Low Impact Series: What were they thinking?

I love it too - haven't noticed any annoying music. This series is awesome - as challenging as any of Cathe's workouts - maybe even more!

Cathe I'm enjoying this series so much! Some of the DVD's I've only done the premixes and boy am I feeling it!! The soreness is like no other. You really outdid yourself! Thank you so much!

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I must say that I am totally enjoying this series and the music doesnt bother me at all either -- Im concentrating way too hard to even notice!

There's music in this new series? :p

I love this series. I'm so busy focusing on the workout, I must not pay that much attention to the music. Although I admit singing along to Jesse's Girl in BM2!

Lisa

I haven't done any of the workouts in LIS yet, but have previewed several...I didn't notice anything about the music other than that there is a song in cycle max that I really, really like. Otherwise it all seemed good to me.

Hmmm...I never thought about this before, but i just realized that one of the reasons i keep reaching for Cathe's workouts isn't just because they always push me to do my best and give me a great workout, but also because I'm not sick of the music. In the past, I stopped doing workouts because I just couldn't stand to hear a particular song one more time. Anybody remember the step video Keli Roberts did with Cher a million years ago? I was an intermediate exerciser then and I really loved that video (no hating please if you didn't care for it), but had to give it up because I couldn't listen to those songs again. That hasn't happened with any of Cathe's videos yet and I've done some of them at least 100 times. I like that she doesn't pick popular songs that I've heard a million times and don't want to hear again.

As for weight workouts, Cathe could use bag pipes for all I care, because apparently my brain shuts off my ears in an attempt to save enough energy for that last rep. Seriously, it's the last thing I'm thinking of, although I like the music in HR, GS and STS, to the extent it's registered with me. :)

It's really too bad if you don't like the music, because that can be so demotivating...maybe you should consider a personal trainer who can cater to you personal likes and dislikes? It's more expensive than DVDs, but isn't your goal to be as fit as you can? You could request a routine with playlist, then go every month or so for a new one?

I have to admit, I would hate to be in Cathe's position. I have a friend who is a runner and always looking for songs for her playlist. I'm always looking for songs for my playlist, too, so when we find something great, we share it. In over 2 years, I've never put one of her songs on my playlist and she's never put one of mine on hers! The one and only song we both have on our playlists is Lady Gaga's Edge of Glory. Yet we're good friends with lots in common...music is so subjective! So how talented is Cathe to find music that so many of us like and can listen to over and over without getting bored? Unfortunately, no matter who you are, you can't please all the people all the time, because we're all entitled to our opinions and they vary so greatly!

Trixoo

Nicely put, Trixoo!!

Let's face it...not everyone has the same taste in music, so how do you please everyone??? This has got to be one of the hardest decisions to make when creating a workout DVD. I have never had a problem with the music Cathe chooses....most days I am too focused on getting the most out of the workout to care. I did Afterburn this morning...I can't remember the music...all I know is that I was having fun while getting my butt kicked!! In addition, my core is sore and I didn't do a single crunch...BONUS!!!

Thanks, Cathe, for all of the time and effort you put into creating another amazing series!!!!!!

LIS-the workouts are tremendous. This series is just as good as any of the previous ones. Kudos to Cathe, Crew and SNM for kicking my butt several more times.

No matter what kind music Cathe uses, her workouts are always top-notch and addictive. I like the music on some DVDs better than others, but it really doesn't matter because I always enjoy them and feel like the workout was time well spent. Whether the music is my preferred style or not, whatever Cathe puts out I'm buying because I know it'll be money well spent.

CATHE IS RIGHT THERES NO NEED TO BE RUDE

Wow Sherry! I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if I replied to you saying "HEY SHERRY, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING!!!!!!!" There is just no reason to be so rude!

That being said....

Over the last decade or so the fitness industry has moved towards training the body more functionally/as a whole, rather than focusing on separate muscle groups. So rather than just doing standard crunches or include a separate ab/core section, I chose to work the body in its entirety. I did this through the use of compound, synergistic and functional movements. This gets the same "core job" done more effectively because in addition to working your abs/core you also get improved overall performance, better posture awareness, and an enhanced metabolism :)

Cathe,THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE SERIES!!!! I LOVE THE MUSIC AND I AGREE WITH SOME OF THE LADIES SAID, YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT BECAUSE WERE HAVING OUR BUTTS WORKED BY YOU :D

THERES IS NO REASON TO BE RUDE!!!!!

I remember

Anybody remember the step video Keli Roberts did with Cher a million years ago? I was an intermediate exerciser then and I really loved that video (no hating please if you didn't care for it), but had to give it up because I couldn't listen to those songs again.
Trixoo

TOO funny I had this workout and i also luved it! especially when we would say "hello bench":) but theres a certain song that when I hear it on the radio it takes me back to that video till this day!!!!

I usually don't post on threads when all I have to say is "me too," but in this case I'm making an exception. I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have to admit that I am completely bewildered by some of the comments I've seen about the LIS workouts. Now that I've done Afterburn, Athletic Training and Slide & Glide twice each, I can say that they're three of my favorite workouts EVER. I found Afterburn and Athletic Training to be extremely challenging, and I've been doing advanced workouts for many years. Cardio Supersets, Turbo Barre and the TriSets I've only done once each so far, but I thoroughly enjoyed them as well. (To cover the other LIS workouts: I don't have Cycle Max because I don't have a spin bike. I'm not a step choreography fan or a yoga lover, but I knew that before I did Low Impact Challenge or the yoga workouts, so there was no disappointment there.)

Anyway, Afterburn and Athletic Training are the two stand-out LIS workouts for me, because they leave me feeling thoroughly worked out and exhausted (in a great way!). I would not want to tack on any extra ab work to Afterburn...or anything extra at all...well, except for five more minutes of lying on the floor wondering what just happened to me?!?

One more thing...I've heard so many negative comments about the music, especially in TriSets. When it comes to music in workouts, I rarely notice it at all unless there's something unusual about it or the vocals/lyrics get on my nerves. My favorite workout music is instrumental rock, and I don't care about keeping movements in sync with any "beat," unless it's a step workout when that is necessary. My least favorite music is anything with poor singing or lame lyrics, I loved the music in STS, and my favorite music in LIS is (wait for it...) TriSets! But then again, I've only been a serious music lover and performer for over 25 years...so what do I know?? :D

So... I just wanted to say thanks to Cathe for the new series, and I can't wait for whatever you have in store for us next!!

Lindsay

RE: music

I do like a good music track, especially with cardio like step, kickboxing, etc.
Music can definitely move you in cardio, for example, Gin M's selections in Intense Moves absolutely rocks for me.
Cathe's has had some awesome tracks on too.
I even love the 'crazy-agey' music in the Firms FitPrime series.

But I have noticed that I am at the point that in most other kinds of workouts, I'm just lookin' for a good 'beat'. And I kinda like it to be a bit loud compared to the instructor too.

Different strokes for different folks!! (sorry...just hadda but that in there) :D

Thank you for your feedback Everyone! I appreciate all you want to share with me as I find it very helpful and constructive. I totally understand that everyone's likes and dislikes vary. That's what makes the world a special place. My only request for our forum community (and one that we do enforce) is to please be kind and polite when speaking to one another regardless of your opinions on any given topic. I rarely have to even post this friendly reminder because by nature I think most people are quite friendly to one another, even during disagreements.

Thanks All :)

I haven't quite done all the workouts yet, but I love the way the core work is done in this series and I'm definitely feeling it. :D It could easily be called Low Impact Core Series, because there is so much work for the core all throughout.

As for music, I really don't pay much attention to it. Actually, when I saw all the comments about the music for Total Body Trisets Upper Body, I decided I'd pay attention and then when I was done with the workout, I couldn't remember a darn thing about it! I was too busy just trying to get through it. :p

I am totally in love with the series.

I am confused (and somewhat saddened) by the original poster's harsh, negative comments...I don't know what workouts she is doing, but my LIS is jam packed with functional core work! Holy walking planks and dive bombers!
I just LOVE the new series. I have every workout, but I think these are my new favorites. Thank you, Cathe, for never bringing us less than the best!

Well all I've done since I received LIS is LIS and my abs are sore from the top of my ribcage to my hip bones so I'm pretty sure LIS is working my abs. :D

Just wanted to add that you should always be focused on contracting your core for the exercises. I much prefer working core that way than doing crunches.

Beth

Maybe the OP is thinking that ab work needs to be done traditionally? :confused: Not realizing she's working her abs in a totally different way.

I for one hate traditional ab work. So the ab work in this series is great for me. :)

Just wanted to stop by to say that my abs are ON FIRE after doing Turbo Barre and Tri Sets upper body split between y'day and today! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.