Low Weight, Low Impact

Stacy

Cathlete
My goals are fat loss (15 lb weight loss) and some general toning/strength gains. Is this possible with NO impact and using light weight/higher rep? And, by "light" I'm talking primarily for lower body. I have some spine issues and can't do impact or squats with weights. I'm having a hard time coming up with a rotation and would love some encouragement or what has worked for someone else. (Post-menopause certainly isn't my friend right now!)

Hi Stacy, it is definitely possible to do non impact and using light weights/higher rep. Not sure if you have Cathe's DVDs that use this method: High Reps, Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance just to name a few. You can also use lighter weights on many of the DVDs to customize to your goals. Most important is your nutrition, like they say "80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so what you eat and how much you eat has a bigger impact on your fitness goals. I understand the post-menopause phase - I'm there with you!;)

Yes, improved body composition during the post-menopausal years CAN happen! It is NOT easy but I have seen results when I follow what I have read in the research - a COMBO of lots of sleep (need that recovery time, even with lighter weights and lower impact!), stress management strategies (keep that cortisol level in check through whatever works for you - yoga, meditation, walks in the woods...), optimal nutrition (decrease refined carbs, sugar, processed food), cardio (interval training a couple of times per week along with some steady state training) and resistance work (weights, bands, bodyweight, metabolic workouts).

Fortunately you still have lots of choices Stacy! Personally I would put in metabolic training at least once per week and interval training twice per week (spin bike, low impact Hiit) along with the resistance workouts that work for your body. The intensity needs to be high on some days of the week to make change, but the impact doesn't have to be!

Last edited:
Hi, Stacy! There is no need to try heavy strength training with your lower body if you are unable, I tore my ACL several years ago, and my physical therapist was amazed how strong my legs were, in spite of not doing traditional weight lifting. I had only been doing karate and body weight exercise.

I would recommend Cathe’s kickbox workouts, and any other kickbox workouts you can find. No need to do any high impact or jump kicks. Keep all the kicks grounded and incorporate body weight moves such as Cathe’s Lean Legs and Abs and Great Glutes.

Just a suggestion, it isn’t best for everyone, but this is what has kept me the strongest and most injury free.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.