Lunch Ideas

Hillskip

Hi! I loved everyone's input about breakfast ideas (Rhonita, your ideas were great!) I have the same problem, but with lunch. I am a grad student and try to take my lunch to school everyday. I am very sick of turkey on whole wheat! Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Hillary

Hi, I have the same problem, even more so because I'm a picky eater. Here are a few things I've taken for lunch, and besides your tastes what works for you will of course also depend on whether or not you have access to a frig and microwave. But here are a few things I've packed for lunch:

StarKist tuna salad lunch kit....comes with tuna, light mayo, relish and some crackers; the whole packet is 210 cal, 7 grams fat, 17 carbs and 20 protein.

Lipton cup of soup, just add water and nuke it!

Baby carrots, an apple, banana, yogurt...some of the staples of my lunch.

Lean Cuisine has alot of new and improved meals, I just chose only the ones under 300 calories.

Instant Oatmeal...just add hot water, it's not just for breakfast anymore as the saying goes.

Some nights I'll make a double serving of stir fry in my wok, eat half for dinner and the other half is leftover for lunch the next day.

Anyway, those are just a few ideas, I'm sure others out there who arent as picky as I am will have some other ideas. I'd be interested to hear about them too!

Chow,

Stacy

Queen of Cusine

Hi Hillary,

You hit my heart!!! If you could respond to:

*How much time you have to prepare?
*What is your budget?
*What your tastes are?
*Can you warm up your lunch?
*Do you prefer cold lunches?
*Are you vegetarian? or whatever is healthy & low fat
*Do you like prepackaged foods?

I would love to help!

I've been reading cook books since I could read. I do read them from cover to cover. PLUS...Having to make 4 breakfasts and lunches a day! I would like to help!

Laura

RE: Queen of Cusine

Thanks so much for your responses! LoveMyLab--This is the second of my postings you've responded to--thanks! I, too, love to cook and read cookbooks, but I like all the thick rich sauces and cheesy things that take ages to make. I try to be really good during the week so that on the weekend I can cook something from one of my books on Saturdays. My problem is that I don't know that much about nutrition and am really trying to pay attention to portion sizes and food exchanges. I am not a picky eater--at all. I do have access to a fridge and microwave, but I prefer cold things at lunch (the microwave at school is a bit suspect). I'm not a vegetarian, and I don't have a huge budget, although it seems that all of my money is spent at the grocery store anyways. I'm of the opinion that it is better to spend money on groceries than buy lunch every day. Prepackaged foods are fine. When it comes to food, I am very easy to please!!! Any ideas that you or anyone else has really is very much appreciated. I must say that I love these Cathe forums--quick responses, good postings, nice people--I could not ask for anything more!
Hillary

I don't know if you have access to a microwave but this is what I do. I got a food saver (vacuum sealer) for Christmas. So, now when I cook, I make enough to have left overs. I used to eat lean cuisines almost daily. Now, I save a lot of soups, chicken chili, pork tenderloing with asparagus, and many other low-fat, healthy meals. I freeze them until I am ready to eat them. I heat them up just like I would a frozen dinner. I have found that soups, pasta (vegetable lasagna, healthy pizza), lean meats with veggies heat up really well. Today I am having a low-fat chicken enchilada for lunch.

Also,
There is a new yogurt out by Danon. It is called light and fit I think. It is really good and only has 120 calories per serving and it is a lot more yogurt than I am used to having. I stay away from most yogurt because it is so heavy on the sugar. I can't eat plain yogurt. It just tastes like soured milk to me. This yogurt has some aspartame (less than 1%). I don't usually go for any artificial sweeteners so this is the only thing I eat with aspartame.

There is also a good website that I have found for recipes. It is called www.allrecipes.com. It has all the nutritional information on the meals and you can read reviews on the recipe as well.

Hope this helps.

I don't know if you have access to a microwave but this is what I do. I got a food saver (vacuum sealer) for Christmas. So, now when I cook, I make enough to have left overs. I used to eat lean cuisines almost daily. Now, I save a lot of soups, chicken chili, pork tenderloin with asparagus, and many other low-fat, healthy meals. I freeze them until I am ready to eat them. I heat them up just like I would a frozen dinner. I have found that soups, pasta (vegetable lasagna, healthy pizza), lean meats with veggies heat up really well. Today I am having a low-fat chicken enchilada for lunch.

Also,
There is a new yogurt out by Danon. It is called light and fit I think. It is really good and only has 120 calories per serving and it is a lot more yogurt than I am used to having. I stay away from most yogurt because it is so heavy on the sugar. I can't eat plain yogurt. It just tastes like soured milk to me. This yogurt has some aspartame (less than 1%). I don't usually go for any artificial sweeteners so this is the only thing I eat with aspartame.

There is also a good website that I have found for recipes. It is called www.allrecipes.com. It has all the nutritional information on the meals and you can read reviews on the recipe as well.

Hope this helps.

I like to make a big Chefs salad to take for lunch. Or I will cook some chicken the night before and take it with a small salad. I love cold chicken. I like Tuna on whole wheat or whole wheat pita bread. I like a vegi pita sandwich with just a touch of Ranch dressing. Soemtimes I take cottage cheese with chicken. Thats about all I eat.

SusanR

Leftovers can be stretched with plain potatoes....one of my favorite lunches is chili with chopped up potatoes. Potatoes are the #1 most filling food, did ya know that? I also add potatoes to bean soup.

One of my favorite "from scratch" lunches is chicken breast with stir fry veggies and potatoes. You just have to cook the chicken breast (I microwave it) and the spuds, and dump in frozen veggies. Then you heat it up at lunch time. Just don't forget to season it. Bam!!!!

As for cold lunches, I make sandwiches. PB&J is good in a pinch. Ain't nothin' better than PB&J on wheat bread!!!!:9

Hello

Hi Hillskip,

This really is a great website. The folks here are intelligent, thoughtful, kind & humorous!
Thank you for responding with more info. Have some ideas for you.

First when I pack food I always put anything moist in one container and the dry in another. I don't like mushy food.
Second, I prefer kraft fat free mayo and use fat free salad dressing. My favorites are Italian & Ranch. I use fat free cheese.

*You can nuke a single potatoe for 10 min. and put in a plastic zip lock bag. In another container add any of these. Cut up tomatoes, green onions, celery, broccoli, fresh cilantro, basil, fat free parm cheese, butter buds, salsa, low fat sour cream.
The potatoe will stay warm until lunch.

*Tortias are great. We have fat free ones out here. Fill with:
Scrabled eggs or egg whites with salsa, lettuce.
Tuna with cut up celery, green onion, mushrooms, pickles, mayo.
Sun dried tomatoes, lettuce, shredded cheese, mayo.

*Make french toast the night before and let it cool completely before putting it in a container. I use eggs and seasonings only. Milk makes the bread soggy. Add either fresh fruit and fruit syrup.

*Miso Soup. (this is available at any grocery store that has a health food section. I prefer red or brown miso). Use a little to sautee vegetables but only cook 1/2 way. It will continue to cook until it cools. Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, shitake mushrooms, etc over yakasobi noodles or rice.

*Garden Burgers can be nuked at home put in a zip lock bag. In a container you can add the topping. Seperate bag for the bread or bun.

*Won Tons can be filled and stuffed with anything. I use tofu, cilantro, mushrooms, hoisin sauce. Then spray with cooking spray and broil on all sides till golden brown. If done the night before cool before there put in a container.

*Hot cereal cooked in the morning stays warm until lunch. Fruit syrup is a great topping.

Hope some of these ideas help!
Best To You!!!
Laura

Glad you liked my suggestions. Any of the breakfast suggestions I made can also go for lunch. Here goes again:

Vary the types of bread you use. Nothing is more boring than the same bread everyday. Freeze a couple of loaves and take out the slices as you need them. They will be defrosted by lunch and keep your sandwich cool. If you go by a bakery which has good rolls buy one or two to spice up your lunch.

Get a variety of mustards, spreads, and dilled pickles/peppers/condiments to spice up your sandwiches.

Get some dried fruit to put in your lunch. I love dried cherries, blueberries, apricots, peaches, and pineapple. Vary the types of apples or fresh fruit you pack. I love mountaineer apples and whenever I find them at the store I am happy for days.

I love almond and cashew butter. Check your healthfood store. I love to make sandwiches with almond butter and pumpkin butter.

Get out your George Foreman grill and make a grilled cheese sandwich the night before. Let it cool and pack it for lunch. I love the Velveta Light cheese. You cannot tell the diffence between the light and regular.

Pack a Boca Burger and a bun.

If there is a Trader Joe's near you, go in an browse around and see what they have which might liven up your lunch.

Good Luck,

Rhonda

Hi everybody - your lunchtime ideas all sound fabulous. I have a fairly unique problem with lunch. I work from 12 noon until whenever - at least 8 PM & sometimes much later. I work in a medical facility & I do not get a lunch break. (Yes, I know. What can I say? I love my job.) Anyway, I cannot leave for even 5 minutes, I cannot stop work at any time, there is no junk food on site (thank heaven!) and there is no time whatsoever to eat an actual meal. I have had to teach myself to eat bites here and there whenever I can stuff one in my mouth. The interesting thing is that it taught me to eat only when hungry, and most of all, it taught me how little amount you really need at any given time. Anyway, I eat a yoghurt every day, I sometimes eat a Health Valley Granola Bar, I take baby carrots, cut up fruit, string cheese - sometimes an uncomplicated sandwich which can be eaten in sporadic bites. Yes, there is a frig and a microwave, but the night crew never uses the microwave as we simply do not have time. (The day crew gets a lunch break if possible.) And there you have it - I have run out of ideas for simple healthy food which I can eat entirely on the run. I have never seen my situation mentioned in magazine articles or books. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Gee! What a situation! I guess I would stick to sandwiches which fill me up the most, and you can eat them in pieces. Also, tuna is very portable and come in wee little cans now. Luckily fruit is mostly naturally portable. You could eat dry cereal, too, out of a baggie. Maybe the thing to do would be to have your dinner before noon and you would stay full longer. I'm curious to see what suggestions you get for this one!

Dear Honeybunch , Thank you so much for answering my plea for lunchtime ideas on the run! My staff & I were particularly excited about the cereal in a baggie! It's amazing but none of us ever thought of that one. If you or anyone has a sudden brainstorm about it, we would certainly appreciate any more thoughts. By the way, if anyone wants to ask about problems with their pets, I would be happy to answer them if I can or find out an answer from my boss. Don't be shy - it is an open forum!

I'll start with a pet question....what is your opinion about de-clawing cats? Any cat I ever owned, I trimmed it's nails myself, but I think it would be easier to go the declawing route. Also, any cat I ever owned I kept inside. I am thinking of getting another cat now, a Himilayan, my favorite breed.

kitty declawing

Honeybunch, great question! I'd like to know the answer to this one myself. I love my cat dearly (persian, strictly indoor) but she really claws on the furniture, no matter how often I trim her nails, or try to discipline her. I've tossed around the idea of declawing but am concerned because I've been told it is cruel and painful for the cat. My parent's had their cat declawed years ago, and she seemed to come through it fine (and is strictly indoor as well).

RE: Gotta love soy milk for this one

You said you like cold lunches. I go either way but for cold lunches (you'll be able to tell I don't have a lot of time to eat lunch but you gotta eat if you work out like we all do), I keep Soyum Fat Free Vanilla Soy Milk in the fridge. I use my daughter's Hello Kitty thermos (you can of course substitute Bat Man or whatever) and fill it up in the morning. It will stay nice and cold. I then take one of those airtight Glad lidded plastic storage containers and fill it with the new and great tasting Kashi CRUNCH cereal. At lunch time just pour the milk in and it's very filling and satisfying. Sometimes I add a cut up banana or whatever to it. You feel so healthy eating this.

I also liked the tuna and whole wheat pita idea - I would also keep these items separate and throw it together at lunch. Don't you guys find that the whole wheat stuff gets soggy quickly? Anything is great with pita - chicken - even leftover salad from the night before. You could add some cooked shrimp to it and some fresh tomatoes - avocados - I could go on and on. I love food -

RE: kitty declawing

Ah, the declaw problem! Seriously, this is probably the most common question in veterinary medicine today. There are pros & cons to either side of the question, as you obviously realize. First of all, I will not mince words - a declaw is an amputation of the toes up to the first joint. Obviously this is not exactly fun for the cat, and there is certainly pain involved. In our hospital, all declaws stay for at least 3 days to ensure there is no infection. The patient must be on antibiotics & pain meds, and you can only use shredded newspaper for litter for 2 weeks after the surgery. Also, the surgery can be pretty expensive, although I don't know prices in your area of course. On the other hand, my doctor will do declaws because he know sometimes it is the only way a cat will have a good home. He will not do canine ear crops, because that is not the point for that. Let's face it, we all work hard for our money & most of us are just getting by! We can't afford to be replacing furniture over & over! Also, the cat doesn't know it has had an amputation - it only knows it is home & safe now! They usually do not know the claws are missing, they will "sharpen" them anyway. I have not declawed any of my own pets, but I have had declawed cats who came that way. On the other hand, I have old grody furniture! There is no easy answer to this question, you have to weigh your circumstances & see what you really want to do. If you go to a vet whom you trust, I'm sure he or she will do a fine job for you. Also, once a cat is declawed, you must be extremely careful to not let it get outside. Also, if another cat is in the household it is better if they are both declawed. I hope this input helps - let me know if you have any questions I haven't answered for you.

Forgot one of my favorites. Layer in a container fat free refried beans or any kind of bean you like, onions, salsa, reduced fat cheese, sliced olives...Bring some baked corn chips. Mix together and you have instant nachos. I eat it cold but I suppose you could heat in a microwave.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.