Medical Transcription

DaisyAnn

Cathlete
Just wondering if there are any medical transcriptionist out there? A few questions if you don't mind......
Do you work from home? How long have you been working and is it possible to make a good living? (if you don't mind me asking) Most schools say you can earn 40K plus..... any experiences?

Thanks for any feedback :)

Ann

Hi,
My SIL is a transcriptionist and the starting pay for her was $36K with full benefits, 401K, and bonus. She works in the office, but there are places that will let you work from home. Hours are M-TH 6:30-5:00 with 30 min lunch- Friday is off. HTH

My SIL is also in medical transcription! She works at home with a company and has been for 10 yrs or so. They supplied her with everything she needs. She can work whenever she wants and i beleive she gets paid by the letter or word? Ive never asked her how much she makes but im sure its around 40K. I remember her saying that she started out in the doctors office then went to this work at home company(can't remember the namex()

I was going to go for the medical transcription certification,but my student advisor informed me not to because there is a voice system that is taking the place of transcriptionist. My SIL confirmed that as well. Although im sure it will take a while for this to happen(?) I just completed a certification for medical billing and codeing and been looking for a job for four months now. Lots of competion out there!Im actually looking into doing an intership now to get my foot in the door somewhere!

sorry for rambling on,lol

Good luck,HTH's:)

Amelia what did you think of the billing and codeing certification? How much did it cost and where did you go for it? It seems in California that there is always a need for that job. I do dental billing and coding and am thinking of expanding to the medical feild. Instead of an intern have you thought of being a receptionist for a medical office to get your foot in the door? I also work from home but just so anyone who is wondering what that is like it can get pretty lonely. It really isn't all its cracked up to be. My only plus is really being able to work in my workout clothes.

Janie123,working in your workout clothes sounds like my kind of job;-)! About the medical certification....it took me 18months but i was a part time student. full time student can do it in 9mths, and he classes were fairly easy. I went to a local technical college for it and the hope grant paid for most of my expenses. I believe it was around 3500 for the entire certification. The only thing that i had to pay for was a technical fee every three months. (and of course the one time application fee,student ID fee)

I was told when first going into the certification that this job was in demand, but i soon found out that nobody wants to hire anyone without any previous experience:-(. Ive sent out countless resumes with my objective being front/office and medical billing...basicly anything,LOL! No response:-( so i figured my best bet would be an intership?

How long have you been doing dental billing?

Hi Anelia, I've been doing this for 5 years. I actually a few weeks ago posted the question to everyone "Do you like your job?"

Working from home is only great because of the flexibility and it allows me to always be there for the kids. However working from home, is extremely boring and lonely. No co-workers to talk to about your weekend or to go on an occassional lunch with. Dental billing is I find, not as lucritive a job as being a dental assistant, but I can't stand sucking up other people's spit and seeing all that blood. I just don't have the stomach for it. There are more opportunities for dental billers who are also registered dental assistants. There is also no certification for Dental billing so it is primarily self teach, and keeping up to date on current CDT coding.

That medical certification is a lot longer and more expensive than I thought. I'm still toying with wanting to go into law as a paralegal, but I was a little scared off by what the paralegals on this forum had to say about the work. I'm a little OCD type A multitasker who doesn't mind administrative challenge but I do feel bad sometimes since at 33 I don't feel like I'm in a job that I love or I feel any sort of acomplishment.

But hey, good for you on graduating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find something. I'd go and apply at the local hospitals. Just pop into their human resources department. If anything they'll keep your application on file you are certified after all. :)

I WAS going to do this. I completed a course about 10 years ago. It was very interesting. I hoped to work from home also but on completion no one did want to hire without experience or atleast to be trained by them in their office. It did help me get a job as a medical secretary though (patient care coordinator was the title). I handled insurance etc. And of course that wasn't at home either. My mom knew a woman who had done it for YEARS and was doing very well with it but she also said it isn't the best field to get into now that they have little computerized transcribers that can do about the same thing. She was going to transition into something else as well but I can't remember what.

I've been an MT for about 12 years and worked most of that time at home. I work at a hospital now as an MT. I had the chance to work from home but chose to work there because I missed the social aspect...plus my son is 18 now. There are a lot of advantages to working at home and I loved those aspects, but I did miss having coworkers! Though now, with gas prices being what they are, I actually wouldn't mind a mix of both...working at home and at the office...I'm trying to talk my boss into it! :) You can make some good money, but you need to put the lines in (since most places pay by the line). I currently make about $35K. The hospital I work at pays 11 cents a line, which is pretty much top of the line. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.