lumbar disc pain - OUCH!

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
I have been so plagued with health issues lately, and I'm ready to pull my hair out! As I've previously mentioned in other posts, I have an esophageal ulcer which is healing and feeling better (not sure of the cause, neg for cancer and CT scan ok) My primary issue now is I think I've got a bulging disc at my left lumbar area. I went to my mom's house with the kids over spring break and really over did it with yard work - a lot of bending, pulling, climbing, etc. It started hurting about 1-2 days later and has been spiraling down since.

Went to dr. last week - can barely walk after sitting. Walking is ok and lying down - that's it. Sitting in the car is painful - sitting anywhere makes me painful for hours. The pain does affect my whole left leg periodically with some shooting pain like sciatica. I know this isn't a typical muscle strain - i get those and they improve over about 1 weeks time. This is different - it's a pulsing deep gnawing pain with sometimes acute sharp pain. Funny thing, though I can be on my feet and working/walking all day and be virtually pain free. Drive my car home - doubled over in pain just from the 10 min. drive.

Dr. put me on cortisone dose pak but the first 2 pills totally wigged me out- I was all shaky and felt out of control so I stopped taking them and decided to take advil and rest. I was also worried that the systemic cortisone would also adversely affect the healing ulcer...I have enough medical knowledge to be dangerous,lol.

Anyone have any experience with lower back disc problems? Next step is MRI and physical therapy, I guess.

You wanna know what really sucks? Our family is taking a much anticipated trip out west to Yosemite in early June where we'll be hiking 4-6 miles/day. I have to get better by then....

Why is it you can take care of yourself - exercise and eat well and the bad health demons still find you. Damnit!

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated - this lying around all the time is getting old, but I have no choice in the matter!:mad:

Heidi

No advice, but I understand, I really do. Sucks, doesn't it???? I think sometimes because we are healthy and fit, we tend to overdo it in the physical activity department, and BAM!!!!! A new activity or extra of a familiar activity kick us in the boot-ay. Or we don't to anything different and our bodies just whack out on their own accord. Don't understand it either.

Hope you feel better soon, though. Rest, even though it sucks.:p

Nan

Thanks, Nan.

You are right, it doesn't make sense...I bet if I ate HFCS, MSG, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, white sugars, and smoked...that I'd be skipping over those trails in Yosmite;)

I shall rest for yet another weekend. Thank God for my netbook computer and by all mean, my dogs. They are the only ones who truly understand a sick person and exactly what to do:)

I do feel bad,though since DH is running his 2nd half marathon on Sunday and I won't be able to be there to cheer him on. It's supposed to be low 50's and pouring rain...I don't I could survive the drive there and then standing in that rain - sorry honey:( , maybe next time. He understands thankfully.

Heidi

lumbar disc problems

Hi,

I had 2 lumbar disc problems 2 years ago. I won't bore everyone with the details. If you want to know some of the ways I eased the pain, send me a pm. I was able to fix the seat of my car so that I wasn't in severe pain when I drove.

Tracy

Try Aleve instead of the Advil. I have a lot of low back issues, and Advil helps. The other thing I would suggest is heat before you exercise and ice after. I keep very big ice packs in the freezer. For me, sitting is the worst, too.

Nancy

I had intermittant back pain for about 5 years that I didn't take very seriously. It ended in a surgery for me, which was probably avoidable had I changed my behavior sooner. Luckily my surgery was successful and I have been relatively pain free for the last 4 years.

Ironically, I still have to do the things that would have prevented the injury in the first place to remain pain free. I HIGHLY recommend physical therapy at a good sports focused rehabilitation facility. If you live in the central ohio area I have one I can recommend to you that is fantastic.

The physical therapist will be able to evaluate your body to identify the causes of the lumbar pain. Sometimes it is differences in the length of your legs, it can be tight hamstrings that pull everything in the lower back out of alignment, tight hips will do the same. My problems are caused by tight muscles. I have to stick to a stretching program (only 10 - 15 minutes/day) along with regular physical activity and strength training or I get a return to pain.

I think it is very common to have the most pain while sitting. That was always my experience as well. I have found that it is also vital to get up and move regularly. The longer you sit/lie down the more inflexible you are and the pain ratchets up.

If you can get some gentle exercise (walking, elliptical, swimming) and do some very gentle stretches (no stretch max! many of those stretches can do more damage when you are already injured) you could be fine for your trip in June. If you push yourself and don't respect your limits you probably won't be.

I understand your hesitation with the cortisone. When I have extreme flare ups I dose up regularly with Aleve and my doctor prescribes me Skelaxin. It's a muscle relaxer but it doesn't cause drowsiness (at least not in me!).

One final thing about ice/heat that I learned in physical therapy. Both are important but have to be used correctly. You should never apply heat for more than 15 minutes at a time. Although it feels good while you are using it; it actually increases pain because it increases the inflammation in the muscles. The general rule given to me about when to use heat and ice is this: Use heat when your muscles are cold and you need to loosen them up for activity; use ice after activity to reduce inflammation.

Good luck, I know it's a tough road to recover but if you listen to your body and take things slow you can beat it!

Thanks, everyone.

Went back to the dr. this am - no MRI for now since I'm classic for a disc and it won't change our course of action at this time. This dr. said no the cortisone if it worried me and made me all funky. Started me on gabapentin (neurontin) for the nerve pain and I start physical therapy next week. I'll do whatever it takes. I am determined to beat this.

Now to breaking my heating pad addiction:eek: It's just so relaxing and soothing, but I'll try to back off and throw some icing in there as well.

I do agree about the activity level. I feel best when I'm actually at work on my feet and walking. I just have the techs lift all the pets for me and most clients are so understanding that I can't chase their dog around on the floor:confused:

I WILL MAKE IT TO YOSEMITE - PAIN FREE...that's my mantra.

Thanks,
Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.