Low Impact Series

I have used a chair. I suggest you use a metal chair that is up to your hip/waist height. I suggest you use a chair like Cathe uses, but any chair will do.

If you are on the fence about buying a Fit Tower, I would ask myself this question? Am I going to focus my workouts on workouts that need a chair? If you are doing a segment from one of Cathe workouts (for example, Cathe's Hardcore Boxing Workout has a segment that uses a chair), then I wouldn't invest in a Fit Tower. Now, if you are doing Cathe's TurboBarre, and you really want to concentrate on those exercises then do invest. It makes the workout more comfortable in you. It is really hard, but your hands and arms will not be pinching.

I wanted to ask if the Low Impact series is 'intermediate'? I had a feeling that it was Low Impact but still pretty much an advanced series...(I'm looking ahead to which series I could get into next - I have LITE and a couple of the ICE ones so I suppose I'm asking if the Low Impact Series would be more challenging than any of those).

I wanted to ask if the Low Impact series is 'intermediate'? I had a feeling that it was Low Impact but still pretty much an advanced series...(I'm looking ahead to which series I could get into next - I have LITE and a couple of the ICE ones so I suppose I'm asking if the Low Impact Series would be more challenging than any of those).

Low Impact for this series is not low intensity. It is challenging!!!!

Afterburn is part of the LIS and I find AB to be one her hardest workouts. I think the series is definitely advanced. Cathe uses the disks a lot and I find them very challenging, sometimes impossible, i.e. burpees into push ups, traveling planks into push ups. Yikes!

Thanks for all the info - I was aware that there are gliding discs used in LIS but wasn't aware that it was a lot. I do own some gliding discs that I've used in other trainers' workouts (and these would be less advanced workouts I'm talking about) and I don't like them at all. I just feel insecure using them. Do you think I could modify LIS or would I be better off looking at another series? I can't imagine a time when I would be happy using disks at all...but I am interested in the idea of low impact but advanced.

Thanks for all the info - I was aware that there are gliding discs used in LIS but wasn't aware that it was a lot. I do own some gliding discs that I've used in other trainers' workouts (and these would be less advanced workouts I'm talking about) and I don't like them at all. I just feel insecure using them. Do you think I could modify LIS or would I be better off looking at another series? I can't imagine a time when I would be happy using disks at all...but I am interested in the idea of low impact but advanced.

Before I owned gliding discs, I always substituted basically the same move. I never realized how different muscles are worked using the discs. I love them now for a change.

Yes, Low Impact is Advanced. It is more advanced then LITE and ICE. If you thought LITE was a little hard and you have difficulty with ICE, Low Impact will knock your socks off. That is one thing about Cathe, even if it says it is Low Impact it is still high intensity. And in this Low Impact series you need some guiding discs. You can use paper plates, or wash cloths as guiding discs. Personally, I think these workouts were made when the discs were all the rage. But, now they aren't. I would like to use the Cathe discs, but you can't buy them anywhere. Cathe has a Step routine in this one and you do pushups in it. That is how advance Low Impact is.

If I were you, I would get Cathe's OnDemand. After you buy it, you can look at all her workouts and decide which ones you want. You can get demand for a month and cancel it. If it was me, I would rather pay for On Demand and get the right DVD workout then spend $80 on a series and got the wrong one.

Jennifer

I agree LIS is advanced compared to LITE and ICE. Looking at Cathe On Demand is a good idea and you can do a trial free for 7 days. However don't be too put off by the more advanced workouts if you find something you really like. You can use the Timesaver premixes on more advanced workouts, use lighter weights, and modify moves to make the workouts a bit easier. I often modify jumping jacks where you just step out with one leg and raise one arm rather than jumping out with both legs and raising both arms. You can also modify scissor jumps by doing tap backs (kind of like a shallow rear lunge) at half the speed, so one tap back for two scissor jumps. On kickboxing DVDs where Cathe shuffles from side to side between combos you can do side steps and where she does jump rope you can just march in place. You can also pause the DVD between exercises if you are getting too winded. I often have to do this several times during workouts and just walk around until my heart rate comes down a bit before continuing on. Eventually you can work your way up to doing the exercises without needing to modify.

I agree LIS is advanced compared to LITE and ICE. Looking at Cathe On Demand is a good idea and you can do a trial free for 7 days. However don't be too put off by the more advanced workouts if you find something you really like. You can use the Timesaver premixes on more advanced workouts, use lighter weights, and modify moves to make the workouts a bit easier. I often modify jumping jacks where you just step out with one leg and raise one arm rather than jumping out with both legs and raising both arms. You can also modify scissor jumps by doing tap backs (kind of like a shallow rear lunge) at half the speed, so one tap back for two scissor jumps. On kickboxing DVDs where Cathe shuffles from side to side between combos you can do side steps and where she does jump rope you can just march in place. You can also pause the DVD between exercises if you are getting too winded. I often have to do this several times during workouts and just walk around until my heart rate comes down a bit before continuing on. Eventually you can work your way up to doing the exercises without needing to modify.
Totally agree! There was one of her workouts that she had an exercise was a one arm burpee. I was like, yea right! Instead of abandoning the workout I did two handed burpee. Modifying a workout is not a bad thing! Getting off the couch and doing something is better then doing nothing at all!

Also, premixes are awesome! Use them! I do! Especially if you are learning a new workout, a premix will make you feel like you aren't overwhelmed. If example, if it is for an hour and the moves are really tricky and tiring, do a premix. It shortens, the workout and you can concentrate on the exercises you are learning.

For the weights, I agree with totally! Most of the time, I don't do what Cathe recommends. Remember, Cathe has been doing this a long time and she has muscle mass. I put myself a beginner to weight resistance because I don't like doing it, I love Cardio because I love the sweat. But, you need to do weights that you feel that your muscles are working. For example, I don't use 1 pound weights for any weight resistance because that is to easy. Now, if one pound weights are hard then use them. But, you need to look outside your comfort zone with weights.

For example, Cathe uses, 10 pounds for shoulders presses. I can use 8 pounds, but if it is like using for cardio I use 5 pounds. But, it has took me like a year to get here. So, it depends.

Hope this has helped.

Jennifer

Thanks :) With regards to ICE/LITE, I've been building up my fitness for about 12 months and I got the these 2 series because I wanted to move towards more advanced programmes and I thought a Cathe intermediate might be advanced enough. Cardio-wise, they don't challenge me that much (I'd say they were on a level with the other workouts I've been doing in that regard, maybe a bit less challenging than some of them ) but my upper body strength is slow to develop and I'm pretty challenged by 10 pound dumbbells and at the moment don't think I could go heavier than that. I've been using 8s and 5s mostly up till my ICE/LITE purchases (My 1-3lb set was what I started out with when I began working out!). Of course, using heavier makes everything a bit harder but I'm working my way there. I think what I'd like is something that moves my cardio on more and I was intrigued by the notion of a very challenging yet low impact series. I enjoy the Cathe workouts I have and I do own some other 'advanced' ones which seem good (Peak 10 etc.) but I find the presentation or the mood of those a bit sort of - frantic? Don't know, it's not the workout that I don't like, rather the mood of it... :) And I like Cathe's calmer style.

I think I will give the ONDemand a go...makes sense.

Before I owned gliding discs, I always substituted basically the same move. I never realized how different muscles are worked using the discs. I love them now for a change.
Yes, that's what I suspected - I knew I could modify moves to avoid the dreaded (for me) disks, but the workout wouldn't be the same - I think it might end up being just cardio when with the disks would still get the same cardio effect but also some interesting muscle activation. I think I might practise a bit more with the disks, going slowly and see if I can get used to them. It's sort of a confidence thing.

(Also, even if I sweep my floor thoroughly before I use them, mine still get loads of dog hairs on them...):D

Thanks :) With regards to ICE/LITE, I've been building up my fitness for about 12 months and I got the these 2 series because I wanted to move towards more advanced programmes and I thought a Cathe intermediate might be advanced enough. Cardio-wise, they don't challenge me that much (I'd say they were on a level with the other workouts I've been doing in that regard, maybe a bit less challenging than some of them ) but my upper body strength is slow to develop and I'm pretty challenged by 10 pound dumbbells and at the moment don't think I could go heavier than that. I've been using 8s and 5s mostly up till my ICE/LITE purchases (My 1-3lb set was what I started out with when I began working out!). Of course, using heavier makes everything a bit harder but I'm working my way there. I think what I'd like is something that moves my cardio on more and I was intrigued by the notion of a very challenging yet low impact series. I enjoy the Cathe workouts I have and I do own some other 'advanced' ones which seem good (Peak 10 etc.) but I find the presentation or the mood of those a bit sort of - frantic? Don't know, it's not the workout that I don't like, rather the mood of it... :) And I like Cathe's calmer style.

I think I will give the ONDemand a go...makes sense.
I agree with LITE about not being cardio challenging. For instance, LITE Rev Rumble vs. Rock out Knockout. Rocking Knockout, I sweat so much more then Rev Rumble. But, like I said before, I am pleased Cathe made this LITE series. on days when I don't want to work really hard LITE is so perfect. Also, I hope this LITE series will bring more people to like working out with Cathe. This LITE series is less intimidating. I too like she is calmer too!

Ondemand, also has Cathe older workouts. Her older workouts are harder in my opinion. Hope you quest for your harder workouts works out! Jennifer

I am taking the plunge this week and trying On Demand/Cathe Live. I did have FitFusion subscription which I like but don't use much since I got into ICE and LITE so might as well try swapping it for the Cathe sub and see what happens.

Love the On Demand idea and watching the video clips on youtube or this website. LIS is one of my favorites and works well for my body type. It is challenging- Afterburn, Athletic Training, Total Body Trisets, but premixes are available and you can always modify and use the weight selection that works for you. When I first did the series years ago my body responded very well. It is really my favorite Cathe series.

I have got the ONDemand and am impressed at its scope and the frequency with which new content is added via the Live. I don't think any other subscription service offers so much new material. I'm going to look at the LIS and give some of the workouts a try; like I said before, I have used gliding disks and I own a set (think I got them for some Mindy Mylrea workouts originally and ended up donating those DVDs to the charity shop) but just don't feel secure/in control using them. I will practice. My first OnDemand workout was Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam and I loved it.

i took me awhile to use discs but they are fun and not hard once you practice/ i have to modify some moves but have learned to really enjoy using the discs with CATHE workouts

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.