Love This Article...

MomInVT

Cathlete
http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/05/a...one-who-has-told-women-dont-get-too-muscular/

I watched the clip of the 4-year-old girl talking while my 1.5-year-old daughter was in the room. She didn't see the screen, but she heard the audio. And after, she repeated, 'skinny, strong'. She'd never said the former before. I almost puked. We had a conversation about how mommy is strong (I threw a little flexing in there, just for effect ;)).
It's so sad, what society's putting girls and women through.

And in case you need a little more fuel for a kickboxing sesh, here's another grrrr-inducing article by the same author:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sophia-herbst/1200-calories_b_4816597.html

Roz, your daughter is so lucky to have such an awesome role model. I am thankful every day that my (now grown-up) daughter doesn't like skinny. OK, so she doesn't like muscles either :confused:, but she has a healthy weight and attitude. I'm also thankful that my DH loves the fact that I'm strong.
I get the feeling that attitudes ARE slowly changing. We must keep putting the message out there!

When women strength train, it is an act of borderline social disobedience. “Don’t get too muscular” is the phrase of choice used by people who are threatened by strong women to put them “back in their place”.

This above just sum it up all.

Comment such as " My leg bulk easily" are all part of this "Don't get too muscular" culture.
Sad truth is women still buy this! I do not:eek::eek:

I cannot believe how true this is and was when I was growing up. I'm 40 now and growing up, my brother was extremely skinny but ate like a pig and hated anything to do with moving around unless it was shopping at the mall. I loved fresh fruit, sports, and anything else that had to do with moving and jumping around. I did all kinds of sports like swimming, track, gymnastics, & even football. By the time I was 13, all my mother could do was to tell me how big I am. The usually term was "thunder thighs". That's when I started my eating disorder. I still did sports but only ate lettuce and when I was 16, I only weighed 85lbs but was already almost 5'6" tall. That was the one time I was told by my mother that I looked good, but we won't mention how many times I was sick and fainted. I am so glad that there are women here that tell their daughters how to be healthy, it just brings warmth to my heart. I still have food issues at times, esp. since my mother moved back closer to me again, but my husband is great and always telling me how beautiful I am. The only time he says anything is when he tells me my butt is getting too small and I better get working on that. He doesn't want to feel bones when he hugs me, he likes feeling muscle (with some fat) because that is what a women should feel like. I'm rambling but thank you for posting these and helping to change the future of what women should look like.

It is all good Kim ;-), it is good to "ramble"about this important topic for us women.
This cause a lot of body image and Low self esteem issues. Growing up I was the one with thunder thighs and my
sister was the skinny who could eat pretty much without putting on weight! I was miserable :-(

Now funny, she buys jeans and gives them to me instead of returning, claiming they do not fit her;
I fill them out with glutes lol. We pretty much weight the same but she is 7cm taller than me!

I remember visiting my parents, after my first bodybuilding competition. My mother looked at me and said, "Karen, you're a female, you're not supposed to have muscles." My dad's comment? "Damn, you look spectacular!!" "Let's go to the gym this afternoon, you can show me what to do." My sisters loved it, my husband loved it. Everybody, but my mother. But, that was just her generation. Eventually, she did accept it, and had a few of my pictures displayed in the house. For my kids, that was just mom. They aways asked me to "make a muscle," and loved it when I flexed a bicep. All my kids, (including daughters) now "make muscles" for their kids. Strength, a great gift for the next generation. Thanks Roz, for posting these excellent articles.

I cannot believe how true this is and was when I was growing up. I'm 40 now and growing up, my brother was extremely skinny but ate like a pig and hated anything to do with moving around unless it was shopping at the mall. I loved fresh fruit, sports, and anything else that had to do with moving and jumping around. I did all kinds of sports like swimming, track, gymnastics, & even football. By the time I was 13, all my mother could do was to tell me how big I am. The usually term was "thunder thighs". That's when I started my eating disorder. I still did sports but only ate lettuce and when I was 16, I only weighed 85lbs but was already almost 5'6" tall. That was the one time I was told by my mother that I looked good, but we won't mention how many times I was sick and fainted. I am so glad that there are women here that tell their daughters how to be healthy, it just brings warmth to my heart. I still have food issues at times, esp. since my mother moved back closer to me again, but my husband is great and always telling me how beautiful I am. The only time he says anything is when he tells me my butt is getting too small and I better get working on that. He doesn't want to feel bones when he hugs me, he likes feeling muscle (with some fat) because that is what a women should feel like. I'm rambling but thank you for posting these and helping to change the future of what women should look like.

I'm so sorry your mom said that kind of crap. But so glad you got a dh that loves you and encourages you. My dh also likes the muscle he usually say something about how hard my back and legs are and will equally say something about is my booty getting smaller LOL which it doesn't but it does drop a bit if I don't do squats/hip thrust and other booty work which is do to being 45 and not 25 but he mean well LOL

I don't have daughters but I work in medical field that leads to seeing all type of unhealthy stuff young women will do to look a certain way.

I absolutely hate photo shop and it pisses me off that oxygen, muscle fitness hers photoshop. The ladies area top health why change them. We have real issues if the leading ladies health mag still do fake crap. I get something like cosmo or vogue but fitness mag should just me "REAL" end of my rant and ramble.

Question to karen while we are in this topic of competition. Hope you do not mind me asking:

Would you still have competed if you were single with no partner supporting you?:);)

When I see a woman with a muscular body,I know she has put serious effort and time to achieve it...how can you NOT be impressed! When "Subway Jared" lost his weight,I was impressed with the effort it took to do it, even though I think he would have had a better result with resistance training. Our bodies are meant to be used, and IF that develops them and enlarges parts of us..GREAT

Question to karen while we are in this topic of competition. Hope you do not mind me asking:

Would you still have competed if you were single with no partner supporting you?:);)

Absolutely!!! The support you get from family is great, however, you spend a lot of time at the gym. Fortunately, my gym had a nursery, that my kids loved. I tried to get my workouts done during the day, so I could spend my evenings with my husband and kids. I had a great job at the time, (firefighter) so working out was part of my job, and I did a lot of it at the station. My work hours, twenty-four hours on, three days off, twenty-four hours on, four days off, also helped immensely. No partner support? No one to worry about but yourself. Workout anytime you want. My family was the best. All the support and encouragement I needed. My husband was always front and center for every competition!! What a guy!

Last edited:
No one to worry about but yourself. Workout anytime you want. My family was the best. All the support and encouragement I needed. My husband was always front and center for every competition!! What a guy!

Yes you can be proud to quote "what a guy" you have and still making all the effort for training. So he is one of the luckiest:)
For someone like me, no children, no partner it would not bother me not have such support.
If I had to embark on competition It would be a lonely journey...not that I would complain.
Yes I would have my mother telling me the same as yours claimed. It could be perceived as I could be too
self-centered which I am not:):):)

Now living the muscular liftstyle and being a single woman ...Hmmm that is another topic:eek:

Want to see some strong fit women of all shapes and sizes? Watch the Women's World Series of Softball or the French Open......these women are roll models of strength and fitness in every shape and size.....and they don't care what they look like, they just play hard.
I've been watching some of the French Open and you are right. Just see how fit they are, I think they all look great. I wish I was able to pick up tennis, just don't have the coordination for it. I love the power they all have!!!

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that your mother said those things to you, but I'm happy to hear you have such a supportive spouse. I hope living near your mom isn't too triggering for you. Big hugs. Hope you're doing well. I know this has been a hard few months for you.

I cannot believe how true this is and was when I was growing up. ....

firemedic, sad to say, but I think we had the same mother. :( One of my mom's personal favorites was "a minute on the lips, forever on the hips." Awful, right?

BUT, I can also say--with much joy--that I've quieted and killed the body hating demons given to me by my body shaming mother. Honestly, I now understand that she was simply verbalizing her own body hatred and food issues. Doesn't make it any better but at least it gives me a reference point and has helped tremendously in my personal healing. Now I am to the point where I am almost grateful for my past because now I know exactly what NOT to do with my two daughters. I am committed to doing my all so that they will love and honor themselves, and modeling a truly healthy lifestyle for them.

HUGS to you firemedic and to all of us who have had others try to shame us for our bodies!!!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.