was also taught that if you work your superficial muscles only and repeatedly, then your muscle will start to hypertrophy and essentially get bigger as a result. Essentially I was taught that if you want your abs to get bigger and stick out like a bicep, then you need to work the superficial muscles a lot. Of course many of us do not want our abs to stick out so that would definitely be counterproductive to the ultimate goal.

CArolyn

Well, thanks all for the info and replies.

It seems the magazine doesn't quite know which way to go, because I re-read the previous page where it says to "...keep your abs pulled in tight for the entire range of motion."

Duh on me....:+

Julie

I teach Pilates and I can't imagine poking anyone with anything! That's embarassing! I'm not into embarassing my students!!!
Just Do It! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.