Mammogram update

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi there,

So, it was a VERY long appointment today. First they did the mammogram, then the Radiologist wanted an ultrasound, then another mammogram, then he came in to do the next ultrasound. There is still one spot they are not sure about. He is consulting with the other Radiologist and they may want to do either an MRI and/or a biopsy or they may just wait until the next 6month check-up to see if anything has changed.

He did say that it was a good thing that the ultrasound didn't really show anything. So, we just wait & see for now. I'll be sure to let you know if/when I hear anything different.

Thank you all very much for your prayers!

Pam

Pam- I will definitely keep you in my prayers. You may wish to consider going with a lumpectomy rather than a biopsy. The advantage is that with a biopsy you run the risk of some cancerous cels getting loose.

I had a breast cancer scare about 5 years ago and luckily it turned out to be nothing. But, man, that was scary. It turned out that I have a breast ridge made of cartilage, not soft tissue, and it confused all the technicians. It took a surgeon to figure it out.

thank you very much, Alisha! Yeah- each time they came to call me back I got more and more nervous and then to be left hanging was no fun either!

I'm glad yours turned out okday!

Pam

Pam,
I am so sorry about all that waiting and uncertainty. My positive thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Natasha

You gals are sooo wonderful!! Thank you! I'm surprised my "right twin" is not bruised after all that squooshing, tugging, pulling, etc... you know the drill!

Hi Pam
I will keep you in my prayers. What a scary thing to go through!! I am a radiation therapist (29 years) and a negative ultrasound is a wonderful sign for sure. I would definitely breath a sigh of relief. In my experience, careful "watchful oversight" is fabulous for detecting any changes and responding with further studies/ biopsies when appropriate can be critical. If I were facing the same circumstances, I would opt for the breast MRI in 6 months in addition to the diagnostic mammo because it can be a more sensitive test to pick up on any changes. I agree with Rapid Breath upthread- if in the future a biopsy is recommended, go ahead with a lumpectomy so the pathologist has the whole mass to study, not just some cells that may not tell the whole story.
I know things will turn out fine- it seems like your doctor is on top of things and you obviously are pro-active in your health management. I would think of this as a blessing- I am sure you have been reminded of what is IMPORTANT in this life and have a renewed sense of gratefulness for all that LIFE has brought to you

Thank you Cathe! Serene, that you for your feedback. I will definitely keep this in mind and talk to my doctor about it. You guys are awesome!

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.