Low Carbers and Friends - 1st qtr 2016

Thank you Lita, for the new thread, and the good wishes! Happy New Year to you as well, and to Rhea and Melinda too! :D

I was in bed before midnight this time, but got out and enjoyed some festivities beforehand. :cool:

Looking at the new ICE users guide, I really like the rotations Cathe made that include the last 3 series. I'll be doing those after I finish the Beach Body Hammer and Chisel 60 day program. I am not planning to be too rigid on the Beach Body program, will do what I can. It's a 6 days a week program with a day off in the middle of the week. Well...that doesn't quite work for me. o_O:p

I did the Chisel Upper Body and Icy Core 1 yesterday. My arms had already been beaten up from Upper Body Tri-sets and this was a nice workout that didn't kill me. The abs were tough though! I like that you can go heavier in the workout in almost every exercise if you want to. I have done other workouts where you do compound exercises with a single weight and it was great for one move but too light for the next one.

Here's to a great year for everyone! Mine's starting off well--it's sunny and 25 degrees! And no one has been at the property next door for weeks now. It may have something to do with the power being shut off but I don't care why! :D

Happy new year everyone! Thanks for the new thread LIta. Hope everyone is happy and healthy. Had a bit of a scare with me, the white of my eyes are yellow. But it is not my liver or the few things that can be related to the liver. I have to go to an opthamologist. I think there is probably some sort of eye infection, my primary care said no, but I did wake up this morning with some goop in them, didn't have that before.

I haven't done any of the ICE workouts yet. I won't be doing them until after I finish the Hammer and Chisel rotation. Interesting workouts; the first one, Chisel Balance, fried my hamstrings and I wobbled all over the place. I sure hope it gets better.

Weather wise, we are getting snow again! Yeah and pfft. Need the water, just don't like having to get up earlier to drive to work.

Well, back to work for me. Have a great day everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi fit babes! I hope you've been able to see the eye doctor Rhea! And that you are on your way to getting better. :)

We're socked in with fog of all things! Been that way this whole week. Fortunately, it's not cold enough to freeze. That is really no fun! Portland was pretty much shut down on Monday due to ice. I do not miss that! Even though I'm farther north, we don't get freezing rain. We had a little bit of snow last weekend and that's been it for the season.

Started Hammer and Chisel this week too and I realized (again!) that it's good to mix in workouts from other instructors. Why? 'Cause I've been hurting in different places!

Have a great weekend babes!

Hey everyone!

Tracy - are you doing the rotation? I started up H&C Monday or so and have found that they are short, but intense. I like Autumn, but not sure about Sagi. I do like the series though.

I am doing the rotation Rhea. And I like it! This is the first time that BB has done a number of workouts to get us through a challenge without constant repetition. I like Autumn too and she was the instructor for 21 Day Fix Extreme so I knew what to expect a little bit from her. Sagi cracks me up! He acts arrogant and may very well be, but he has a sense of humor too. I think he and Autumn compliment each other well on these workouts. But I can definitely see why Autumn thinks of him as a brother--I can see him being a handful!

I crack up at him because he reminds me of Arnold Swartze...however you spell it, with that accent!

Rhea - Any update on the eye situation?

Tracy - Any sign of sun yet?

Melinda - Hope you are doing okay!

Oh, yeah, the eyes. Well, not the liver nor anything that would cause it internally. Eye doctor stated that no structural damage in eyes; so he thinks it was my supplements, just not sure which one. He guessed that it was probably the multivitamin mixed with dehydration (which my blood tests actually stated there was a possibility because of a slightly high level on what indicates kidney stuff). So too much beta carotene in my system that was properly being flushed out. I went and looked at my vitamins and they were actually two years old (took me a while to take them all). Then I looked at the ingredients for the Shakeology shakes that I had in the past two weeks (about three of them) and guess what....100% vitamin A, beta carotene. Plus the carrots I've been eating and probably beta carotene from the vitamins and I had an overload. So no beta carotene for me for a while. I have to have a least 8 cups of liquid a day (been downing that water and other.... I'm floating!). Eyes have been getting better. I even have been using the eye drops more and wearing the contacts less. My eyes have been watering a bit and eye doc stated that if eyes are tearing, means they are dry. I didn't know that....My eyes never felt dry, but I guess I needed drops. He also told me that if you take allergy meds (like I do) that tends to not only dry up your sinuses, but will effect the eyes. So I'm changing habits with the eyes and making sure that they get moisture too.

How have you been doing?

Rhea - I am so glad they figured out and it's not a serious problem! That's the problem with all these "wonder" things - Vit D3, beta-carotene, etc - everyone adds tons of them and the consumer ends up w/ problematic amounts :rolleyes:. Look at the sudden rage over D3 - my one doc said "you can't have too much" and I told her to bite her tongue. That's exactly what they said about Vit E. I had a different doc put me on high doses of that (that was before menopause) and I ended up w/ a tumor that was turning cancerous. Guess what? They figured out high levels of Vit E increased the risks of such things.... There truly IS too much of even "good" things - even too much water isn't good for you! (Well, right now you need it - so keep on chugging :).) Hopefully the eye issue will go away before you flush all the electrolytes out of your body ;).

I'm plugging right along, thank you :D. I'm too ornery to be anything but good :p!

Okay - here is my brief low-down on ICE. Of course, it is all how it worked for *me* - YMMV ;).
- For all of them except MM chest and MM biceps, you have enough time to go heavier and even add on more reps. Only a couple exercises caused me problems w/ the # & speed combined. I went heavier on everything except one exercise - both strength and cardio workouts.
- MM chest and MM biceps are at Energizer speed. With 12s like Cathe uses that's fine, but if you want to heavy up, plan on adding more time to these.
- The compound moves on MTB didn't work for me so I plan on focusing on the back since I think it has very little focus in these workouts. E.g. the dbl arm row/upright row series - I plan on eliminating 90% of the uprights so I can go a lot heavier on the dbl arm rows. Also the back row/fly I plan on eliminating/cutting back on the shoulders and concentrating more on back.
- MM back, MM triceps, MM shoulders - Cathe does so much talking that I was able to get started long before her which gave me ample time to go heavier and still have appropriate rest periods. Just the opposite on MM chest and MM biceps. However, having said that, for 3 days after MM tris I could barely move my arms :p and now I am experiencing the same thing on my bis :cool:. My upper chest is definitely feeling it, too. I went heavier on all and added extra reps on 1st round of bis and both sets of tri dips (doubled them)
- I added on a set of chest to MTB since it only had one exercise. I think I added on tris to MTB or BC - can't remember which one. On most workouts I added x reps in add'n to heavier wts.
- The only BB I did was on RSK but I didn't do a lot of the 1st blast. It primarily was running in place - a big no-no w/ an artificial hip. And it went on for ever.... I modified a lot of it then got bored and moved on to the next blast. The biggest advantage to RSK is it's chaptered so I can repeat the LI segments and skip most the HI.
- LI Sweat 2 is harder than 1 but neither one is hard enough to do alone or just do once. I will do both or do one or the other repeating the cardio part.
- All cardios have only core 1 so I haven't gotten to core 2 yet. I prefer to do abs w/ the cardio but haven't had the time or inclination to switch discs just for abs. The workouts have some ab work in them so doing core 1 once a week was good enough for me so far.
- Cathe still knows how to count :rolleyes:.... Not as bad as in STS but still more than I care to listen to ;). (Just a personal fetish, though :p. I'd rather hear what muscles I'm working or form pointers or something that hearing someone count ad nauseum to 8 and back down...)

Hi fit babes! Good to see you Lita! Melinda, hope to see you soon!

I'm glad to hear your eyes are getting better and it isn't requiring medication Rhea! A friend of mine was once told by a doctor to take 10,000 IUs of D3 and I told her that was nuts! I take 2000 in winter because no Lita, not much sun here. :rolleyes:

Thank you or your report on ICE Lita! I am looking forward to mixing them into her previous series. I've been doing the Beach Body workouts for 2 weeks and like the change but also miss Cathe. I admit I don't miss her counting though. Form tips are given throughout what I'm doing now and I've learned stuff. Cathe may think we know it all because we've worked out with her for years but we forget things. Perhaps we can post our request on her workout ideas forum! :D

Still working out 6 days a week which I'm not used to. I definitely feel it in different areas so that's a good thing! I can see myself skipping a weekend day now and then 'cause it interferes with my running with BB, and other, perhaps more fun, activities! :p Rhea, are you doing the nutrition portion of the program too? I'm just doing what I've been doing to maintain the weight loss I got last year. Neither I nor DH want me to be chiseled like they are in the workouts. :cool:

Have a healthy week sweet babes!!

P.S. Rhea, I've noticed that Sagi isn't always consistent in his breaks between rep counts so between the 2, I like Autumn better. :)

Lita, I started a thread on Cathe's workout request forum (I forgot the name of it already!) asking for more form pointers. :D

Okay -I did CUB yesterday and MTB today. I eliminated some shoulders to go heavier on the back (both workouts have compound moves in them) and I will say that by the end of today's workout, I thought I'd be happy if I never saw a row again :p. So next time I do these (along w/ BCC) in the same week, I might not take out all the shoulder work but just compromise on a couple of the exercises. However, I still added in tris and chest both days (not many sets but enough to feel like I actually used them a bit).

For some reason my legs are really stiff this week so I may end up doing TTM tomorrow instead of CLB. The best thing about TTM is no pizza presses :p (which I don't do anyway ;) ).

Are you talking to yourself again? I haven't even tried to do the new ICE series yet. I wore myself out doing Hammer and Chisel right off. I wasn't used to working out that much (even though I only did a few days on and off again!). Of course, it could have been that really long weekend I just had...no workouts, just a lot of socializing. You know me, like to stay at home. I told DH that after two drinks, I need to start duct taping his mouth so that he doesn't invite people over. LOL. He actually agreed because he was exhausted on Sunday and really didn't want to have company. Thankfully, our friends that did come over were actually really quite ( I think they might have been hung over a bit, but who knows).

Okay, I'm back to work and have to stop procrastinating.

Rhea - Sometimes it's best when I talk to myself 'cause I usually understand what I'm saying :p ;)! So you had party central going on, huh :)? I think that would be more exhausting than working out :D.... (Glad to finally see someone, though :cool:!)

Hi fit babes! I had to find this thread, I lost it somehow! :eek:

Too funny on party central at your house Rhea! I never feel like my house is in good shape to have people over. So no one ever comes over! :p

I went to Portland this past Sat. for a short girl trip which was followed by a stair climb on Sunday. 3rd time I've done this one! I did better this time with my pace because of the weight I lost so I was pleased. But I was so tired by the time 9 p.m. rolled around on Sunday that I was not even functioning! And sleep hasn't been great the last 2 nights so I'm not recovered yet!

Lita, are you doing one of the ICE rotations that Cathe put together or doing your own thing?

We're having management issues at work too so I imagine that has me a bit tired as well. I had to tell my division chief that I feel manipulated by his second in command. He was supportive (thank God) but we have a big problem to address and it's not going to be pretty. I'll ask this again: Why can't people just be normal??? :rolleyes::confused:

Still doing Hammer & Chisel but not going for a ripped physique or anything!

Have a great rest of your week fit babes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.