Mid October Pregnancy Update!

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Wow, I can't believe its already been two weeks since the last update.

Last Tuesday I went for my monthly obgyn visit and I gained two pounds for the month. I also tested negative for my gestational diabetes test
happy.gif
! I was given a routine strep test but the results are still not back yet.

My hip finally felt better about 9 days ago. I was starting to wonder if it would be better in time for the road trip and then one day it suddenly starting to heal up. I was very happy.

This week I started to show even more. I am now leaning towards being the proud owner of a Big Buddha belly vs a little pooch. Another noticeable change is that I frequently have days where I am completely full of energy and then days where I can barely lift a leg. My sodium retention was pretty high a week and a half ago too. When I pressed my finger into my lower shin, my finger print left quite an indentation for a while.

Food wise, I'm trying to eat healthier now. The trips to McDonalds and quick fix pizza runs have slowed down. However, don't be fooled, the key word is SLOWED DOWN, not eliminated. I still really enjoy these "bad" foods when I eat them. I'm increasing my vegetable intake and even enjoying chicken now and then. My latest healthy kick seems to be tuna fish(even though its higher in sodium......HMMMM, did I just figure out the reason behind my water retention?) My sweet tooth kick still calls for Devil Dogs(soon it will be the trifle version, yummy)and ice cream.

Workout wise, aside from still teaching a full schedule of classes on 4 a four inch step height, I am also lifting a little more consistently now with moderate weight. For the most part I'm still able to do high impact moves without any problems but I find that I also have some days where I just don't have it in me. Those days I just listen to my body and modify.

My maternity fitness tops arrived from Dangerboy and really look nice. They are 3 sleeveless tops cut in a traditional maternity pattern for the belly area but are specially designed for the ease and comfort of working out. I had a lot of fun wearing them on the road trip this past weekend. I also went out to buy new fitness pants since mine are very snug lately. I find that I'm enjoying the comfort of a size large. Nothing is overly restrictive with this size. By the way, we will have some pictures of the road trip posted up soon if you are curious to know what the Dangerboy maternity tops look like.

I have not had a real bout with allergies in a while(knock on wood). One thing I am noticing is that my abdominal wall is stretching a lot. My lower belly area has been feeling unusually crampy lately. This is more of a muscle and ligament stretch feeling vs. a digestive type cramping. I invested in one of those belly band supporters for the back and abdomen. It should arrive any day now.

As you know I spent the last few days with the VF'ers during the road trip. Having them around put me on such a high that I think I had the best workouts of my entire pregnancy during these last few days(thanks guys).

Well, thats all for now. I'll write again in a couple of weeks!

Glad That Things Are Still Going Well

I used to sit around and make "impressions" in my legs all day long. I got such a kick out of it. At the time I was carrying Twins, so I could pretty much make and indentation anywhere on my body.

The baby will be here before you know it. I can't wait.

Great update... On the tuna kick however...

Hi Cathe,

I normally just lurk in the pregnancy forum, since
I have a 10 month old daughter.

I enjoy your updates. However, I had to say something about the tuna. I've read in a lot of sources that tuna can have trace amounts of mercury in it. It is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women.

As to McD junk foods, I don't think there's been anything specifically said about that. Thank goodness !

No Mercury in Canned Tuna

I just read an article in Fitness Magazine that said no levels of mercury have been found in canned tuna--but Ahi Tuna is definitely a risk. I'm bummed because that's the only fish I like.
sad.gif

Cathe: I'm happy to hear that you're doing so well! I'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures of you showing off your new belly!

That's interesting... I wonder why

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-99 AT 03:15PM (EST)</font></center>

it's different for canned/fresh tuna? Do you think it matters where the fish is caught? What I heard is that tuna absorbs more mercury from its environment relative to other fish.

I tend to err towards the side of caution when it comes to risky foods (especially during pregnancy when the fetus is most vulnerable to toxins in the mother's diet). I still breastfeed my 10 month old, and I haven't had any tuna since I heard about the mercury contamination.

You looked cute!

Glad to hear your hip is feeling better. I logged in on the Cathe cam for the VF trip. You looked really cute and energetic in your maternity tops. I liked them!

I could tell that you are showing and you look like a healthy pregnant woman.I have been anxious to see how you look. I just got an issue of Shape Pregnancy magazine and the models look like waifs with basketballs under their shirts. It was very discouraging.

Its very motivating to see and hear that you can keep up your exercise schedule and modify when you feel the need. I have cut back somewhat but try to swim or walk a couple times a week.

Pregnancy update/Tuna and sodium

Cathe,

You probably already know this but here goes.
If you rinse tuna prior to eating it you can eliminate up to 75% of the sodium. Use the lid to remove as much of the "broth" as possible refill with water and wait a few seconds. remove the water and repeat with another water rinse. I can really taste a difference when I do this as opposed to when I don't.

Lannette

Thanks so much...

for the continued updates, Cathe. I didn't have the opportunity to log in to see the trip this past weekend which I was very sad about; but I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of you and everyone else.

I'm glad to hear that your hip is better and that overall you are feeling pretty good. I remember that stretched feeling in my abdomen especially with my second child. She was larger than my first and I can remember thinking "there is no more room for this baby anywhere!" It's funny because she is 10 years old now and I can hardly remember her at the baby stage. Time flies!

At any rate, the baby will be here before you know it and you'll begin a whole new and exciting part of the journey of motherhood. Take care.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.