Low Vitamin D

runlikeagirl

Cathlete
Hi All,

I recently found out that my Vitamin D level was low. Started taking over the counter vit D 1800 daily. Had my level rechecked and it was still low now I am taking prescription Vit D 50,000 units once a week for 2 months.

Anyone else here have a low level and how long did it take you to get it back up?

Lori

I don't have an answer to your question but I take Vit. D drops every day after my doctor and nutrionist both told me that most people are D defficient particularly during the winter months. I've never been tested though. Not to get too personal, but were you having symptoms that alerted you or your doc to Vit. D deffiiciency?

Lori, during a recent check up, my OB told me that the body can only process so much Vit D at one shot, so the pills that have you taking a serving of, let's say 2,000mg of D, at ONCE isn't very effective. (just like protein.....more than 20g of protein in one serving/meal is just dispensed by the body.) To regulate myself, I was told to continue with my normal "diet" (tons of veggies, dairy, etc) and get the supplement pill to add NO MORE THAN 800mg once a day, at a time of the day when it's been a few hours since I last ate. Does that make any sense...sometimes I talk in circles. :D (and I apologize that I can't tell you off-hand what she said the 'single serving max' is.)

Lori, during a recent check up, my OB told me that the body can only process so much Vit D at one shot, so the pills that have you taking a serving of, let's say 2,000mg of D, at ONCE isn't very effective. (just like protein.....more than 20g of protein in one serving/meal is just dispensed by the body.) To regulate myself, I was told to continue with my normal "diet" (tons of veggies, dairy, etc) and get the supplement pill to add NO MORE THAN 800mg once a day, at a time of the day when it's been a few hours since I last ate. Does that make any sense...sometimes I talk in circles. :D (and I apologize that I can't tell you off-hand what she said the 'single serving max' is.)

Vitamin D is not measured in mg, it's IUs (25 mcg are 1,000 IUs) which makes it really confusing :confused: and you can't get it through diet. It's either sunshine or supplement, or both.

I was given 5,000 IUs by my doctor every day for 6 months but I had a confirmed vitamin D deficiency, my vitamin D levels were in the toilet and flushed on top of it :eek: But at that intake I was monitored by my doctor. I take now between 1,000 and 2,000 IUs per day. I have to check with him next time I see him because I don't want to take more than my body can absorb.

Unless someone has a confirmed deficiency I don't think taking high levels of any vitamins is advisable. More isn't necessarily more better.

But get those vitamin D levels checked, ladies!! It's really important.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! Sounds like its going to take some time to get my levels back up. I have noticed that the pain has decreased a little. I agree with Hiitdog everyone should get their levels checkd.

:D

I read somewhere to take Vitamin D at night, which I have which makes me sleep alot better. A friend of mine's mother sugggested to take Chelated Cal-Mag (which I found on sale at BiLo so I stocked up. Also realllllly fresh farm eggs shells, crunched up and put in gelatin pills helps as well. I haven't tried the egg shells though.

Vitamin D is not measured in mg, it's IUs (25 mcg are 1,000 IUs) which makes it really confusing :confused: and you can't get it through diet. It's either sunshine or supplement, or both.

I was given 5,000 IUs by my doctor every day for 6 months but I had a confirmed vitamin D deficiency, my vitamin D levels were in the toilet and flushed on top of it :eek: But at that intake I was monitored by my doctor. I take now between 1,000 and 2,000 IUs per day. I have to check with him next time I see him because I don't want to take more than my body can absorb.

Unless someone has a confirmed deficiency I don't think taking high levels of any vitamins is advisable. More isn't necessarily more better.

But get those vitamin D levels checked, ladies!! It's really important.

OMG! Carola, I just realized you're right and I've gotten TOTALLY confused! I was actually talking about Calcium......I'm really REALLY sorry, Lori if I've totally confused anybody with MY confusion! OOPS! :eek: It's a Calcium + D pill that I take at night...............Good Lord.....where is my brain these days? Sorry again for the confusion!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.