Martial Arts - anyone here do this?

C

candice

Hi,
I'm toying with the idea of taking up a martial arts class. I've done Cathe's cardio kicks (and CTX kickbox) several times, and Powerstrike Millenium once. I really like these workouts. The problem is that I have no one to help me with my form. I can't tell if I'm doing it all wrong, or on the right track. I'd really like some instruction.

Also, I love the idea of getting some extra cardio (I'd take an evening class maybe 2x per week) and I love the idea of doing cardio that tones my abs. I don't know if I should be looking into a kickboxing class or a martial arts class. I'm thinking martial arts might be what I'm looking for because I could actually earn belts(read: tangible accomplishments) and feel like I could kick some butt if anyone ever tried to mess with me or my kids!

Suggestions or experiences, anyone?
thanks,
Candice :)

I'm interested to see what people's responses are...
I am interested in taking up Krav Maga or maybe Judo, something
where you really kick some butt!!

Hello Candice,
Im a first dan (blackbelt) in Tang Soo Do. A korean form of martial art. I also trained in American Kickboxing (NOT cardio kickboxing, this was the real deal) for 2 years. Both are good workouts and you learn how to defend yourself with either, though personally I prefer karate. Theres alot of respect that goes into a traditional martial art, which is one of the reasons I prefer it to k.boxing. Let me know what you decide, and good luck!
AndreaW

Hi Candice,

I practiced Tang Soo Do for about 2 yrs but gave it up just over a year and a half ago. I absolutely LOVED IT! It is a Korean martial art, most similar to Tae Kwon Do but not as competitive as TKD. It is practiced more as an art than a sport.

I made my way up to my brown belt and eventually lost the motivation to keep going. There were things in my life which didn't allow me the time I needed to make the drive to the Dojang every night and it was becoming more of a burden than anything else. However, I learned so much during those 2 years and the idea of going back has not left my mind since. Perhaps someday I'll get that blackbelt. It's not just about the physical aspect but mental strength as well. Integrity, concentration, perserverance, respect, honor, discipline. It's a great way to get your mind in tune with your body, be able to protect yourself, learn self control. Ok, I could go on. :)

Martial arts are physically demanding and may be just what you are looking for. I am so proud of my great kicks (especially my roundhouse and side) and love to practice them while doing kickbox videos. I was in poor shape prior to joining the Dojang but I got better fast. In fact, I began working out outside of class to improve my performance in class. It got me moving, and I haven't stopped exercising regularly since - I've since been working out with Cathe and that's done even more for me.

Make no mistake, it takes patience and perserverance to achieve the blackbelt rank and certainly doesn't happen overnight but I believe it would be more than worth it if you really truly want it. Go for it!

Well would you look at that! I was posting just as you were Andrea and you are a TSD blackbelt! Congratulations. ;-)

Thanks for the quick responses! Now you both have me interested in TSD. A couple more questions for you: Will I get a good Cathe-like intense cardio workout and will I feel it in my abs? Also, is it the type of thing I could do 2 nights a week to start, or is it a bigger committment than that? And if you don't mind, how much did you pay for your class? Wow. Brown and Blackbelts. You should be very proud of yourselves!

How would Krav Maga be different? I've read a bit about this one too.

thanks so much,
Candice

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-02 AT 02:00PM (Est)[/font][p]I'd be much prouder if I actually made it to that blackbelt. Anyway, in my experience it was not always an intense cardiovascular workout. Drills are good for that, but there was much more than that in each class. Some days were aimed toward conditioning and some for learning new moves (i.e. watching demonstrations and trying them repeatedly). I wouldn't consider it a consistent cariovascular workout... we did lots of pushups and crunches though. Like I said, I had to put in my own workout time outside of class and then I saw some improvements. I paid about $85 a month for my classes.

ps - this is NOT to say it wasn't hard, there were times I though I was going to drop. ;-) Just that you can't look for a high intensity cardio workout every time.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-02 AT 03:14PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Candice.

I'm in martial arts as well. I've been in it now for four months. I just adore it. I cannot tell you what it is about it but it is really addictive and satisfying.

My style is Biekoku Shindo-Kan or the original style of Okinawan Karate. I’m just one step up from white belt right now, but soon to test again.

Talk about fitness endurance and strength training. It’s different and much more challenging than you’re used to. I have really tightened up and shrank considerably since I’ve started. It helps that the class that I take for the time burns about 1,300 calories a pop. But, I work my butt off and almost to exhaustion. I actually hit it twice.

I actually had to give up strength training for awhile in order to build balanced strength over all my muscle groups. I could never lift over 12 pounds on each shoulder with an overhead press. I’m now up to 20 pounds and I’ve got Cathe shoulders. I’m so proud of myself. I do weight training every once in awhile just to see where I’m at.

I would highly recommend it. It’s physically challenging and really does something for the emotional self, just knowing that you can take care of yourself if need be.

I love it!

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

You have no idea. Do IMAX? Kick it up a notch or so. I got to the point in order to get my abs sore, I had to work them hard for three days and then maybe, I'd feel some soreness. Not anymore. I've had my abs so sore the next day that if I hollered at the kiddies for dinner it hurt. That was AWESOME!

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-02 AT 06:17PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Candice - I've been practicing Tae Kwon Do (Korean martial art) for 2 years now, and have my brown belt. I'm testing in June for a red belt. Anyway, I'm the opposite of you, I started using Cathe tapes to increase my strength and performance in my martial arts classes since I was getting frustrated with my lack of flexibility and strength and was starting to fear the conditioning part of the black belt test - even though it is at least 2 years away! I'm 3 months into Cathe cardio and strength workouts and have already noticed a difference. When I was a white belt my ever honest sister told me that after about 2 months of Tae Kwon Do I 'cut my butt size in half', it is a very effective workout, but I need Cathe to round it out. I also supplement it with the studio's cardio kickboxing class. A good thing about martial arts is the discipline - the non-optional pushups and situps, and these horrible conditioning things called burpees, leap frogging (try that when you're nearing 30). I floored my sister a month ago by doing the pushup segment on Cathe's Power Hour the first time I tried it, no knees. That is 100% thanks to Tae Kwon Do. And believe me, if I hadn't had a black belt instructor hovering over me in the beginning NO WAY would I do (or could I have done)a pushup.
Learning how to defend yourself is a powerful thing, and it makes you mentally stronger as well. I've had to push myself in so many ways these last 2 years that I would never have if it weren't for my wonderful teachers. I'm with Keta, I don't know what it is about martial arts, sometimes it is miserable and painful, I'm always bruised from something,all my friends think I'm crazy and it conflicts with ALL of my comfort zones, but it is addicting and the best thing I've ever done, I think every woman should do it!

By the way, 2 nights a week is usually the minimum committment so you should be ok with that. I've found that as I've progressed I WANT to go more often so I make time (plus I need the practice), but I don't have a husband or kids to deal with so my time is pretty flexible, I know its harder for my classmates who are moms.

Jill

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.