Medical advice concerning heart

aycaramba

Hi there! I found out during my pap smear test that I had a large fibroid and that it would need to be remove under general anesthesia. since finding out I will need surgery, I've been experiencing what I think is anxiety, panic attacks, with tingling sensation most part of my body, occasional tightness in the chest area and constant heart beat sound in my ears. Thursday went to urgent care, they drained my ear and sent me home. Friday went to E.R, put me EkG and chest xray, everything looked good, except for a low pulse rate. I have been experiencing this feeling for 8 days now. Someone told me that the heart beat sound in my ears can be a sigh of a blockage. Now i'm freaking out about having surgery and going under because I can potentially have a blockage. My question, is it safe to go under if you have an unknown blockage? I a'm scheduled for a stress test in 3 weeks, I'm wondering if I should re-schedule my surgery until after my stress test? Please advice...Thank you!

Aycaramba:

The episodes you're describing sound frightening :( IMHO contacting your surgeon's office as soon as possible to discuss your concerns might be a good start?

I wish you the best of luck,

Stephanie

Aycaramba, it sounds like a stress reaction. I recently went through a highly stressful period which I am just starting to recover from. At the time I would lie awake all night with the sound of my heartbeat in my ears. In my case my blood pressure and pulse rate were elevated. I also had a period of high stress when I was younger where my chest felt tight and painful and I thought I was having a heart attack. I wasn't, it was just a reaction to the stress.

Have you tried any kind of calming techniques such as meditation or mindfulness activities like doing simple puzzles (crosswords, word find or sudoku) or colouring in? You could also try calming herbal teas like chamomile. If you try these and the symptoms are reduced then it is most likely a stress reaction.

I think a good course of action would be to write down what fears and anxieties you are feeling regarding the surgery and see if you can find out more information to help alleviate them. As Stephanie said contacting the surgeon's office would be a good start.

Also, please remember that this stressful situation will not last forever. Life is full of ups and downs. I like to think of life as a journey where I am walking along a path and at certain times there will be bad weather, strong winds and rain pushing me back and slowing me down but after every storm there will be sunshine and rainbows. In the bad times I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other until the bad weather passes and what keeps me going is the knowledge that sooner or later it will pass.

Good luck.

Simonne

I find that when I'm having a stressful/fearful reaction to a looming event, that educating myself on every aspect helps calm me. Although all aspects of life have risks, once we know the facts, risks and benefits we can proceed with more peace. Best wishes for a healthy outcome ...

I find that when I'm having a stressful/fearful reaction to a looming event, that educating myself on every aspect helps calm me. Although all aspects of life have risks, once we know the facts, risks and benefits we can proceed with more peace. Best wishes for a healthy outcome ...
Thank you!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.