MBT Shoes - Just Wearing Them Works You Out....Anyone E...

ReenaPP

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

Anyone ever heard of MBT shoes? It is a shoe that supposedly improves posture, works your leg and buttock muscles and reduces stress on joints. It says it is excellent for folks who stand all day long....My mother-in-law is such a person and she is interested, but the cost is hefty ~$275/pr, so if anyone can provide feedback, either positive or negative, I would be really appreciative!
I am also including a link to their website, just in case you haven't heard of them, but this post has peaked your curiosity.

http://www.swissmasaius.com/Benefits.aspx

Reena :)

I bought a pair over a year ago. Did my research, even tried them on at a store. I ended up purchasing them from zappos.com, I had a credit but they were also way cheaper than $275. Okay so here is why I bought them. I started having foot problems in 2003 after training for a marathon. I was running a lot. No, I never made the marathon, just couldn't get past running the 12 mile point. For some reason I would get this knumbing sensation in my toes on my right foot, so I saw a podiatrist who recommended all sorts of different insoles, custom, and whatnot. First I was told I had Plantar Fisiatis and then it was a neuroma. The two different doc's I saw said it could be an alignment thing but no one ever gave me a difinitive answer. Any how, I was pretty desprate for some sort of relief, so I bought the shoes hoping it would help witj my alignment, and posture. Well, they did and they didn't. I can definitely feel my muscles (core) and hamstrings working when I wear them but I can't for the life of me wear them all day. They run kinda narrow and there isn't much room in the toe box area and my feet are pretty narrow to begin with. If you are between sizes, I measure at a 6.5 but usually buy a 7 you also might have trouble. Buy them to big and them come off at the heel. Buy them to small and it is to tight in the front toe box area. If you really want to try them buy them from zappos.com. Prices are good and you get free next day shipping. As long as you don't go running through the woods in the mud they also have a great return policy. Overall I would rather spend the money on STS or on some new lululemon outfits. Just my opinion. I don't doubt that they work miracles for some people I just wasn't one of those people. Hope this helps.

I got a pair about 8 months ago and use them for all my walks and hikes. I love them! To me it does not feel like I am working much harder on my walks, but because they are heavier and require more muscular effort I think I actually am getting more of a workout. I think most people who are used to Cathe will not find that they "feel" like more of a workout. The thing that impressed me was they were comfortable the first time I wore them, which I was not anticipating, it is not hard to get used to walking in them, and they are EXTREMELY well-made, they still look close to new and feel very sturdy and solid after many many miles on them. I would recommend them!

RE: MBT Shoes - Just Wearing Them Works You Out....Anyo...

I bought a pair when I was desperate to fix a hip pain I was having. I didn't wear them all the time, but I'd wear them on the weekends (they have to be just about the ugliest shoes around IMO). Now I don't wear them very often unless I feel a bit of the hip twinge. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to wear them all day long multiple days per week. I think that would get old. I would definitely encourage her to either try them at a shoestore first, or buy from zappos so she can return them if necessary. I think there are probably a lot of options for good shoes for people who stand all day.

-Beth

thanks everyone, this is very helpful...overall, it seems the consensus is that the shoes are okay, but saying they are miracle shoes is a stretch and may not suit my mom-in-law's purpose to wear all day to help her leg and foot pain....weekend use for hiking and walking is probably the best use for them.....Ordering from Zappos to get the cheaper price and the ability to return is a good tip.... thanks again - Have a great Friday and a relaxing weekend :)

I have the Earth athletic shoes and really find them comfortable to wear all day. They aren't the most attractive things but if we are going out for a long day of walking (like going to a musuem, etc.) I wear them and they are very comfortable.

That might be another option to try.

Ditto to everyone else who said that one doesn't buy the shoes because they look good, cause they really don't.

For me to wear shoes both that ugly and that expensive, there would have to be a guarantee that I'd drop five pounds immediately, each time I wore them!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.