Margarine vs butter

Amni

Cathlete
My husband and i are having a dispute over which is better. I saw him spreading margarine on his bagel this morning and I said he should be using butter (if he had to use one of them) or maybe light cream cheese. Any thoughts from the educated crowd?

Thanks.

Neither!
Both are primarily fat and don't have much nutritional value.
Instead, use a light spread of peanut or soy or almond, etc., butter, or use jams, jellies, etc, with no butter/margarine.

Though if you really have to choose between the two, in general, butter is considered better than regular margarine because of the trans fats in margarine, BUT there are some new margarines out there now that are specifically made to not include trans fats and to help reduce cholesterol, and tub margarine is better than block margarine because the latter often has saturated fats and trans fats.

If you have to pick one of them...butter is better. Margarine has the trans fatty acids that will kill you! :) :) Otherwise do what Kathryn said! :) I don't use either.

Jo

They are both bad, but margarine is worse. Light cream cheese is also bad, but better than both. They are all empty calories with way too much of the wrong kind of fat. Low fat cottage cheese or nut butter are much better choices.

I agree about butter being better if you had to pick one. For me, I hate the taste of margarine plus I know it is worse for me than butter.

Joanne

Butter is much better. Butter is real. It is churned, not heat treated. Heating causes damage. Fat is not bad for you. All the cells of your body are made up from fats and proteins. Not carbs. Fats and proteins. They are essential for regeneration and body functions. Don't be worried about Butter. Be more concerend with the processed foods that are man made.

It depends on the margarine. If you are going to use margarine, make sure it's one without trans fat. Olivio, Brummel and Brown or Smart Choice are all pretty good and have no trans fat. Brummel and Brown has about half the fat of butter and regular margarine. Olivio is made from olive oil, so that helps your good cholesterol. Smart Choice is not bad tasting.

I think butter is OK if you don't use too much of it. Some people put slabs of it on. YUCK!

Yeah, what Donna said!! How come you guys don't use the "smart" margarines. They make em look pretty darn healthy these days...???

Hey, organic butter. I just read The Maker's Diet and learned a whole bunch about butter, meats (from a fat standpoint), and fats in general.

I highly recommend the book to those who already have a basic understanding of nutrition. Without that basic understanding, it could be scary and overwhelming.

I use a mix that I'm not sure if it's better or not. So much depends who you talk to. I mix butter half and half with veg oil - either olive or canola and whip it. You get a spreadable butter. We love it.

Trish

I don't eat margarine at all. I never really liked the taste of it. I don't eat butter all that often, but when I do I eat the Land-O-Lakes whipped butter (unsalted).

Aila:)

My husband and I have this debate all the time! I'm the one using margarine - but I use Becel (I think its a Canadian brand) which has zero trans fats and is low fat and low cal. I can't tell the difference. I figure without the fat or trans fat - its gotta be better. I don't use very much though. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used margarine. Plus I like it better because its easier to spread. I hate trying to spread butter on bread or toast - it always rips the bread apart - even if its at room temperature, its more difficult to spread and that drives me batty!}(

What Connie said. The markers diet is very, very good read and very up on knowledge. It makes me so sad when people think butter is bad and saturated fat kills or causes cancer. Yet they still eat margarine and man made food products. Butter is a healthy fat. It has not been damaged. Healthy fats, eggs, butter, cold pressed oils, meats (organic) do not damage cellular DNA as do damaged fat. I honestly believe that if you really want the truth about what you are and aren't eating and from a doctor, go to an Endocrinologist. They deal with all the different hormones of the body and they will tell you first hand that all the cells of the body are made out of fats and proteins.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.